Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Can Ryanair taxi at full speed with everyone standing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Hi All!

I just arrived in Rome on flight FR4905. I may be wrong, but Im pretty sure it is illegal for an airline to taxi at full speed while half of the passengers are standing, the overhead compartments are open, suitcases are blocking the aisles/emergency exits and the crew make no announcements whatsoever.

I would love your expert opinions ))
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did they leave the gate before everyone was seated or did this happen upon landing?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Upon landing. The plane pulled off the runway and stopped for around 30 seconds. Seatbelt signs still on. Half of the plane stood up and took out luggage. Cabin crew in my experience on other airlines would normally say to sit down and the plane doesn't move until they are seated, but here, nothing. Then the plane started to move again at full taxi speed for about 5 minutes to arrive at the terminal with at least half of the plane standing in the aisles with their bags and luggage compartments open with bags still in them. I thought this was against EU regulations, but I may be wrong.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
No such regulations but the insurance compaines might have a problem with it

I have been on flights where passengers jumped up and tried to get things out of the OH bin the moment the aircraft touched the runway.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's typical on flights in mainland China. I've also seen it on flights to/from SVO and TLV.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: QF WP
Pax have been warned by the presence of lit fasten seatbelt signs

if i was a judge id be throwing out any personal injury claims as a result (sadly I am not a judge)
farci, trooper and irishguy28 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:31 am
Original Poster

I admit, I fly multiple times every week and have never witnessed it before. Thus, it raised alarm bells for me. Thanks though for letting me know that it doesn't break any regulations.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:33 am

I've heard FAs announce that it's a FAA rule (this would apply only to USA carriers or flights leaving the USA) that the plane cannot leave gate until everyone is seated, bins closed, etc. Realistically there isn't much that FAs (or the pilots) can do when people jump up as soon as the plane touches down.
trooper likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:38 am

What do you expect? For the crew to stop the aircraft on an active taxiway for however long it takes to get all those self entitled idiots to sit down and strap in? "Illegal"? Under what set of laws? (It may well be in contravention of procedure...but against the law??)
farci, irishguy28 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by trooper
What do you expect? For the crew to stop the aircraft on an active taxiway for however long it takes to get all those self entitled idiots to sit down and strap in? "Illegal"? Under what set of laws? (It may well be in contravention of procedure...but against the law??)
it might be illegal for the pax to be standing if they are in contravention of a direction (including lighted signs/placards etc) 😉
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
One more reason why I prefer windows seats... the stuff from the OH bins doesn't fall on your head and pax who are not strapped in when the aircraft comes to a sudden halt tend to fly down the aisle
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by trooper
I'm not quite sure what EU laws are, but I'm pretty sure they are similar to the FAA's laws. So yes, I do expect the aircraft to stop on an active taxiway because it's illegal under US FAR's. I've seen it happen a number of times. I haven't flown enough on European airlines to know what the norm is. The few times I have, no one got up until we were at the gate.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:11 pm

The crew was probably just about to end their 6th/7th/8th flight of the day and, given that services within/to/from Italy tend to have that special feature (i.e. passengers behaving as if an emergency just occurred or answering calls and talk loudly when the plane has yet to touch down and all that), they simply had enough and let it go

G
Koby, RoyalFlush, Franky16 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
I guess the universal law on any commercial flight is to obey the order of the commander(s) (cabin crew & pilots) of the plane.
Hence a lot depends on the FR crew, to make the anouncement when the first few stand up. To get them seated.
I believe they must be happy, when pax are pro -active in aiding a faster turnaround .
With FR throw peanuts , get monkeys.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:53 pm

In the US, it's 14 CFR 91.107(a)(3) for the generic aircraft operation regulation. For Airlines, 14 CFR 121.311 just says that the seats/harnesses have to be available for each passenger/crew member older than 2 years of age.

But that doesn't apply to Ryanair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.