Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

ET (Ethiopian Airlines) BKK-KUL US$104 all in - good deal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Looking at flights for next June one way from BKK to KUL. There's a convenient Sunday afternoon departure on ET618 for US$104 all in (Expedia) using B767-300 metal.

Alternatives are Egyptair or Malaysia Airlines for about US$65 more.

Ethiopian's price sounds pretty good plus the O fare bucket is credited at 100% to my UA MP account.

So is this a good deal or would I be better off avoiding ET?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I'd book it. Its not even a 2 hour flight. You can probably get much cheaper with Air Asia, but why bother if you can pad your account.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:45 pm

Programs: program officer
Go For It!!

I am a Gold Member in ET and they have a quality on board services. You will love the personnel. so I say "Go For It"
Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the input, will do!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 6:03 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I flew the KUL-BKK leg very recently, US$103 OW.
The "system" wasn't working so I had to pay in cash, but the odd part was that they checked me in before paying.

Though it was my token Ethiopian Airlines experience, the service was good, although the plane seemed quite worn, NTM it lacked AVOD (though a screen showing the route was present in each cabin). As that segment is not long though, I didn't care about the lack of AVOD.

Hopefully, that my boarding pass said "FQTV" means miles will be credited to my UA account too, though it's not as promising that "UA*G" didn't show up...
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
5775tgbht rtn

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I flew the KUL-BKK leg very recently, US$103 OW.
The "system" wasn't working so I had to pay in cash, but the odd part was that they checked me in before paying.

Though it was my token Ethiopian Airlines experience, the service was good, although the plane seemed quite worn, NTM it lacked AVOD (though a screen showing the route was present in each cabin). As that segment is not long though, I didn't care about the lack of AVOD.

Hopefully, that my boarding pass said "FQTV" means miles will be credited to my UA account too, though it's not as promising that "UA*G" didn't show up...
Booked visa run 5775 Tg Bht rtn($189). Hopefully miles on AP. 2 x 743 mls^
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
How's the food?

Looking forward to my 1 st run on ET Bkk- Kul- Bkk How's the catering?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 4:44 am

Anyone know which lounge they use in KUL? Flight takes off around 11:30pm, star alliance lounges close long before. Will they offer a third party lounge for star alliance gold members?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: asia miles
Flew HKG-BKK-HKG a few weeks ago. Service was quite all right, really nothing much to complain about. If you want you can upgrade to C at check-in by paying a small fee. Business class is quite nice, good food, good service.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:14 am

Looks like ADD-BKK-HKG is coming back. My non-stop ADD-HKG was just changed to include a BKK stop. Get in nearly 4 hours later than originally scheduled . There goes my nice relaxing afternoon in HKG.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Does ET not have IFE on its long haul?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 2:13 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Hi, anyone can update their experience with ET?

I am thinking to fly ET on KUL-BKK-KUL in January. They seems the lowest, at MYR 646 H class which is earn 100% miles with SQ KF.

There are 2 problems though, they do not fly on Tuesday, so I have to either fly on Mon or Wed and the arrival time in BKK is 00:20.

TG Q class is selling at MYR 954. Of course the advantage of TG, they flies 3x/day.

So, the question is should I spend additional MYR290 to fly TG or just fly ET?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:25 am

Depending if saving 290MYR would be enough to change your travel plans.

There is no airport express train at that time in BKK so you have to take a taxi but the streets should be empty and there will be no open Star alliance Lounge in KUL after 9pm if I'm right. But you will get a long haul airplane instead of a smaller TG airplane, so maybe more comfortable.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by El Cochinito
Looking at flights for next June one way from BKK to KUL. There's a convenient Sunday afternoon departure on ET618 for US$104 all in (Expedia) using B767-300 metal.

Alternatives are Egyptair or Malaysia Airlines for about US$65 more.

Ethiopian's price sounds pretty good plus the O fare bucket is credited at 100% to my UA MP account.

So is this a good deal or would I be better off avoiding ET?
ET is worth trying. With SAA, best airline in Africa!
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by 31570324
Depending if saving 290MYR would be enough to change your travel plans.

There is no airport express train at that time in BKK so you have to take a taxi but the streets should be empty and there will be no open Star alliance Lounge in KUL after 9pm if I'm right. But you will get a long haul airplane instead of a smaller TG airplane, so maybe more comfortable.
I can still alter my travel plan, not a very big deal.

I come to BKK very often. Public transport is a non issue, as i also normally will take taxi. It just arriving after midnight means you just waste a night of hotel.

TG fligths are operating with A330 which should be new plan. Not sure how good ET B767.

Lounge I can always use Premier Lounge in KLIA

So, the question how reliable is ET in term of schedule and service/safety.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.