Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

skip flight from different airline in booked itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

skip flight from different airline in booked itinerary

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2020, 1:04 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by Phantasy
And lastly: when LIAT has a delayed/canceled flight which leads to missing my connection back to Paris. Will I be put on the next flight at no extra cost because the whole trip is made in 1 booking?
Knowing the fare you are talking about (which seems to be an OTA-specific 'flash sale'), and taking into account the reputation of some of the airlines involved on the ticket (LIAT/Corsair), it is certainly something which I wouldn't bet on.

Attractive fare for sure, but I wouldn't trust LIAT to fly on time, let alone them or Corsair being magnanimous to help you out without charging a lot of $$. See point 2) mentioned by Often1. They *might* help you, but I really wouldn't count on it.

At least it's a good thing that you seem to be aware of this, as otherwise you wouldn't have come here to ask this. Good job on that! Unfortunately, dozens of other people who might have booked this fare (after it was heavily promoted by the usual scavengers on the internet) will not be aware of it and might be in for a surprise.

In normal times, I might have well booked the same ticket as even for a one-way fare it is still great given the attractive outbound routing (120 EUR or so it was for a return ticket?). But I would definitely make sure to have a backup plan in place in case it would turn sour (whether it is having enough miles to fly home, or knowing the approximate price for a last-minute ticket back to Europe in case those intra-island LIAT flights do not go as planned and to be ready to spend that amount).
Phantasy likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 10:55 am
Original Poster

I want to thank you for your helpful replies and advice. I became a wiser person

Originally Posted by Often1
1. No. PNR's / reference codes and the like do not generally create connections. What matters is the e-ticket number. That is three its followed by a hyphen and then 14 digits. What you are describing appears to be multiple tickets booked into the same PNR. There are some limited occasions where that may be advantageous, but not for the purpose you describe.

2. Some opaque third-party sites (OTA's) try to sell multiple tickets booked into the same PNR as a single itinerary. When things go right, this is not a problem. But, when things go wrong, it is just a bunch of separate tickets appearing on a single piece of paper emailed to you by the vendor.

3. Yes. But, it is not a matter of a carrier affirmatively checking. All of this is the essence of interline ticketing agreements. It is important to carriers not merely as an anti-fraud measure as it would be in this case, but because carriers use this data to determine what they can sell. Once you no show for one segment and the remaining segments are cancelled, the down-ticket carrier(s) is/are able to sell more space and that generates more revenue. A significant issue.
The e-ticket (format 140-9999999999(-99)) seems to be the same for every flight. The OTA is gotogate.com (I know, it has a disputable reputation). Is this one of the opaque third party OTA sites you are talking?
However when I access the booking on all of the involved airlines websites, the same e-ticket number is displayed.
To my surprise, the Corsair's website says under e-ticket number: "Issuing airline: LIAT" (I'd always assume it was Corsair if it was really 1 e-ticket as it appears to be now).
No price-details are shown, only when I supposedly try to modify the date (which is only possible for their own Corsair-flights of course), the difference in fare to be paid learns that Corsair knows what I paid for the whole e-ticket.

In that matter:
  • Option 1: take all the flights as on the ticket
    --> ok when everything goes as planned. But in case of a delay/cancellation, not any of the airlines are obligated to put me on an alternative later flight, despite it's all on the same e-ticket number. Correct?
  • Option 2a: not checking in (and not boarding) the LIAT-flights
    Option 2b: checking in but not board the LIAT-flights
    --> both will likely result in cancellation of the main (Corsair) return flight
    Option 2c: cancel the LIAT-flights directly with LIAT
    --> When I view the trip on LIAT's website, only the price-details of the expensive fully flexible LIAT-flights are displayed (which are 4x the amount I paid for the entire trip). I wonder if this is paid by the OTA or if this error is on LIATs side.
    Under "Other Airlines Flight" other very basic info (not fare's etc.) of the other flights are displayed, and the booking number under "Third Party Record Locator".
    Would this also result in cancellation of the subsequent Corsair flight? (Note that officially there are no discount fares when booking them together).
  • Option 3a: modify the dates of the LIAT flight to an earlier date (so I can enjoy the other islands too and have more tolerance on delays).
    --> Since LIAT's booking system says 500$+ dollar is paid for their flights (which may or may not be true) it won't look suspicious (if no other parts which I can't see are telling something contradictory). Will this likely result in cancellation of the Corsair return flight?
    Option 3b: modify the dates of the LIAT flights to a later date (later than all other flights)
    --> This to prevent that the Corsair flights will get cancelled. Question is here if that's even possible and if it would result in fare change of the entire e-ticket.
Option 3a would be ultimate. I wouldn't be sad and want to take the risk that the whole trip will be cancelled, unless someone says that it is highly unlikely that this will work.
Note that LIAT fare rules of the ticket says: "Changes allowed via reissue only. Revalidation not permitted.". Don't know if this is relevant.

