Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

SZG-STN-DUB-STN-SZG on Ryanair in one day. Can it be done?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Hello everyone!

On this first post I have a question for you.

I have booked the following Ryanair flights, all on August 8th:
SZG-STN 0950-1040 FR305
STN-DUB 1200-1315 FR211
DUB-STN 1530-1645 FR296
STN-SZG 1830-2130 FR306

The question is, do you think I can make it back to Salzburg after making all 4 flights? How is security and immigration at Stansted? Do you have to show your passport/ID Card for the flights to/from Ireland? Also, can I get the boarding pass for the flight STN-SZG at the same time I check in for the flight to Dublin? One last question is if it's still possible to get stamps on your passport in Stansted and in Dublin. I know it's normally not done, but if you ask for it?

Please note that the Dublin flights were free (part of Ryanair's free flight promotion), so it won't be really bad if I drop them in favor of a "safe" return in Salzburg! I will obviously not have any checked baggage, which should make things a little easier.

Thank you for your time,

philimonas
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:53 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Welcome to FlyerTalk philimonas!

I'm not sure why you want to do this in one day, but here goes:

Originally Posted by philimonas
Hello everyone!

On this first post I have a question for you.

I have booked the following Ryanair flights, all on August 8th:
SZG-STN 0950-1040 FR305
STN-DUB 1200-1315 FR211
DUB-STN 1530-1645 FR296
STN-SZG 1830-2130 FR306

The question is, do you think I can make it back to Salzburg after making all 4 flights?
It's going to be a close call. Check-in on all Ryanair flights ends 40 minutes before departure. If you haven't checked in by then, you're not going. Period.

How is security and immigration at Stansted?
It's usually pretty quick. It's never taken me more than 5 minutes to get through, either for immigration or security.

Do you have to show your passport/ID Card for the flights to/from Ireland?
No, but you'll have to show your boarding pass to prove that you arrived from Ireland. Make sure you hang on to it.

Also, can I get the boarding pass for the flight STN-SZG at the same time I check in for the flight to Dublin?
No you cannot. Ryanair officially discourages connections and is not set up for them. You can only get a boarding pass for your flight at your airport of departure, nowhere else. Also, check-in for each flight opens two hours before flight time, not a minute earlier, so it's not possible to pick up your boarding pass for your Salzburg flight on your first pass through Stansted.

One last question is if it's still possible to get stamps on your passport in Stansted and in Dublin. I know it's normally not done, but if you ask for it?
This I can't answer. I suppose it couldn't hurt to try though.

Please note that the Dublin flights were free (part of Ryanair's free flight promotion), so it won't be really bad if I drop them in favor of a "safe" return in Salzburg! I will obviously not have any checked baggage, which should make things a little easier.
If everything goes well, it's not a problem to go all the way to Dublin. If a lot of flights are showing as delayed at STN, you might want to re-think travelling onward. But Ryanair is usually pretty punctual (their only saving grace, in my opinion), so there should be no problem flying all the way through and back.

Thank you for your time,

philimonas
You're welcome! I would say "Enjoy your flights", but since this is Ryanair we're talking about, that's not likely.

Last edited by alex0683de; Jun 15, 2007 at 10:17 am
Old Jun 16, 2007, 3:25 am

Programs: DL DM
Why would anyone do this?

Is this the modern day equivalent of walking through burning coals or lying on a bed of broken glass?

Are you trying to prove yourself to some higher power?

Inquiring minds want to know...

WHAT BRINGS YOU TO THIS POINT OF MADNESS??

Old Jun 16, 2007, 4:38 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by alex0683de
Welcome to FlyerTalk philimonas!

I'm not sure why you want to do this in one day, but here goes:
I'd also like to know what's the rationale for doing that. Last time I checked you didn't even get miles.

It's going to be a close call. Check-in on all Ryanair flights ends 40 minutes before departure. If you haven't checked in by then, you're not going. Period.
It seems, however, they will happily sell you a new full-fare ticket for the same flight and check you in with the new ticket.

HTB.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Ryanair do offer online check in ( no hold baggage);

Details here;

https://www.bookryanair.com/checkngo...cgi?pos=SBFORM

but i'm not sure if it would work with multiple flights or if it is available from SZG.

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 16, 2007, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Hello,

Thanks for your quick replies, especially alex0683de. It might sound strange, but I want to try this because of the cheap fares and because I love flying!

I have previously flown with Ryanair with no problems, so I thought I should try it again!

Maybe I will just stick to the SZG-STN-SZG flights, unless the weather is clear and no delays show in Stansted.

About the on-line check-in, do you know if it's possible to pay the fee after having completed the booking?

philimonas
Old Jun 16, 2007, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I agree with above posters, spending a whole day on Ryanair is torture.

If you enjoy flying now, you wont be after a day on Ryanair.
They may be tolerable for an hour, but a whole day, yikes.

If anything goes wrong, you are screwed for the rest of the day
Old Jun 16, 2007, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by alex0683de
It's usually pretty quick. It's never taken me more than 5 minutes to get through, either for immigration or security.
Immigration queues at STN can be 5 min but also have a real potential to become excessively long depending on time of day and number of arrivals at the same time - it is not entirely unusual to wait 45-60 min in STN, typically however closer to the end of day.

Check out http://www.airlinequality.com/Airpor..._forum/stn.htm for a few horror stories of people waiting incredible amounts of time trying to enter the UK via STN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.