Search

Ethiopian Airlines in Business Class?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite, LH FTL
Ethiopian Airlines in Business Class?

Hi folks,

I'm considering to take ET from FRA to JUB via ADD in December. I have flown ET recently in coach class, so I'm aware of that product and of ADD airport, but I have yet to try them in business. What should I expert in terms of seats, food, IFE and lounges (in FRA and ADD). The flights to/from FRA are on B767 aircraft, while the short hop to JUB is operated by a B737. In addition, I would be interested to know about the ADD stop-over program, I have read on the ET website that the airline offers hotel accommodation for passengers in transit for more than 8 hours. What hotel are they using in ADD?

Any insight would be most appreciated!
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Shebamiles, WorldPerks
Word has it that Madonna flew in to Lilongwe, Malawi on Ethiopian today. I guess if ET is good enough for that diva, you'll do just fine.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...1A61QD9BI9DJ00

ET's B763 fleet is made up of four different configurations owing to leased in aircraft, with some having personal IFEs and others without. B73Ws which fly you to Juba all have the same ET configuration, with overhead screens in Economy (I don't recall how it is in Business). No lie-flat in Business. For many, attentive in-flight service makes up for what the airline lacks in other areas. As for hotels, while I have not done the layover thing with ET (my final destination is ADD), I have heard of some getting accomodations at the Hilton or Sheraton, while others getting into local government run hotels (3 star-ish) which may not make for a good experience. Perhaps you should ring an ET office and ask about hotel accomodations for those flying in Biz.

Shall we expect a trip report?
Old Oct 26, 2009, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ETStar
ET's B763 fleet is made up of four different configurations owing to leased in aircraft, with some having personal IFEs and others without. B73Ws which fly you to Juba all have the same ET configuration, with overhead screens in Economy (I don't recall how it is in Business). No lie-flat in Business. For many, attentive in-flight service makes up for what the airline lacks in other areas. As for hotels, while I have not done the layover thing with ET (my final destination is ADD), I have heard of some getting accomodations at the Hilton or Sheraton, while others getting into local government run hotels (3 star-ish) which may not make for a good experience. Perhaps you should ring an ET office and ask about hotel accomodations for those flying in Biz.
Thanks a lot, this is extremely useful. The price ET is charging in business is roughly equivalent to what I'm normally paying for CGN - AMS - NBO - JUB (and vv.) on my usual KL/JO combo in coach, while the the schedule, at least on the outbound, is much more convenient, so I may give them a try this time. Having said that, a colleague took the ET flight from FRA to ADD last month and she was less than impressed (old plane, strange food, very limited IFE), but that was in coach.

Originally Posted by ETStar
Shall we expect a trip report?
I really should write one, but then I have yet to get around to writing up ADD - LUN - ADD - JIB - NBO on ET/KQ from last month..
Old Oct 30, 2009, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K MM (2.4) RCC, Turkish, Emirates,HH Silver,SPG
ET In C Class

I take the DXB-ADD-DXB ET flights a few times a year and have done this in coach and business class for 8 years. The main point is the ET planes are very old. They make the advertisement that they will be the first African carrier that will have the Boeing 787 Dreamliner but we know this has been delayed now for some time. The service by the FA are OK but the food is nothing to rave about. If its a 767 or 757 they will be the old style seats and for a business class product it is not competitive to other carriers today. On this route I mentioned I can also fly Emirates, but sometimes the connection times in DXB are much longer than if I fly ET.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K MM (2.4) RCC, Turkish, Emirates,HH Silver,SPG
Accomodations in Addis

Forgot to add to my previous post about Ethiopian Airlines that the best hotel in Addis is the 5 star Sheraton as it is a part of their Luxury Collection. The second most popular is the Hilton that has been there since 1969. Location is about 30 min from Bole International Airport. These two hotels are about 10 min apart. The HIlton has an excellent location, but needs to be upgraded hwne compared to the Sheraton which has been open maybe 6-7 years now.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 4:12 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
I guess I'll chime in...

