Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Britannia Hotels sacks 12 staff over coronavirus making them homeless

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:52 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE

I have tried to avoid this chain, after a few very bad stays. I am glad of that decision after this upsetting report.

Scottish hotel sacks 12 staff over coronavirus making them homeless

The owners of a Highland hotel that has sacked staff and made them homeless during the coronavirus outbreak have been roundly condemned.

More than a dozen workers at the Coylumbridge hotel near Aviemore received a letter on Thursday informing them management was “taking the latest government advice” and that staff employment had been terminated, with those who live at the hotel complex asked to leave the premises immediately.

The letter stated: “Taking the latest government advice, this letter is to confirm that with effect from 19 March 2020, your employment has been terminated and your services are no longer required. You are asked to vacate the hotel accommodation immediately, returning any company property.”

Alvarito Garcia, from Madrid, who has worked at the hotel – which is part of the Britannia Hotels group – for nearly two years, told BBC Radio Scotland’s Good Morning that staff had no warning they were about to lose their jobs.

Garcia said he was unsure if he would be able to return to Spain because of the travel restrictions and that he would have to live in a tent until his food ran out.

He said: “I don’t know what to do. They gave me the letter and they said I had to leave immediately. They didn’t give me any notice. Even in my rota, they didn’t put anything different.”

Full link here :
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-them-homeless
Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Britannia is dire, it's something from the Britain of the 1970s. If we create a list of companies to avoid based on their behaviour during Corona, Britannia would be somewhere near the top of the boycott list.
MichaelBaku and hotel_user like this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Gold, Club Accorhotels Silver
Couple of additions to this info - https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...s-admin-error/

1. Britannia have subsequently claimed the sackings and evictions were an "admin error". Can't see any info about if or how they have resolved this for staff

2. Among many offers of help for the affected staff: "Macdonald Hotels offered access to its staff accommodation at the nearby Macdonald Aviemore Resort"

Last edited by hingethunder; Mar 25, 2020 at 8:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.