Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Flybe about to go bump... [in administration 5 March 2020]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flybe about to go bump... [in administration 5 March 2020]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
sad for an iconic British airline
Iconic? What exactly was "iconic" about Flybe? Unless you mean that pottering about with no solid long term business plan, flying on a wing and a prayer and hoping that something will turn up is what we should understand as "iconically British"?

Originally Posted by loopflyer
in the modern era we are in there are business and people who need air service, e.g. to get to major medical hospitals from rural areas.
Surely this is something for the air ambulance service rather than a scheduled passenger airline?
Old Mar 7, 2020, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by NickB
Surely this is something for the air ambulance service rather than a scheduled passenger airline?
Depending on the location of the patient and what they're being treated for, they get a free flight to the hospital for their scheduled appointments/operations.

Air Ambulance only comes for emergencies.
NickB likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeyUpDuck
Depending on the location of the patient and what they're being treated for, they get a free flight to the hospital for their scheduled appointments/operations.

Air Ambulance only comes for emergencies.
Thanks for this. I learnt something. Still, it seems to me that, if a service like this is needed, it makes more sense for this to be provided via an ambulance service of some description for patients who genuinely need it rather than artificially propping up a commercially non-viable airline for the odd patient every now and then.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
It looks like the UK will likely have to pull out of the Paris Agreement in order to carry out any infrastructure projects (HS2 and roads are being targeted now) however one lawyer I know said it would be fairly easy for Heathrow expansion to become legal if the government adds a section to its decision saying the implications as per the Paris agreement have been considered.

However with all this coronavirus hitting the global economy hard, I think this climate emergency will have to take a back seat as governments slash taxes and boost infrastructure investment to try to gain economic recovery.

The Scottish and NI governments now have APD devolved and as both these areas have been hit by the Flybe collapse and as road and rail is not really that feasible many, they must act to cut those taxes as an incentive for the likes of EasyJet and Ryanair to start routes.
HS2 is in primary legislation so should be safe.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:49 am

Thanks for this. I learnt something. Still, it seems to me that, if a service like this is needed, it makes more sense for this to be provided via an ambulance service of some description for patients who genuinely need it rather than artificially propping up a commercially non-viable airline for the odd patient every now and then.
It makes no economical sense to have an air ambulance service for patient transport, I know one Trust has looked into it and even with their load numbers, it would end up losing the Trust a significant amount more than they currently spend which is less than the advertised ticket price per patient.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeyUpDuck
It makes no economical sense to have an air ambulance service for patient transport, I know one Trust has looked into it and even with their load numbers, it would end up losing the Trust a significant amount more than they currently spend which is less than the advertised ticket price per patient.
Yes, but that is because the cost of propping up the failing airline is external to the Trust so all the Trust is paying is just the marginal cost of the air ticket, which is peanuts in the overall cost. If you genuinely integrate the full cost of propping up the airline, then I suspect that the cost would substantially exceed what would be the cost of the ambulance service.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 4:29 am

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
Iconic? What exactly was "iconic" about Flybe? Unless you mean that pottering about with no solid long term business plan, flying on a wing and a prayer and hoping that something will turn up is what we should understand as "iconically British"?
True.

No real plan as to what they wanted to be plus several name and livery changes. The ex Brussels aircraft didn't even get repainted.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHui9pG
Old Oct 19, 2020, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC
And coming back?

"The collapsed regional airline Flybe could restart operations as soon as next year, after a former shareholder stepped in to buy its remaining assets.

The airline plans to "start off smaller than before", its new owner Thyme Opco said, without giving further details."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54596915
Old Oct 20, 2020, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
It could be a really good thing, for the underserved regions of Britain anyway. But as I said over on the BA board, they should do it with another brand. The Flybe brand was pretty much hated towards the end, except for a few diehards.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Flybe 2.0 gets its first plane:

https://simpleflying.com/flybe-2-0-f...-registration/
Old Jan 23, 2021, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Oh no, get rid of that ridiculous chocolate biscuit livery. And I mean chocolate biscuits taken over by the chemical companies, as all British chocolate biscuits have been.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.