The 767s ET uses have several different configurations, all with business class seating akin to that found on Virgin America's first class. By comparison, UAs business class seat (the ones being phased out) is by leaps-and-bounds better than ET's. With ET, the seats recline, but not far enough back to sleep comfortably (I've had 2 types of seats in ET biz: one that reclines and has a (useless) legrest, and one that reclines but articulates with the seat and the legrest (much more comfortable, but still not comfortable, if that makes any sense)). They have PTVs, but they run the same movies over and over. The ET lounge in Addis is okay - much like the KQ lounge in NBO. Maybe a little nicer, actually, with a better selection of food.

The 737s they use on regional flights are typical US-type first class seats, no legrests, adequate legroom (probably 36-38 inches), no PTV.

You'll see references to the 787 all over Addis, from billboards to the spare-tire cover on the backs of SUVs, but as previously posted, when they'll see them is anyone's guess, and I don't think anyone's read an announcement by ET that they'll be upping their game with the biz hardware when the 787 is delivered. They'd be smart do to so, though.

The service in business class is better than on KQ, for example, but it's in a weird order, e.g., champagne isn't served until after takeoff, and then they serve you one glass of it, the end. If you ask for something, it'll come, but there's no sense of urgency in any of the service delivery. If you want more wine with dinner, you need to ask for it, as they're not going to come around with the bottles and refill. I did a write up on my flights, which maybe I'll post to trip reports, even though they were last year IAD-FCO-ADD-JNB and v.v.

With the hotels, I used the Hilton because of status, but with both the Hilton and Sheraton, expect to pay between USD 300 and 400/night. These are really the only 2 acceptable business grade hotels in Addis, and there's not much incentive for these 2 to put rooms on sale. The restaurant at the Hilton was good, and if you get a room that gives you access to the executive lounge, or have status for access, the lounge is quite nice with a nice spread of food for breakfast, lunch, or dinner (if you're feeling cheap), and a pretty darned nice selection of beverages, including Cointreau, a personal fave of mine. The buffet lunch (not bad) runs around USD 25.

Personally I wouldn't look to take ET again unless I had to for budgetary reasons. I took them last year for one of my trips because they were different, and I'd never flown them before.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Globetrotter94941 and TravellinWilly:

Thank you so much for your insights into ET's business class product. As things stand the choice for me is not really ET in business class vs. other airlines in business class (that would be an easy choice), but rather whether to fly to NBO in coach, stay overnight and then connect to Jetlink or similar for the sector to JUB. The fare on ET in business is not much higher and the connection more seamless, than doing the above in coach in December (high season for flights to Kenya).

Having said that, I was not not too impressed by my recent flights with ET in coach. Old planes, seriously outdated IFE (on the B757s) and strange food. Given a choice, I would rather fly KQ within Africa..
Old Feb 17, 2012, 5:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
Hi,

Any recent experiences with ET in business class? I'm looking to get an award ticket in business to SEZ via ADD and looking to take ET on the FRA-ADD legs. They seem to be operated by a 767-300 with recliner seats, which is not that appealing for a red-eye flight in business.

How would you compare the business class seat on ET to the Comfort Class seat on TK, or with the domestic first class seat on United?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 5:39 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CAlex
Hi,

Any recent experiences with ET in business class? I'm looking to get an award ticket in business to SEZ via ADD and looking to take ET on the FRA-ADD legs. They seem to be operated by a 767-300 with recliner seats, which is not that appealing for a red-eye flight in business.

