Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Anyone "taken advantage of" (read: abused) the TUIfly railpass?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Title says it all. Will be in PRG and would like to go to Essen (what an excellent name for a city ^ ) or some other part of NRW.
I'd rather not fly (CSA flights cost over €200, and Easyjet is, well, Easyjet), and would prefer going by train, but the DB cross-country prices are just insane. Can I buy a flight from CGN or something and then go Dresden-Essen for €40 in first and bin the plane ticket? Or will I be sued, beaten and condemned to burn in hell for doing this?

And, if it is possible, what's the best route to take that doesn't include an ICE Sprinter (regular ICE is fine)?
Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are very few ICE Sprinter trains, so they're not hard to avoid:
http://www.bahn.de/p/view/mobilitaet...sprinter.shtml

I've never used the TUIFly tickets and I'm not quite sure what your plan looks like exactly (buy a ticket from CGN to where?), but have you considered flights to Dortmund, and Cologne in addition to Düsseldorf. (Service by GermanWings.)
Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soitgoes
I've never used the TUIFly tickets and I'm not quite sure what your plan looks like exactly (buy a ticket from CGN to where?)
To anywhere outside of Germany. This entitles you to buy as an add-on a €40 (or €20 if you're prepared to travel second-class) Rail and Fly pass that is valid on all DB trains (minus Sprinters) from the day before the flight.
I know there are some Germanwings flights, but they were quite expensive for such a short flight on a lowcost (€160 or so) on the dates/routes I checked.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
LH offers the same thing
Old Apr 25, 2008, 1:51 pm
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
Did you consider to buy a ticket from Dresden to Essen without buying an airline ticket ???
Deutsche Bahn offers one-way tickets from 29,-EUR if you book early in advance. Tickets at this price just require you to stick to a fixed itinerary ...
If you get a ticket at 29,- Eur or 39,- EUR it´ll be cheaper than the 19,-EUR Rail&Fly ticket plus Airfare (+taxes) !!!

Those cheap tickets are availlable at http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml
Old Apr 25, 2008, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MHG
Did you consider to buy a ticket from Dresden to Essen without buying an airline ticket ???
Deutsche Bahn offers one-way tickets from 29,-EUR if you book early in advance. Tickets at this price just require you to stick to a fixed itinerary ...
If you get a ticket at 29,- Eur or 39,- EUR it´ll be cheaper than the 19,-EUR Rail&Fly ticket plus Airfare (+taxes) !!!

Those cheap tickets are availlable at http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml
That link only has a description of them. Oneway prices still seem to be around €100 in 2nd class and €150 in 1st, plus whatever it'll cost me from PRG to Dresden.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
LH offers the same thing
Does this mean I can get one of the tickets with the ridiculously low base fares, buy the railpass then cancel the ticket and get all taxes and surcharges back, in effect costing me a couple of Euros? ^
Old Apr 25, 2008, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by graraps
Does this mean I can get one of the tickets with the ridiculously low base fares, buy the railpass then cancel the ticket and get all taxes and surcharges back, in effect costing me a couple of Euros? ^
What should even work (I have not tested this) is even to get a C-Class ticket, ask for the seperate "railthing" and return the C-Class ticket in the end. The railthing is issued as a seperate ticket with its own ticket number and Amadeus code and it is valid from "German Rail" to a specific airport.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What should even work (I have not tested this) is even to get a C-Class ticket, ask for the seperate "railthing" and return the C-Class ticket in the end. The railthing is issued as a seperate ticket with its own ticket number and Amadeus code and it is valid from "German Rail" to a specific airport.
Fabulous. Hadn't thought of refundable tkts! I will be calling LH first thing in the morning. ^
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Fabulous. Hadn't thought of refundable tkts! I will be calling LH first thing in the morning. ^
Do let us know how you fared (pun intended)
Old Apr 26, 2008, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Right. Just spoke with a very helpful chap at LH reservations. I didn't of course tell him I am going to cancel my LH ticket.
He said:
1) There is no paper-pass. It's an electronic part of the rez, and you only need the e-tkt printout to travel.
2) The pass is kind-of "attached" to your flight bookings. If you make a date change, they will change the dates of the pass. Didn't ask what would happen if I wanted to make a date change after having travelled on the train.
3) You can't do a seat reservation with the pass. If there are no seats on your train, tough luck!
4) There are no restrictions to where you can use the tkt from. Zwickau-DUS is thus permitted.

Clear as mud...
Old Apr 26, 2008, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3) You can't do a seat reservation with the pass. If there are no seats on your train, tough luck!
You can always buy a separate seat reservation from DB directly. (Although if I'm traveling alone I almost never do.)
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right. Just spoke with a very helpful chap at LH reservations. I didn't of course tell him I am going to cancel my LH ticket.
He said:
1) There is no paper-pass. It's an electronic part of the rez, and you only need the e-tkt printout to travel.
2) The pass is kind-of "attached" to your flight bookings. If you make a date change, they will change the dates of the pass. Didn't ask what would happen if I wanted to make a date change after having travelled on the train.
4) There are no restrictions to where you can use the tkt from. Zwickau-DUS is thus permitted.

Clear as mud...

Surprising - last time I used this I had a seperate ticket issued for the rail portion and this was collected by the conductor. If it works with the e-ticket printout you could actually reprint and reprint and reprint (unless they collect the print)
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surprising - last time I used this I had a seperate ticket issued for the rail portion and this was collected by the conductor. If it works with the e-ticket printout you could actually reprint and reprint and reprint (unless they collect the print)
Unless LH managed to integrate their system with the DB 3-D barcode print-at-home-style tickets, then I would also find it surprising. Most airline DB ticket issues are done through paper flight coupons.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

in that case maybe I should call again just to make sure...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.