Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Kimpton recommendations after July 2014 no longer trustworthy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Kimpton Hotels restructured their loyalty program at the end of July 2014 (details are in Kimpton Karma Rewards).

One very important detail (especially for non-members) is that the chain keeps an (unpublished) list of “behaviors” that might be “rewarded” with “special gifts like snacks”.

This is a strategy called “intermittent (positive) reinforcement” used by dog trainers, domestic abusers, and now by Kimpton Hotels on their frequent guests.

It's important to remember that any online praise or recommendations of hotels in the Kimpton chain may have been influenced by this program. I'm especially disappointed that a chain advertising to women travelers is applying domestic abusers' strategy to its own guests.

Originally Posted by SJC AA
A nice NYT blog post, with some more details about rewards for interaction:
http://intransit.blogs.nytimes.com/2...long-you-stay/
From the linked New York Times blog post:

Do you tweet about the hotel, attend the hotel’s complimentary wine hour, travel with your pet or run with the hotel general manager in its fitness program?

Members could be rewarded for that. Kimpton identified 200 to 300 behaviors that flag program members as eligible for special gifts like snacks left in the room.

Just how much each behavior weighs remains a secret to avoid rewarding fake enthusiasm. “What we didn’t want to do was say, ‘Tweet about us and we’ll give you points.’ That’s self-gratuitous,” said Maggie Lang, senior director of loyalty for Kimpton.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:45 am
WAS

Programs: National Parks Annual Pass
Wow. Just wow.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
I would post a review of our fabulous stay at The Brice this weekend, but I guess that would just be the Stockholm Syndrome talking.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:36 pm
Company Representative - Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants

Programs: Kimpton Karma Rewards
Originally Posted by Calcifer
I would post a review of our fabulous stay at The Brice this weekend, but I guess that would just be the Stockholm Syndrome talking.
This is why we love our members!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:38 pm

Oh dear.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:38 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by KimptonInTouch
This is why we love our members!
How do you feel about their spouses?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by KimptonInTouch
Oh dear.
Classic!

There are a lot of--what I hope are at least mildly--constructive comments to be made about the Karma changes, but I'm skeptical that the data mining conspiratorial thinking is one of them.

FWIW, I'm 1,000,000% in favor of Karma super smart social data gathering. We all have preferences that can be gleaned from smart data capturing that are useful for individual properties to be aware of. You are, after all, actively opting in to all of it. I like to Tweet/IG my stays, and I'm perfectly happy if Kimpton stores pictures of positive amenities in it's state of the art, trendsetting system.

Here's what I like about Kimpton: there is a level of personalization that runs through the veins of the company. I know that KimptonInTouch (Susan) is a real person, with a real personality, who is not parroting corporate-speak at the members on this board. I know that real people are behind the other brands, but I don't know that they're really speaking for themselves, instead of reading from a corporate script handed to them.

A month ago, I was skeptical about the direction Kimpton was headed in, but I'm incredibly deeply appreciative of the engagement that I've seen on this board. I don't know if I'll hit IC for 2015, but I'm no longer actively avoiding Kimpton stays.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
It's not the DL or the SPG thread. Be nice. Stay Civil (just in case the thread trends in the wrong direction).

Cheers
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Costco Executive Member, Safeway Club Card
Originally Posted by woodyDCA

Here's what I like about Kimpton: there is a level of personalization that runs through the veins of the company. I know that KimptonInTouch (Susan) is a real person, with a real personality, who is not parroting corporate-speak at the members on this board. I know that real people are behind the other brands, but I don't know that they're really speaking for themselves, instead of reading from a corporate script handed to them.
Well said! ^
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
How do you feel about their spouses?
Behind every great member is a great spouse.

Thanks for the laugh, FlyinHawaiian.

Susan
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kimpton Karma Rewards
Behind every great member is a great spouse.

Thanks for the laugh, FlyinHawaiian.

Susan
Are you also the social media manager on Twitter? That person isn't daring to be great when posed with tough questions, and seems content only RT and responding to the lay-up compliments.

Annual sale in one week advertises "the lowest prices of the year starting at $119" which is odd, as I have harbor court at $110 in December. There will be a double stay credit granted with this offer, so I'm willing to change my rate to $119 in order to get double credit, but then that wouldn't be "the lowest rates of the year"

2 weeks ago about this time, I was at canary(BRG at $124/night) and the power went out, wasn't able to check in on opentable and although I did dine with finch and fork(I had the $25 food no beverage credit after all) I didn't get my 1000 open table points. Since I was able to find that $124 rate, I am under the impression that I will be able to find a rate even lower than that next week during the sale since it will offer "the lowest rates of the year".
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:30 pm
tmf

Programs: DL PM | Kimpton IC | IHG RA | HH Diamond
What part of life doesn't reward you for behaviors?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.