Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air Baltic - 8kg carry on - is it strict?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2009, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage, Flying Blue, TrueBlue

Hi,

I'm flying from Rome to Riga after tomorrow. I packed all I need in a carry on suitcase. I weighed the suitcase and it's about 8.5kg. Is this going to be a problem? Do they check at FCO?

Thank you!
Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:29 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
I don't know for FCO, but in several other stations BT has never weighted my carryon nor had a problem with multiple ones (usually a laptop bag or similar and a rollaboard plus of course duty free shopping bags ). Just be sensible and discreet about it, don't act like it weights a ton and definitely don't bring it up.

I doubt any agent willingly wants to go through the hassle for charging you overweight for half a kilo - that much could be accounted for a miss calibrated scale for example.

Oh and if OLCI is available ex-FCO use it to avoid contact with the check in personnel and a chance for weighting.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 12:55 am

Programs: SK*(LT)G, AY
Estonian travellers have written that, while never before, in July there has been weight checks eg. at LGW, TLL. But not pieces. Perhaps keep handy a small plastic bag... BT has or will introduce one additional restriction on checked-in baggage, which means the agents may have also revisited the rules.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage, Flying Blue, TrueBlue
hello again and thanks for the replies.

I have a pair of leather shoes already packed in a plastic bag inside my suitcase. I suppose I could just take those out.

However, I am quite sure that I am only allowed one piece of carry-on. I have a cheap economy class ticket.

Am I maybe allowed two??

thanks!

PS I'm only flying FCO-RIX, I am not flying back on BT.

Originally Posted by tiltslope
Estonian travellers have written that, while never before, in July there has been weight checks eg. at LGW, TLL. But not pieces. Perhaps keep handy a small plastic bag... BT has or will introduce one additional restriction on checked-in baggage, which means the agents may have also revisited the rules.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 12:35 pm

Programs: SK EBG, LH SEN.
I have no particular experience of BT. But on SK from any nordic airport. If you use OLCI or Check in machines at departure airport, and as mentioned earlier, avoid contact with CI staff. There is a very very small chance anyone would care. As long as luggage do not have strange dimensions etc.

As for pieces, one suitcase, but regarding plastic bags...you could surely bring at least one...
Old Aug 18, 2009, 3:28 pm

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
I've flown BT with departures from TLL, LGW, and LED in the last few months. My carry-on was never weighed, though it's not big and maybe they are more lenient with EBGs. I suppose the worst-case scenario is you have to pay for checked luggage.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:57 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by Aelx2k
Am I maybe allowed two??
Not officially, but the definition of a carry on bag is vague. Generally it is accepted to mean a larger piece of luggage, a sports bag, rollaboard or something similar. In addition to this you can usually carry a small purse or back bag, laptop bag or a similar personal item. Plus as mentioned they usually don't care about plastic shopping bags either.

If you try to bring two or three very large bags then sure, it will raise the alarm flags. Just be sensible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.