Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair to abolish checkin desks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ryanair to abolish checkin desks

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2009, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA gold
LiarAir will now find a grassy field far far far away from the true destination and tell the passengers to shove themselves inside, standing room only. Cattle in the field will look on bemused but still chewing grass.

Vending machines are available in the gallery and would someone please press the autopilot button to start the trip. If there are any problems on flight, please do call us on your mobile phone to a Mongolian call centre using the premium skymobile thingygummy built into the aircraft.

Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M, PC PlatAmb, Marriott, SPG
They can just put up some of those stand-up machines where you punch in your ticket number and it prints out your copy. Would solve the problem for anyone who has no internet access or printer the days approaching their flight.

Geneva airport "BA" staff already pretty much tell you to use the machines if you haven't yet done your checkin...
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:17 am

Programs: AA PRO, BA, QF, UA, DL, Marriott, Priority Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by adrianjc32
I read it as just hype. T5 does not have checkin for economy passengers either, it's OLCi or CIK and then fast bag drop. Of course unlike Ryanair BA has hosts at the kiosks and assistance desks for those who really cannot manage to use the customer enabled options. Either way, it's just O'leary trying to get his dreary airline in the press again.
Don't think so. Ryanair don't like the check-in computers, they cost money to buy and maintain.Plus they have to pay for the paper the pass is printed on instead of the passenger. But most of all they have to rent the floor space for the computers from the airport and that's more unnecessary cost!!
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:28 am

MatthewRob: but wouldn't the machines be cheaper then human beings in the long run? Renting a square meter of floor space for a machine is cheaper then +20 square meters to run a ticketing desk...
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Shinigami
MatthewRob: but wouldn't the machines be cheaper then human beings in the long run? Renting a square meter of floor space for a machine is cheaper then +20 square meters to run a ticketing desk...
In the long run, maybe. But lets say each machine, rental and maintenance costs GBP5000 over 5 years and each airport on average has 10 (STN would have lots more, others less) at 100 airports thats 5 million, plus the software cost, prob another 4 mill (we all know how FR hates software which is why they have no seat allocation!) thats a large one-off outlay when they can just cut everybody AND have no machines!

Also lots of airports are outsourced so dont pay for a full person or checkin desk, just the time they use it. While a machine would be permanent. They are currently having an argument with DUB about check-in machines. They still need desks for bag drop, but can prob cut half.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:43 am

True... but maybe the machines could be shared by other companies, thus splitting the cost in half or more. I think the machines in GVA let you register on half a dozen different company operated flights, of which BA is just one.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:00 am

True... but maybe the machines could be shared by other companies, thus splitting the cost in half or more. I think the machines in GVA let you register on half a dozen different company operated flights, of which BA is just one.
Yeah, I think that might have to do with being on a common check-in system. I just have a feeling Ryanair would not want to contribute anything to this! Don't even their check-in agents still use paper and pen? They have always been adamant that software costs money and have only used it for POS.

I'm sure a system would actually make them more efficient. Then again a smile and pleasantness would make them mildly customer friendly and they have never adopted that policy.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by MatthewRob
Don't think so. Ryanair don't like the check-in computers, they cost money to buy and maintain.Plus they have to pay for the paper the pass is printed on instead of the passenger. But most of all they have to rent the floor space for the computers from the airport and that's more unnecessary cost!!
They may not like them but I have seen pictures of them in the hideous Ryanair colour scheme with their logo on the screen. They may not have them at every station though. As pointed out most airports now have CUSS (common user self service) which is a much cheaper option for the airlines and is maintained by the airport. You may even find these in T3 for BA at LHR (at least thats what it looked like in the artist impression of Zone G).

Still there is almost nothing that O'Leary could think up to inflict on his customers that would surprise me.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:22 am

I personally don't like using these machines... Yes they're efficient, and yes they have worked fine everytime I've used them, and no, I have no actual problems using them per se, but...

It distances you from the experience, from the airline itself. Even OLCI does this and whilst useful to select your seats and the like, I still in the end like to go down to the desk, check my bags in chat with the person checking me in, and receive my tickets in hand from "a person".

Oh well... anything to cut costs I guess.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
It distances you from the experience, from the airline itself. Even OLCI does this and whilst useful to select your seats and the like, I still in the end like to go down to the desk, check my bags in chat with the person checking me in, and receive my tickets in hand from "a person".
So it's YOU that's always holding the queue up at the 'fast' bag drop, then?!
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:53 am

Programs: *A
When I was in STN 2 months ago, they had about 20 of these machines, which worked fine, although they did charge us 4 pppw for the pleasure of using them .
Old Feb 25, 2009, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Fine if you are at home/office with internet/printing equipment before starting on your journey. What about if you are staying at a cheap B&B in Europe without internet facilities?
OLCI for this ghastly airline (which I will never fly on, ever) opens up 14 days before departure so I guess pax will be encouraged to OLCI for both legs before they start their journey.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 1:35 am

Time to move this one off to Budget Travel.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 1:42 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
But BA is going the same way ....

Colleague with Silver card and J section of longhaul F ticket, was refused the issue of a BP in Zurich at the BA check-in desk despite the fact that he had checked bags and that there was nobody else at the desk. The agent made him go to the machine (with his luggage) to get his BP and then cart the luggage back to drop it off. I watched this open-mouhted ! Complete insanity matched only by the intransigence of the agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.