Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Would you trust WizzAir to not cancel your flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2023, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM

Thinking of taking WizzAir on a route that it flies nonstop 2x/week that nobody else flies nonstop. In this situation, I worry that they just cancel the flight "just because" and we're screwed and it messes up the logistics of the rest of our trip because there wouldn't even be a realistic nonstop to book on with a different airline even for significantly more money. Does WizzAir cancel flights "just because" more than regular airlines?
Old Jul 23, 2023, 7:23 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
No, they typically don't cancel a single flight "just because." They can always cancel the route if the loads are light, but for 2x/week - it sounds like they're pretty confident they'll get enough traffic.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Rely on Wizzair at your peril. If an IRROPs situation does happen, they will make zero effort to get you to your destination.

If you are booking for next month, you'd likely be fine in terms of route cancellations, but if you are booking for 2024 almost anything could happen.

I would also feel more comfortable booking something between a Wizzair base and a major European city - something like Sofia / Lisbon - than a totally random city pair where neither airport is a major Wizzair base nor has many alternative airlines to choose from...
Old Jul 24, 2023, 4:07 pm

Programs: Avios
I had the same fears that you did. We had to fly from Prague to Rome with no other good options. We had a great flight on a newish plane that left on time and arrived early. No complaints here.
jjbiv and irishguy28 like this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I was also worried about IRROPS or cancellation for our FCO-GOT flight (also operates 2x weekly). It was super cheap (even with the premium add-on) and the flight appeared to be about 80% full. It left about an hour late (with no explanation), and arrived 30-ish minutes late. An annoyance, but not a huge deal.

Like with all ULCCs, when things go fine (or moderately okay), then it's a totally acceptable experience. When things go wrong, it's a nightmare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.