Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

The Grand Winnipeg Airport Hotel - Pretty good for an airport hotel!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:25 am
Original Poster
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)

The Grand Winnipeg Airport Hotel

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

1979 Wellington Ave Winnipeg, MB CA R3H 1H5

Pretty good for an airport hotel! (6 Photos)

Overall a pretty good stay. By about 100m the closest hotel to the Airport. And the second newest. If you are not a SPG/Marriott person it is the easy choice.

Check-in was fast and efficient, and I was up to my tarmac view room ASAP.

Check-out was even quicker, with about a 30second stop at the counter to drop my key and get on my way to checkin. Room charges emailed to me.

I did not eat in the hotel (even though I have heard it was good) as the resturant was empty. I just walked over to Stella's in the terminal and had some proper Winnipeg diner food.  Did slip over to the Four Points (connected) for a drink as the bar there actually had some people around it.

Room

Large and modern, and mostly fresh. Some details, though, are showing a bit of lack of maintenance. Saying that, the room is large and modern:

1_room-overview.jpg 

Lots of plugs near the beds, and a large desk for working, which is a plus!

desk.jpg

Just a Keriug coffee maker, which is a minus, but better than those awful one cup drip things. I never drink the coffee anyway—just use the smell to wake me up. Complimentary filtered water and a large (silent!) fridge is a nice bonus:

fridge.jpg

The bathroom is large and modern, with some nice Crabtree & Evelyn soaps and such.

soap.jpg

And it has a very large, modern, walk-in shower. What I really liked about it was that the shower controls were positioned in such a way that you could turn them on without getting into the shower. Good design!

sower.jpg

The windows were large, which made the room bright and open. Not 100% soundproof (is there such a thing?) but the noise of the turboprops which park nearest to the hotel were well muffled. No other noise came through the windows.

Good quality black out blinds kept things dark in the northern summer, which was appreciated.

The bed itself was very comfortable, with a nice selection of pillows--2 large and 2 small. 

Only odd thing. The alarm clock is one of those with an iPhone dock, but the dock is the old 30pin. Who has one of those anymore???

It is the closest to the airport... but. The but being that there is no enclosed or covered walkway to the terminal. Raining? Snowing? Bring your umbrella / parka. A bit of the design I never get. Saying that, if you have to walk it is the closest, and you can bring luggage carts right up to the elevator.

Oh, and the view:

view.jpg

Overall

As mentioned, if you are not a SPG/Marriott loyalist, it is worth a stay. The price is usually within 10$ of the Four Points, and is much more fresh.  They also give out Aeroplan points for stay. So that can be useful for the moment.

Would I stay there again? Yes. 

Pretty good for an airport hotel!

Would you like to write a review on the The Grand Winnipeg Airport Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.