FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Hotel Chains (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-hotel-chains-431/)
-   -   Langham 1865 Program (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-hotel-chains/1278932-langham-1865-program.html)

tluxe Nov 11, 2011 12:55 pm

Langham 1865 Program

Any other Voyager(Gold) or Destiny(Plat) members here? I'm looking for feedback to compare how so-called 1865 elites are treated under this program.

I just find little to no benefits of this program (other than the 500 airlines miles per night). I've been a Voyager (Eqv of Gold) for the past year. I'm also SPG Gold (almost Plat) and have decided to push my stays into SPG to get Plat - since 1865's criteria for Destiny is so vague and subjective.

1865's upgrades are usually downgrades in my opinion. Better located room usually equals smaller, older rooms. I've found myself sending emails before check-in - please do not upgrade me! The check-in perks (fruit, water, chocolates, etc). Meh - for me - staying frequently - what I really want is free nights, suites, upgrades for leisure stays. This program does not deliver that at all. Just some unnecessary snacks in your room at check-in.

Curious what other think about this program. I'm hoping with some customer feedback - things might improve. I like the brand and some of the properties, but the reward program needs some major overhauling before I commit any further..

mxr Nov 13, 2011 6:59 am

Hey tluxe,

thanks for actually opening this thread on FT, havnt actually looked for an existing one but I think this is the first?

Im Voyager aswell and I found Gateway already to be a helpfull status within the langham hotels. The membership criteria with stays instead of the usual minimum nights in other hotels is quite strange to me aswell, especially when it comes to Destiny...

Theres quite a few 'cool' perks in being Voyager (luggage tags, membership card being your roomkey aswell).

I've split up your post and will answer every bit on what I've experienced:

Originally Posted by tluxe (Post 17433301)
Any other Voyager(Gold) or Destiny(Plat) members here? I'm looking for feedback to compare how so-called 1865 elites are treated under this program.

Since until now I have only stayed in the Langham / Langham place in Asia, when I arrive in HKG for instance and go to the Langham desk at the airport, they sometimes seem to notice the luggage tag and I often received a bottle (0.25) of water or a softdrink. Same goes with the Hotels in HKG, when I arrive by taxi/metro/bus they notice the luggage tag and I'll be maneuvered to the dedicated checkin desk.
Also quite a nice treatment everytime I stay in the Club L. They do try to make you feel more special than the usual guest imo.

I just find little to no benefits of this program (other than the 500 airlines miles per night). I've been a Voyager (Eqv of Gold) for the past year. I'm also SPG Gold (almost Plat) and have decided to push my stays into SPG to get Plat - since 1865's criteria for Destiny is so vague and subjective.

While it might be true that you dont get any hotel points which might later be used for free stays, you do get a few perks (wifi, 1 extra bottle of water in the bathroom and 1 extra bottle of water + fruit plate in the room)

About the Destiny criteria, I would be happy to learn myself, since limousine service to/from the airport is quite a nice perk aswell ;)
As far as I understood it was something with being in the top 2% spenders in the top tier rooms.

1865's upgrades are usually downgrades in my opinion. Better located room usually equals smaller, older rooms. I've found myself sending emails before check-in - please do not upgrade me! The check-in perks (fruit, water, chocolates, etc). Meh - for me - staying frequently - what I really want is free nights, suites, upgrades for leisure stays. This program does not deliver that at all. Just some unnecessary snacks in your room at check-in.

Which langham are you talking about?

Curious what other think about this program. I'm hoping with some customer feedback - things might improve. I like the brand and some of the properties, but the reward program needs some major overhauling before I commit any further..

I think the 1865 tries to distinguish itself from the usual hotel program...
But I think that staying at the langham is already worth it (especially the wellness/fitness areas in Asia are wonderfull)

platinumboy Feb 7, 2012 12:03 am

Voyager here...

Hey, I'm a new FT'er and glad to see a post about 1865 here.
I'm Voyager (Gold) and usually stay at Langham Place in HK or Langham Huntington in Pasadena when in LA.

