Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

No food allowed into Taj Mahal Tower Mumbai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SA, JAL, EK

Three months ago I faced an awkward situation while staying at the iconic Taj Mahal Tower hotel in Mumbai. Being a business trip I would leave in the morning by 9-30 after breakfast and usually return after an exhausting day filled with multiple meetings with clients, often with no time for a meaningful lunch.

Coming back late I had stopped to pick up a burger from Burger King, hoping to have a small bite before I crashed into bed. This is something I often do because the alternative (room service) usually takes ages and serves large portions that I personally do not like in taste and which I inevitably waste. At the entrance my small briefcase was scanned at security and a young staff member politely asked me if I had food inside. On my answering in the affirmative he mentioned that outside food was not allowed, sensing my annoyance (and desperation) he guided me to a supervisor who, not unlike a parole officer, allowed me this infraction though not without reminding me curtly of the no outside food rule. Of course, this was horribly embarrassing and I ran up with the offending burger as though I were Oliver Twist.

This got me thinking later - how common or reasonable is such a rule? I can understand not allowing food delivery apps into the premises (though the Singapore Hilton and the Al Jaddaf Marriot had no such restriction when I stayed there in the last one year - delivery folks were allowed but only till the foyer) -- but checking a guest's bag specifically for food and then not allowing it in sounds a bit harsh. There could be any number of reasons why a guest may prefer to get their own food - time, cost, convenience, dietary preference, heck it could even be a packed breakfast or snack for the next day.

I later wrote to the Taj Mahal Palace but only received a very poorly composed and utterly anodyne reply that would make Grammerly look positively HALian in comparison.

I'm curious what the rule is worldwide - is outside food such a no-no? Do all bags big and small get scanned for food?

Last edited by Kumar2013; Jun 15, 2022 at 12:46 pm
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:05 pm

This has happened with me too. Radisson faridabad being the culprit. We were asked to sit outside the premises to eat the pizza we got delivered. They don’t have a 24 hour coffee shop and serve a limited menu after hours. So don’t think you are on a vacation . You only have to eat from a limited menu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.