Wiki Posts
Search

Overnight layover in Amman

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
A question for Rami Tamimi, please.

I might be passing through AMM to BKK in the New Year. I see there is a 6 hour stop in AMM on the return.

I am aware of the RJ provision for lay overs of more than 8 hours from your previous posts.

I seem to remember that there is a transit hotel near the gates that are often used for the BA flights but cannot seem to find any details of it or how to book in advance or costs for walk up etc.

Can you help please?

Thanks in advance.
Well, my answer is probably going to disappoint you. There is very little data on this facility. It's a Priority Pass lounge and has a few hotel style rooms inside (think BA/CX F lounge cabanas). I recall seeing a few very low-quality pictures when I tried to research about this "hotel" and I will insert the links here when I find them.

I think the only way to find out about it is to try it yourself. Something suggests to me that they operate on a first come first served system (ie: no prebooking allowed).
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks Rami Tamimi.

Will certainly ask for a free room if I book RJ and if it is not provided, will try the ‘hotel’ or crash out on the sofas at the far end of the Crown Lounge and make sure I have my old BA F Eye Shade’s with me.

A QF code share on EK A380s is only £200 more (6 hour stop over at DXB ion outbound rather inbound on RJ) so I may avoid RJ again as I did last year when I used AY and QR.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Thanks Rami Tamimi.

Will certainly ask for a free room if I book RJ and if it is not provided, will try the ‘hotel’ or crash out on the sofas at the far end of the Crown Lounge and make sure I have my old BA F Eye Shade’s with me.

A QF code share on EK A380s is only £200 more (6 hour stop over at DXB ion outbound rather inbound on RJ) so I may avoid RJ again as I did last year when I used AY and QR.
RJ J kits also contain the eye shades

In the days of bmi, there was a codeshare on the LHR route, so one could transit from RJ@BKK to BD@LHR on a 90 minutes or so connection...but the EU regulators prohibited BA from codesharing with RJ on this route (as part of the restrictions package which came with the BD takeover by BA)....perhaps the codeshare will be back after Brexit

On my last AMM-HKG trip I also transited via DXB (RJ+CX)....just for a change.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I just transited AMM from BKK to TLV - had a 14 hour layover. They gave us the hotel vouchers, then at the hotel, the hotel manager said the vouchers weren't valid because we were flying on an AA award ticket. I called AA and they claimed to know nothing about it. They put us on the bus right back to the terminal where we sat for a while. We did however pay $37 each (for the tour) plus about $10 cash each for admission to the various sites for a tour to mount Nebo and the church in Madaba which also included a full lunch of kebab, roast chicken, hummus, eggplant salad etc. No visa was required for the tour so for less than the cost of a visa ($60) we got a nice tour plus lunch.

Anyone know whether this information they gave about the hotel is correct and if there's some kind of chart that shows which fare classes include the hotel or not? Overall I found RJ and AMM to be quite pleasant so I'd like to fly them again, but not if I have to wait in the airport terminal for 14 hours.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Generally award tickets do not qualify you for things like hotels or limo transfers but you should never have been given the vouchers (assume the transit desk person never checked your tickets as the hotel clerk did) in the first place. As I'll be flying RJ to BKK next month curious about the inflight service on that route.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Generally award tickets do not qualify you for things like hotels or limo transfers but you should never have been given the vouchers (assume the transit desk person never checked your tickets as the hotel clerk did) in the first place. As I'll be flying RJ to BKK next month curious about the inflight service on that route.
Can't comment on the service as I was asleep from the moment we took off until about 40 minutes before landing. Breakfast was a joke however.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:14 am

Award tickets entitle you to the transit hotel in the same way as revenue tickets on RJ. I don't really understand why would the hotel staff question this.

Agree that the breakfast is a joke ex BKK...you do get a full hot meal immediately after departing BKK in both Y&J +a hot meal in Y if you are coming from HKG&KUL.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
A quick question, arriving AMM on RJ and departing following afternoon on EY. Have booked a hotel in town and wondered if this itinerary qualifies for the 48hrs twov?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Just to answer my own question- one cant enter Jordan on a twov, you have to shell out the ridiculous 40JDs fee for entry to Amman. Not that great.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by ashkale
Just to answer my own question- one cant enter Jordan on a twov, you have to shell out the ridiculous 40JDs fee for entry to Amman. Not that great.
Do you know how much we have to pay for a visa when going to the US/UK/Schengen Area/etc? and how much paperwork we 've got to fill...transit or not. I would pay the 40JD fee on arrival on any day.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
Do you know how much we have to pay for a visa when going to the US/UK/Schengen Area/etc? and how much paperwork we 've got to fill...transit or not. I would pay the 40JD fee on arrival on any day.
Considering that the country needs tourists and its tourist attractions are decaying and that for most the perception is that Jordan is in a middle of a war zone- they can make it much simpler, evisas eg.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by ashkale
Considering that the country needs tourists and its tourist attractions are decaying and that for most the perception is that Jordan is in a middle of a war zone- they can make it much simpler, evisas eg.
Agreed - I went to Egypt and didn't need a visa. A Turkish e-visa is $20. Had I been able to get into Jordan for a reasonable fee I would have spent more time in Amman during my 14 hour layover and even spent money with local businesses - shopping, restaurants, etc. $200+ for a family of four for 14 hours on the ground just to enter the country seems crazy - If we had wanted to go to Petra for the day it would have been over $700 in taxes and fees not including transportation!

Not a country that seemingly wants to encourage tourism.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:58 am

No more free hotel on (AA) award tickets

Seems like the policy regarding free hotel for award tickets has changed. Got the free hotel on an award ticket before but after checking for my current booking, I received the following message:

"In regards to your inquiry below, kindly note that after checking with our counter at the airport, we were informed that you are not entitled for a hotel accommodation as you have a free ticket (against miles) and your ticket belongs to AA."
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by NYTA
Agreed - I went to Egypt and didn't need a visa. A Turkish e-visa is $20. Had I been able to get into Jordan for a reasonable fee I would have spent more time in Amman during my 14 hour layover and even spent money with local businesses - shopping, restaurants, etc. $200+ for a family of four for 14 hours on the ground just to enter the country seems crazy - If we had wanted to go to Petra for the day it would have been over $700 in taxes and fees not including transportation!

Not a country that seemingly wants to encourage tourism.
Jordan wants ...some.. tourists..and if one travels as part of a pre organized tour then the visa fee is waived or very much reduced.
They discourage individual tourism.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
Jordan wants ...some.. tourists..and if one travels as part of a pre organized tour then the visa fee is waived or very much reduced.
They discourage individual tourism.
more like "they want premium tourists and not the cheap tourists on $300 all-inclusive packages for whom the only consideration is the price".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.