I agree about the vagueness of the Destiny program... but I do know (from doing some work with the hotel), that they do a daily ranking of all guests in the hotel on any given day, and during this process, they flag status. I was told I was the 4th highest ranked one particular day... which must be based on stays, not nights, or general status.

I have found the service at LP HK fantastic... Use of Club L - complimentary pressing of shirts etc on arrival as well as the usual water, chocolates and now and again, soft drink.

Not sure about the luggage tag - I haven't really ever seen any benefit from that.

Pasadena is less impressive, although a nice old hotel - the Americans haven't quite embraced the eastern service philosophy which the WHQ are pushing from HK.

For a few stays a year, you're pretty much guaranteed to retain some upgrade status which compared to other programs, is a fairly small investment.

They have just undertaken a massive round of research from their current members to re-evaluate the program... It'll be interesting to see what happens.

mxr Feb 7, 2012 12:58 am

Originally Posted by platinumboy (Post 17966409)
Hey, I'm a new FT'er and glad to see a post about 1865 here.
I'm Voyager (Gold) and usually stay at Langham Place in HK or Langham Huntington in Pasadena when in LA.

Hi platinumboy and welcome to FT!

Its nice to see you dedicated your first post to 1865.

Actually, I believe that 5 stays a year at langham hotels is not that easy to achieve if your travel pattern doesnt bring you to Asia a lot, there are just not enough Hotels in the group for now. Im glad to see though, that they are rapidly adding Hotels all over Asia and the US. But other than that you are right about the quite small amount of stays you have to invest for a few nice perks.

Just called the LP HK a few days ago and kindly asked them if it was possible for me to have a package sent to the hotel so I could pick it up, even though I am currently not staying there. After a few minutes the lady on the phone got back to me and said that usually they wouldnt do this but since Im a Voyager they would be glad to help me out.
I really appreciate such small details!

Originally Posted by platinumboy (Post 17966409)
They have just undertaken a massive round of research from their current members to re-evaluate the program... It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Would be nice to learn more about that.

lcpteck Jun 8, 2012 8:45 pm

Wonder if anybody else have experiences with their membership program....

Savage25 Jun 8, 2012 9:09 pm

So apparently one gets 1865 Voyager free with a Visa Infinite card.
http://www.langhamhospitalitygroup.c...sainfinite.htm

lcpteck Jun 10, 2012 5:08 am

For Visa Signature card holders, you get Gateway member.

http://www.langhamhospitalitygroup.c...asignature.htm

Gonna signup and try it out...

lcpteck Jul 22, 2012 5:30 am

Hope to see more comments on the 1865 program.

vishazz Jul 22, 2012 7:34 am

Guys brilliant.
This works.

nomislui Jul 27, 2012 12:06 pm

I got my Voyager membership with VISA Infinite card.

I will try out Hong Kong Langham Place and Boston Langham soon (that's enough for me to renew the membership for the next year!). I really look forward to see ho good/bad they are!

lcpteck Aug 14, 2012 8:22 am

Do post your experiences with the program.

I hope to visit a Langham here in Asia probably by beginning of 2013. :D

lcpteck Sep 3, 2012 8:08 am

Anybody with recent stay in Langham care to comment on their experience with the program?

simonlui Sep 17, 2012 10:51 am

I stayed in two Langham hotel recently, the experience is just awesome!

