Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Malta refunds

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2020, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Air Malta refunds

Just sent the email requesting my refund from Air Malta following a cancellation.

Has anyone been through this process and are able to share their timelines?

The email and by phone they said it can take up to six months. Has anyone actually gotten a refund yet?
Old Jul 11, 2020, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Presuming that by cancellation, you mean that KM cancelled, not you. If that is the case, then EC 261/2004 requires that the carrier initiate a refund within seven days of your request.

If it does not, simply file a chargeback with your credit card issuer (bank).

Make certain to do everything in writing and to provide the following:
- Copy of your e-ticket receipt
- Notice of cancellation.
- Your request for a refund, noting that you are entitled to a refund under EC 261/2004.
- That email from KM advising that it will make a refund (simply outside of the legal requirements).

Do not wait for a refund and do not waste time on the phone with KM
Old Jul 13, 2020, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Presuming that by cancellation, you mean that KM cancelled, not you. If that is the case, then EC 261/2004 requires that the carrier initiate a refund within seven days of your request.

If it does not, simply file a chargeback with your credit card issuer (bank).

Make certain to do everything in writing and to provide the following:
- Copy of your e-ticket receipt
- Notice of cancellation.
- Your request for a refund, noting that you are entitled to a refund under EC 261/2004.
- That email from KM advising that it will make a refund (simply outside of the legal requirements).

Do not wait for a refund and do not waste time on the phone with KM
I'm certainly tempted to go down that route, and have for other airlines, but many have been burnt trying.

Air Malta never emailed me to promise a refund, on the phone they said I need to email the request and the email I got back was a default one saying it'd take six months. But yes - they cancelled, not me. Not that they emailed to tell me - I had to spot it in the manage my booking page.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 8:21 am
Suspended

Nonetheless, EC 261/2004 requires that the carrier initiate a refund within 7 days of your request.

Don't stand on the form of whether KM emailed you about the cancellation. What you need is something which demonstrates that the carrier did cancel. A screenshot of your booking showing the cancellation or other demonstration that the flight was cancelled are more than sufficient.

For the benefit of others, there was nothing wrong with OP calling. But, a follow up email or webform submission confirming the conversation and reiterating the request, can be helpful.

No reason to delay seeking the chargeback.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

My bank forces me to wait 15 days before I can initiate it. I'll go ahead with it after that point.😊
Old Jul 13, 2020, 4:46 pm

Flight cancelled in early April and got refunded in June for me
Old Jul 13, 2020, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dan1113
My bank forces me to wait 15 days before I can initiate it. I'll go ahead with it after that point.😊
Time to change banks.
James91 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 5:10 am
Original Poster

I have filed my chargeback so we shall see how it goes.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:58 am
Suspended

Never got a refund for my cancelled April flight. Initiated a charge back in June. Got my money back in July.
Clearly, Air Malta has no intention of refunding anything and should be regarded as a criminal organization.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 1:59 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
I have a booking for late Oct but the flight is no longer selling on their system and MMB looks live. I would like to travel.

I have made a high number of charge backs on a variety of hotels, airlines and car hire firms via Amex this year and everyone has been refunded promptly by Amex. It has often been months later (BA) before the firm itself refunds, in the case of Conrad Bali not yet 3 months down the line.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 1:03 am
Original Poster

My Air Malta chargeback is now complete and was successful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.