How would you compare the business class seat on ET to the Comfort Class seat on TK, or with the domestic first class seat on United?
I haven't flown on ET, but I would choose TK's comfort class over a recliner business class any day - it's not worth spending more for the "business class" seat...
Old Feb 17, 2012, 5:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I have flown myself TK CC a number of times (4 IST-LAX trips ), but now this is what I have to work with. IST-ADD is operated by TK with 737 aircraft at miserable hours for connections, my only real options are to fly from FRA.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Recent experiences on ET 706/707

Originally Posted by CAlex
Hi,

Hi CAlex

I've flown ET 707/706 (FRA-ADD-FRA) in business class last week. The flight is indeed operated by one of Ethiopian Airlines' ageing B767-300s. The seat is the old recliner seat discussed earlier in this post.

I have not flown TK or United domestic first class recently, so I can not tell you how the seat compares to the seats on either airline. For me, the main reason for choosing ET over the alternatives (KL and LH) was schedule and price - ET's business class is significantly cheaper than the competition and the schedule worked perfectly for me. However, the standards are clearly not on par with what is being offered by other carriers. Having said that, the service was quite nice - as was the food (particularily out of ADD). The IFE is a major let-down though, but this should be not much of an issue on the night flight as you probably want to sleep. I skipped breakfast and got about 3,5 hours of half-decent sleep between FRA and ADD (total flying time was about 6,5 hours), which is not too bad for me. Feel free to contact me if you require any additional information.

Happy skies!
Arnur
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

This looks very much in-line with what I was expecting, thanks for posting teh photos. I plan to fly them in September, but from the pictures it is almost identical with TK Comfort Class (better IFE on TK and probably food on same levels).

Since they are not offered on same routes it's not comparing apples with apples, but it should be a decent ride in C...
Old Jun 15, 2012, 7:36 pm

Does anyone have recent information about the complimentary transit hotels being used by ET in Addis for pax with 12+ hr forced connections?

Also, is it available to those on UA award tickets (ET-ET connection). I presume it is judging by the way they handle passengers without checking fare basis, etc.., but one can never be too sure about these things despite the website not specifying otherwise.

Thanks to the AU summit being relocated to Addis next month, hotel availability at the handful of decent places has completely dried up so I'm wondering whether to stick with the Addis connection and take my chances with whatever ET throws up, or to reroute via Cairo on MS with its own associated uncertainties.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 6:28 am
Original Poster

ET Transit Hotels

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Does anyone have recent information about the complimentary transit hotels being used by ET in Addis for pax with 12+ hr forced connections?
I have used the ET transit hotels quite frequently for the last two years, usually staying overnight between flights. The hotels depend on the booking class, in economy class they tend to be local 3* hotels, often in locations which are inconvenient if one wants to go to town. Having said that, as ET takes care of transfers and meals, I find them quite acceptable for an enforced overnight stay. Business class passengers were usually put up at the Hilton hotel, a somewhat dated property in my view. As long as one keeps expectations reasonable (it is Addis after all), I think one is generally fine with those hotels.

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Thanks to the AU summit being relocated to Addis next month, hotel availability at the handful of decent places has completely dried up so I'm wondering whether to stick with the Addis connection and take my chances with whatever ET throws up, or to reroute via Cairo on MS with its own associated uncertainties.
This can be a serious issue indeed, if all else fails it is possible to get a half-decent night of sleep either in ET's own Cloud Nine lounge or the (pay-for-use) Obelisk lounge in the main terminal. My own experiences with MS through Cairo have been quite pleasant recently (including on enforced overnight stays), so if it comes down to choosing between MS and ET, I would personally go via Egypt.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 4:42 pm

Thanks for the info. I've decided to skip Cairo mainly because of the uncertainty about the post-election situation.

Also, the options were 12 hours from 8pm to 8am in Addis or 6 hrs from 130am to 730am in Cairo. Considering I have a full day of work ahead in Accra the next day, I figured the sleep would be better in an Addis flophouse than on a couch at lounge in Cairo airport.

Sadly the Hilton, Sheraton and Radisson are all sold out for the conference on my night of transit, otherwise I'd have sprung for one of those out of pocket. I shall report back in a few weeks assuming I survive whatever place they put me in!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.