1. Langham Place Hong Kong
- It was a few days before my birthday. They prepared me a birthday cake!
- handwritten welcome card, with signature of all staff in the relation team. I feel like home
- I stayed in studio place. The room is so excellent http://hongkong.langhamplacehotels.c...rime_place.htm
- very convenient to do shopping in Mong Kok. I will definitely choose it again when I visit HK

privilege with Voyager membership:
- free water x 2 + coke x 2 + fruit platter on arrival
- one more free newspaper everyday
- birthday cake (out of expectation!)
- room upgrade (but i didn't requested for it, since the class above studio place is not my favourite...
- free internet

=========

2. Langham Place Boston

I stayed for 5 days. another awesome experience
- free breakfast everyday. I love their traditional breakfast and will visit them again just for the breakfast!
- free internet
- free room upgrade... i am upgraded to a more spacious room
- free water, softdrink, fruit platter, + newspaper
- the staff are really nice. carry luggage for me on my arrival and departure, not asking for tips until i give them (actually the staff denied my tips)

I feel like home in Langham hotel and will definitely visit them again
Just with 2 stays per year, my voyager membership can be renewed!

lcpteck Sep 18, 2012 6:53 am

Originally Posted by simonlui (Post 19330418)
I stayed in two Langham hotel recently, the experience is just awesome!

1. Langham Place Hong Kong
- It was a few days before my birthday. They prepared me a birthday cake!
- handwritten welcome card, with signature of all staff in the relation team. I feel like home
- I stayed in studio place. The room is so excellent http://hongkong.langhamplacehotels.c...rime_place.htm
- very convenient to do shopping in Mong Kok. I will definitely choose it again when I visit HK

privilege with Voyager membership:
- free water x 2 + coke x 2 + fruit platter on arrival
- one more free newspaper everyday
- birthday cake (out of expectation!)
- room upgrade (but i didn't requested for it, since the class above studio place is not my favourite...
- free internet

=========

2. Langham Place Boston

I stayed for 5 days. another awesome experience
- free breakfast everyday. I love their traditional breakfast and will visit them again just for the breakfast!
- free internet
- free room upgrade... i am upgraded to a more spacious room
- free water, softdrink, fruit platter, + newspaper
- the staff are really nice. carry luggage for me on my arrival and departure, not asking for tips until i give them (actually the staff denied my tips)

I feel like home in Langham hotel and will definitely visit them again
Just with 2 stays per year, my voyager membership can be renewed!

Thanks for the review, hope to see more.

I wonder what's the main difference in concept between Langham and Langham Place hotels...

lcpteck Sep 26, 2012 8:04 am

Any Destiny members care to share their experiences?

lcpteck Sep 30, 2012 9:48 am

Just got my membership pack.

Now to plan for year end or next year stays... ^

BFrankley Oct 16, 2012 2:12 pm

Can anyone elaborate on their suite upgrade vouchers? Their website says you get one per year, but does not give any details on when it's issued or how it can be redeemed (per stay? One night? Restrictions?).

Thanks.

javacodeguy Oct 17, 2012 7:02 am

Originally Posted by BFrankley (Post 19507354)
Can anyone elaborate on their suite upgrade vouchers? Their website says you get one per year, but does not give any details on when it's issued or how it can be redeemed (per stay? One night? Restrictions?).

Thanks.

If you're asking because you just got free Voyager status (like I did), then you probably won't get the certificate.

From the website: https://1865.langhamhotels.com/Stati...embership.aspx

With 5 stays or more within the preceding 12 months
Other than that I can't find anything else. If you have stayed a bunch and get one then perhaps you can add a note in this thread.

lcpteck Oct 17, 2012 7:14 am

How do suite upgrade vouchers work?

Originally Posted by BFrankley (Post 19507354)

Thanks.

That's a good question, wonder if anybody have experienced it yet. Here's some questions I can think of:

1) Do we get the voucher automatically after meeting the requirements? Or do we have to request for it?
2) Paper voucher or online voucher?
3) Expiration date of the voucher?
4) How do we use it? Key-in a code during booking or have to call the hotel direct for reservations?
5) Does the suite upgrade lasts for entire stay?

neuro0 Oct 17, 2012 7:28 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 19512231)
That's a good question, wonder if anybody have experienced it yet. Here's some questions I can think of:

1) Do we get the voucher automatically after meeting the requirements? Or do we have to request for it?
They will mail it to you after you meet the requirement.

2) Paper voucher or online voucher?
Paper

3) Expiration date of the voucher?
You have about a year to use it, I think.