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
Knowing the fare you are talking about (which seems to be an OTA-specific 'flash sale'), and taking into account the reputation of some of the airlines involved on the ticket (LIAT/Corsair), it is certainly something which I wouldn't bet on.

Attractive fare for sure, but I wouldn't trust LIAT to fly on time, let alone them or Corsair being magnanimous to help you out without charging a lot of $$. See point 2) mentioned by Often1. They *might* help you, but I really wouldn't count on it.

At least it's a good thing that you seem to be aware of this, as otherwise you wouldn't have come here to ask this. Good job on that! Unfortunately, dozens of other people who might have booked this fare (after it was heavily promoted by the usual scavengers on the internet) will not be aware of it and might be in for a surprise.

In normal times, I might have well booked the same ticket as even for a one-way fare it is still great given the attractive outbound routing (120 EUR or so it was for a return ticket?). But I would definitely make sure to have a backup plan in place in case it would turn sour (whether it is having enough miles to fly home, or knowing the approximate price for a last-minute ticket back to Europe in case those intra-island LIAT flights do not go as planned and to be ready to spend that amount).
Thanks for the advice. At least I won't run into unpleasant surprises now. I prepare for the worst, everything else becomes a pleasant surprise now.

Apart from this case, I learned something about PNR, e-tickets and how airlines deal with reservations. Thank you for this!

Last edited by Phantasy; May 19, 2020 at 11:04 am Reason: type error
Old May 19, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
140 indeed means it is all LIAT ticket stock - so I would definitely not attempt to skip any of the actual LIAT segments on it.

It seems a complicated case and I'm no real expert on this front (maybe the others here can say more!). Without knowing the full fare rules of your ticket (and exact itinerary and alternative flights - LIAT might not fly on every single day) is is impossible to say if it would be possible in your case to change the LIAT segments to another date.

And even if possible, it might also go way above the head of the call center agents you speak at Gotogate or LIAT as it is not the most straightforward case (not sure if LIAT can do it or if they will direct you to the OTA for it). If they somehow do manage, it might still cause a fare adjustment or worse, cancellation if someone finds out they made an error which is costing them money. On such tickets the normal rule is that it is best to avoid ANY kind of human interaction, so I would really go for option 1) you described: fly as planned.

Last edited by Romanianflyer; May 19, 2020 at 5:13 pm
Old May 20, 2020, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer

And even if possible, it might also go way above the head of the call center agents you speak at Gotogate or LIAT as it is not the most straightforward case (not sure if LIAT can do it or if they will direct you to the OTA for it). If they somehow do manage, it might still cause a fare adjustment or worse, cancellation if someone finds out they made an error which is costing them money. On such tickets the normal rule is that it is best to avoid ANY kind of human interaction, so I would really go for option 1) you described: fly as planned.
Seems the safest option idd.
I wasn't considering contacting the OTA, not going to wake up sleeping dogs.
I'm tempted to take a more limited risk in letting LIAT to change de date, to find out if it would work. When they redirect me to the OTA, I'll leave everything as it is.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Update for those who are interested.

The first (outbound) flight (Paris --> Martinique) was cancelled by Corsair (it didn't fly). They didn't put me on the next available Corsair flight (even when I asked them and while almost all other flights from them were not cancelled).
All the other flights on my booking were not cancelled.
I contacted Corsair, GoToGate (OTA), and LIAT and said that I can't take the the return flights if the outward flight is cancelled.
Corsair and LIAT support desk told me to deal with this with the travel agency (GoToGate).
And the travel agency GoToGate told me they can't do anything about this and referred me to the airline. Saying that everyone is referring to each other didn't help. Felt like talking to a robot.

A month before the departure date, LIAT suspended all operations and flights (because of financial crisis due to covid), almost went bankrupt if not saved by its government.

If the Corsair flight wouldn't have been cancelled, or if I would have booked a flight one day later, it probably would have worked without taking the LIAT flights, assuming that Corsair wouldn't cancel my return flight because LIAT didn't fly.

Strange that subsequent flights are cancelled when you cancel previous flights on the same booking, but not when the airline itself cancels the first flight.

I could probably pursue this legally, but not worth the hassle, time and money.
Until now I haven't got my money back (around 150 euro), but it was worth trying
Old Feb 1, 2023, 7:23 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
When the airline cancels a flight, the situation is different - you have a lot more leeway on rebookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.