Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

How is Brussels Airlines financially?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2003, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM

I will be flying them in Decemeber and was wondering how they are doing or if I should be looking for a backup plan. Reading about Swiss' likely demise makes me wonder...

Thanks,

Nathan
Old Sep 17, 2003, 8:35 am

Programs: QR platinum
SN Brussels Airlines is a much smaller operation compared to Swiss and in better shape as Swiss now.
As Swiss has to cut back on there operations SN is offering more connections as a full service airline since they started and expanding, cautiously and via Codeshares and cooperations with other airlines,as eg Britsh airways and american airlines.

&gt; SN Brussels Airlines reports quarterly profit and launches innovative advertising campaign

SN Brussels Airlines made a net profit in the second quarter of 2,9 million Euro. The young airline that connects Brussels with Europe, Africa and the States launches tomorrow an innovative advertising campaign.

Positive Progress

During the second quarter of the financial year (period April-June), SN Brussels Airlines realised a turnover of 128,1 million Euro and made a net profit of 2,9 million Euro. “These results are a clear illustration of the positive progress we register since spring”, says Executive Chairman Rob Kuijpers.

The load factor of the fleet (38 aircraft) was 67,5 pct. in July and 69,7 pct. in August. This is a significant increase compared to 2002 when SN Brussels Airlines registered a load factor of 58,5 pct. in July and of 57,9 pct. in August. With these encouraging figures, SN Brussels Airlines is clearly doing better than the European Aviation market.

New commercial initiatives

More and more passengers appreciate the service, the free of charge food and drinks and the extensive flight offer of SN Brussels Airlines. Also the code share deal with American Airlines, launched last spring, is becoming successful. The new department Corporate Accounts, created to develop partnerships with corporate clients, has signed deals with major multinationals. Another explanation of the passenger growth is the new commercial approach. The recently launched ‘Value for money’ weekend trips and very competitive Best Buy Offers clearly attract new clients who travel for leisure.

“We are especially satisfied with the very strong results on our African Network”, says Chief Executive Officer Peter Davies.“ The flights we currently offer to twelve African destinations were during the past summer months more popular than expected. On our Africa flights we registered in August a load factor of more than 81 pct.”

Punctual

Also during the past summer months, SN Brussels Airlines could realise punctual operations. More than 91 pct of the flights departed on time in July and August. Thanks to this result the airline ended in the Top 3 of Punctuality made by the Association of European Airlines (AEA). Independent controllers audit all punctuality figures.

This autumn, SN Brussels Airlines will further increase its flight offer. Since today, September 8, SN offers its clients two daily flights between the Capital of Europe and Athens. This new attractive service is made possible thanks to a recently signed partnership with Hellas Jet of

Greece.

Later this autumn, October 27, the airline will launch daily flights to the Hungarian Capital Budapest.

As of December 14, SN Brussels Airlines and Thalys International will offer a daily high-speed train service between Brussels Airport and Paris Nord Railway Station in France.

Old Sep 17, 2003, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
I do not know about SN's financial situation, but I'm pretty sure I will never, ever fly with them:
http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/010449.html

Don't expect them to follow the IATA rules if your flights are cancelled...
Old Sep 17, 2003, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: I do this for a living.
I flew an SN code-share (Virgin Express metal) earlier this year. I booked the flight through the SN website. There were no problems.

That referenced thread proves that "there's no such thing as a free lunch." Error fares are not real fares. If you can take advantage of them, great. If the airline won't follow through, then just get a refund. (And stop whining.)

------------------
-Otto
Old Sep 17, 2003, 3:01 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Error fares are not real fares. If you can take advantage of them, great. If the airline won't follow through, then just get a refund. (And stop whining.)
</font>
Paid and ticketed fares are real fares.
What really bugs me is that SN refused to follow their own Conditions of Carriage and broke the IATA rules. Would you whine if it happened to you?

Old Sep 17, 2003, 4:15 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Vunder31:
Would you whine if it happened to you?
</font>
No. I would have just taken my refund and stopped acting like they were beating me with a rubber truncheon by refusing to re-book me on another carrier.

------------------
-Otto
Old Sep 17, 2003, 4:50 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by OttoGraham:
No. I would have just taken my refund and stopped acting like they were beating me with a rubber truncheon by refusing to re-book me on another carrier.
</font>
Good for you then...

I, on the other hand, got upset when the airline decided to not honor my valid and paid ticket just before my trip.
Since I thought that SN would follow the IATA rules, I had already made some non-refundable arrangements at my destination.

I assume that if you showed up for a flight and the airline agent said: "Oh, we've decided to cancel your ticket. You'll get your money back in about six weeks", you would just reply:
"Thanks. Too bad that I've already booked a tour/hotel at my destination, and it's now too late to cancel the reservation. I've therefore lost lots of money, but I'm satisfied with getting my ticket money back. You've broken your own rules, but who cares about rules"?
The airlines must love you

Back to the topic: I've been told that SN flights are quite nice. The problem is getting aboard...
Old Sep 18, 2003, 9:00 am
Suspended

I have taken advantage of mistake fares myself, so I have some experience with this. I knew when I bought them that there was a possibility that the airline would not honor the mistake tickets. I didn't pretend that these were "real" tickets. They aren't. They're mistakes. Usually airlines honor them, sometimes they don't.

There's no such thing as a free lunch. Honestly, I don't think you have anybody to blame but yourself for not being careful. Certainly you should know in the future that if you take advantage of a mistake fare, you should NOT make non-refundable accomodation arrangements, etc... at your final destination.

Speaking of financial health, no business will operate long if they sell merchandise for $100 when the cost of the merchandise is $1500. Thus, it is not surprising that a small airline like SN refused to re-book you on South African or British Air.

[This message has been edited by OttoGraham (edited 09-18-2003).]
Old Sep 21, 2003, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
beepee - thank you so much for your reassuring post. This puts my mind at ease concerning my Christmas flights. I will be flying USA-Cameroon roundtrip.
Old Sep 22, 2003, 5:43 pm

Programs: QR platinum
have a pleasant trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.