4) How do we use it? Key-in a code during booking or have to call the hotel direct for reservations?
Make the booking the way you like and call or email them to apply upgrade voucher.

5) Does the suite upgrade lasts for entire stay?
Max is 3 night, if I remember correctly.

Also, no club benefit will be granted if you use voucher to upgrade to suite. No guarantee on the type of suite.

Personally, I don't find the voucher useful without club access. (They used to grant club access but stop doing it for about two years now.)

lcpteck Oct 17, 2012 9:47 am

Thanks for the valuable input.

Will try out Langham Hotels 2013 onwards and see how the experience goes. Good thing for me most of it's properties are within Asia Pacific. :p

mxr Oct 21, 2012 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 19335866)
Thanks for the review, hope to see more.

I wonder what's the main difference in concept between Langham and Langham Place hotels...

other than pricing it seems that langham place hotels have a more modern design.

FormalHall Oct 28, 2012 10:26 am

Does Langham offer points for non-staying members for food and beverage spend? Often entertain at the local Langham for afternoon tea of buffet brinch and would be good to earn on this spend.

lcpteck Oct 29, 2012 8:17 am

Originally Posted by FormalHall (Post 19580360)
Does Langham offer points for non-staying members for food and beverage spend? Often entertain at the local Langham for afternoon tea of buffet brinch and would be good to earn on this spend.

The chain does not play the points game in anyway so unfortunately no. They seem to use hotel stays to move up the membership tiers.

There is however a dining program called "Langham Supper Club". It is a separate from the hotel program "1865". Basically it gives 15% percent discount on dining, spa, and hotel stays. Suggest you read through the membership benefits and T&Cs to know more. :)

FormalHall Oct 29, 2012 2:41 pm

Thanks for the link, I was unaware. Seems like a clever idea and the spend requirements of 250NZD over 3 months is reasonable. 15% appears to only be off the BAR so not too helpful.

Forrest Bump Nov 6, 2012 4:22 am

Just got my Langham Voyager with Visa Infinity.
I'm looking now to spend some night at their Hong Kong hotel.

Does anyone know how what are the lounge access requirements?

lcpteck Nov 6, 2012 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump (Post 19632941)
Just got my Langham Voyager with Visa Infinity.
I'm looking now to spend some night at their Hong Kong hotel.

Does anyone know how what are the lounge access requirements?

Went to check on the website, this is what I've found out. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Complimentary access if you book club rooms or suites (Unless the promotion package you chose says otherwise). If you're staying in other room types, you have the option of purchasing lounge access.

During the reservation process, you'll be given options to purchase lounge access, airport transfer, and buffet breakfast. READ THE FINE PRINT ON THE LOUNGE ACCESS. Depends on the number of nights you'll be staying, booking a club room might be a better option.

Forrest Bump Nov 6, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks.
Don't know if lounge access worth the value.
The room fare doesn't come cheap.

lcpteck Nov 7, 2012 1:19 am

Yeah...:(

Maybe see if there's any good promotion packages.

Simmo Dec 3, 2012 6:17 pm

Anyone got anymore Voyager experiences to add?

love2ft Dec 5, 2012 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Simmo (Post 19790651)

+1 Inquiring minds want to know...

BFrankley Dec 8, 2012 5:47 pm

Looks like more Langham options coming in 2013 - Langham Chicago, and Langham Place NYC.

From their website:
http://chicago.langhamhotels.com/

http://newyork.langhamplacehotels.com/

They're taking over the Setai in NYC in January and the "IBM" building in Chicago late 2013.

This makes the 1865 program a little more interesting.

Forrest Bump Jan 16, 2013 11:58 am

Today was delivered the package.
Voyager, with a nice luggage tag and golden card.
I feel now dutiful to visit one of their property.
And likely will be in Hong Kong.

Unfortunately they have still a little number of affiliates, and hope things are going to improve soon.
The quality and the general reviews are mostly very positive.

twydeutschland Feb 5, 2013 1:00 am

It seems that the group will have an ambitious expansion plan mostly in the APAC region.

I have recently stayed in Hong Kong Eaton Smart, a 4-star property with my 1865 Voyager status. I origially booked the smart room and it had been upgraded to a "small suite" upon check-in. Also after I called the service assistant I was a Voyager member, they quickly sent the welcome fruit and local amentities ( 6 pieces of almond chocolate!)

I guess the overall experience was not bad considering only two stays (or nights?) will allow you to retain the voyager status.

mxr Feb 5, 2013 1:47 am

Originally Posted by twydeutschland (Post 20187542)
It seems that the group will have an ambitious expansion plan mostly in the APAC region.

I have recently stayed in Hong Kong Eaton Smart, a 4-star property with my 1865 Voyager status. I origially booked the smart room and it had been upgraded to a "small suite" upon check-in. Also after I called the service assistant I was a Voyager member, they quickly sent the welcome fruit and local amentities ( 6 pieces of almond chocolate!)

I guess the overall experience was not bad considering only two stays (or nights?) will allow you to retain the voyager status.

Oh they are very great full with their upgrades, especially for hong kong hotels which are booked out many times...
Usually if they know about your arrival ahead of time they will already have put the welcome stuff (fruit, coke, water, sparkling water, wine) in your room.
A nice perk is to use the membership card as a room key aswell.

twydeutschland Feb 5, 2013 3:54 am

Originally Posted by mxr:20187637

Originally Posted by twydeutschland (Post 20187542)

Oh they are very great full with their upgrades, especially for hong kong hotels which are booked out many times...
Usually if they know about your arrival ahead of time they will already have put the welcome stuff (fruit, coke, water, sparkling water, wine) in your room.
A nice perk is to use the membership card as a room key aswell.

I did receive sparkling water for my last stay. :D

pomkiwi Mar 16, 2013 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Simmo (Post 19790651)

Late to this thread...

UK based and Voyager status (from Gateway) was a year end thing. Got a suite voucher then and another one at the end of last year. Used it to upgrade from a Club room and kept Club entry, valid for up to three nights in one stay.

Tend to stay in London but have stayed in AKL and will be in SYD in a couple of weeks. My main comment would be that the recognition is very variable but this seems to be mainly a London thing (and applies to lots of things in the hotel - on a good day it is very good and on other very average) and I have had a number of discussions with management there who seemed guuinely interested in improvement. Usually get a welcome card, almost always a small gift - candle better than room spray, about 50% of the time something extra with water, fruit or chocolate - the appearance of this 'amenity' is random as is the content. Upgrades also vary but they are advertised as space available.

Overall all feels rather random.

I too would be interested to learn about Destiny experiences (anyone ever met a Destiny card holder ??? :) )

lcpteck Mar 17, 2013 12:08 am

Langham Yangtze Shanghai

Saw from tripadvisor that this hotel was sold off by Langham Hotels and renamed to The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai as of March 2013.

It's no longer listed on Langham Hotels website as well.

mxr Mar 17, 2013 5:39 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 20433282)
Saw from tripadvisor that this hotel was sold off by Langham Hotels and renamed to The Yangtze Boutique Shanghai as of March 2013.

It's no longer listed on Langham Hotels website as well.

oh wow, too bad! It was an amazing hotel for the langham group IMO. What will they do with the Chuan Spa in that hotel?

Really a big loss since the room was spacious, breakfast buffet was amazing and the spa was as good as any other langham spa!

lcpteck Mar 17, 2013 9:34 am

Originally Posted by mxr (Post 20433940)
oh wow, too bad! It was an amazing hotel for the langham group IMO. What will they do with the Chuan Spa in that hotel?

Really a big loss since the room was spacious, breakfast buffet was amazing and the spa was as good as any other langham spa!

Guess only the 2 properties left at Xintiandi in Shanghai. They should open a property in Taipei.