Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian Air stability through summer?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2021, 4:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Remeber the extremes Norwegian went into to save crew costs? Cabin crew bases in BKK and FLL, flight crew based in Ireland, etc. Cutting costs is all fine and dandy, but at one point it gets absurd.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by iahphx
Well, we knew the end of Norwegian's transatlantic service was inevitable, but this shows you just how hard it is to kill a bad business idea that has significant financial backing. We'll never know what would have happened if not for the pandemic; my guess is there would have been a sale and gradual draw down of the service.

Now it's left for the survivors to figure out what to do. I do think we're in the final quarter of "mass pandemic," so I'd bet on a return to something near normal sometime this year.
I'm not convinced air travel will bounce back that quickly. Youre relying on a lot of people to have their income improved from where it is now which, isn't a given. Youre also relying on a rapid roll back of rules designed to prevent covid spread.

Conservatively, I think you're looking into next year before load factors get back to normal and even longer for fares to recover.
irishguy28 and James91 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 10:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Seems like Norwegian may get another round of assistance from the Norwegian government to remain around and have a chance to be a player in the short-haul/mid-haul flying range.

A healthy, highly competitive marketplace -- no less so in a commodity market of sorts -- is not likely without there also being a mix of money-losing losers in the picture too. Any market that is entirely free of having money-losing players that may or will end up insolvent is a market that is not a healthy, highly competitive marketplace.

A healthy, competitive marketplace is more possible and sustainable when there aren't government-backed oligopolies being granted waivers and favors that so extensively facilitate the conversion and elimination of consumer surplus for the benefit of favored suppliers in the marketplace. The money-losing ways of Norwegian are the kind of thing that sort of act as a limited counterweight to the stacking of the playing field in favor of the government-backed behemoths, their carnal buddies and those other suppliers who accept the behemoths' "discipline".
Old Feb 2, 2021, 4:42 am

Programs: SK EBG, AY+ Gold (until 06/24), BT VIP
Norwegian did today send an e-mail saying the Norwegian Reward program will "be paused". No earning, no redeeming of anything.

1. Pausing of Reward program benefits with Norwegian while in reconstruction process
We will be pausing the Norwegian airline-related benefits of our loyalty program. Your membership will remain active, but during this time it will not be possible for you to earn or spend CashPoints or Rewards on Norwegian’s products or services (flight tickets, extra baggage etc.). You will still be able to earn CashPoints with our other Reward partners.

2. Following the pause, a potential limit on CashPoint spend
Once the pause has ended, you'll be able to earn and redeem CashPoints and Rewards on Norwegian’s products and services, but we will reserve a right to limit the spending of CashPoints as means of payment until the impact of the ongoing pandemic is under control and Norwegian’s commercial activities can return to a new normal.

3. An extension of CashPoints and Rewards validity
We recognise that the above changes, as well as the ongoing pandemic and government travel restrictions, may not allow you to earn and spend your CashPoints and Rewards as you would normally. With this in mind, we will be giving all members with CashPoints due to expire on 31 December 2021 the opportunity to extend the validity of those CashPoints by one full year. You will receive more information about this.

The expiration of Rewards has been paused since last year, as well as the number of flights needed to qualify for Rewards adjusted, and this will continue until further notice.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
It's really got a whiff of Air Berlin and the Top Bonus program, this has.. Even though TB didn't get put on hold, they were blithely saying you could do this and that with it, before it suddenly got shut down.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I'm not convinced air travel will bounce back that quickly. Youre relying on a lot of people to have their income improved from where it is now which, isn't a given. Youre also relying on a rapid roll back of rules designed to prevent covid spread.

Conservatively, I think you're looking into next year before load factors get back to normal and even longer for fares to recover.
The elite -- aka "the people who fly" -- have plenty of money to fly. They generally haven't been hit hard financially by Covid. But they have to want to fly. I think that will be the case this year. I do think a bigger problem will be open borders. There's a lot of irrational fear about foreigners coming in and bringing Covid. If you live in Australia and New Zealand, I could understand that fear. But across the Atlantic? It's foolish. There's been plenty of Covid in all these countries and travellers won't make any difference. But as we've seen with the erroneous "variant" scares, fear still dominates our society. It's easy to be fearful of the people from away somehow killing you. So we'll have to see how this plays out. My guess is the desire to travel will win out over the fear, but we'll need low case numbers for that to happen.
DaveS likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 3:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A bunch of "the elite" aren't flying using OPM like they used to fly; and many of "the elite" won't be back to flying like they were in 2019 until at least 2022 .... if even then.

Given how the AstraZeneca vaccine seems less effective against at least one major variant, I would say that variant concerns are not an erroneous concern. And given Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna are rushing to get geared up for revised vaccines too -- as needed to deal with new variants -- it appears that the experts in the business of making and selling vaccines don't think it's an erroneous business concern either.

Originally Posted by Finni
Norwegian did today send an e-mail saying the Norwegian Reward program will "be paused". No earning, no redeeming of anything.
And what about the Bank Norwegian-issued CashPoints affiliated cards still in use?

Originally Posted by Concerto
It's really got a whiff of Air Berlin and the Top Bonus program, this has.. Even though TB didn't get put on hold, they were blithely saying you could do this and that with it, before it suddenly got shut down.
That did come to mind. It's to be seen if Norwegian's program goes the way of AB's program or if it goes the way of what was 9W's program. Jet Airways is long gone as an airline, but its program was rebranded and is still around.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
And what about the Bank Norwegian-issued CashPoints affiliated cards still in use?
The cards still earn points, but cardholders may choose cashback instead of cashpoints (source). Bank DY has nothing to do with DY. DY is not listed as one of the biggest shareholders of Bank DY. I think that DY sold all of its remaining Bank DY shares a couple of years ago because they needed money. Bank DY is probably treated as one of "our other Reward partners" in the quoted correspondence in post #769.

Since you can't redeem cashpoints for the moment, cashback sounds safer than cashpoints.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
The elite -- aka "the people who fly" -- have plenty of money to fly. They generally haven't been hit hard financially by Covid. But they have to want to fly. I think that will be the case this year. I do think a bigger problem will be open borders. There's a lot of irrational fear about foreigners coming in and bringing Covid. If you live in Australia and New Zealand, I could understand that fear. But across the Atlantic? It's foolish. There's been plenty of Covid in all these countries and travellers won't make any difference. But as we've seen with the erroneous "variant" scares, fear still dominates our society. It's easy to be fearful of the people from away somehow killing you. So we'll have to see how this plays out. My guess is the desire to travel will win out over the fear, but we'll need low case numbers for that to happen.
I said at the beginning of this crisis, and I stand by it now, that the only thing more infectious than Corona is stupidity. And we have seen a LOT of the latter during the last year, in many different forms.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 2:58 pm
Suspended

The founder of Norwegian said today he plans to start a new Norwegian long-haul 787 airline possibly as early as December.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I guess someone has got some cash they are desperate to loose....

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/norw...line-to-start/
Old Mar 15, 2021, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
The founder of Norwegian said today he plans to start a new Norwegian long-haul 787 airline possibly as early as December.
Well, if the lessors are playing along, this could be possible.
However, who in his right mind will lend a new "Norwegian" any money?
Old Mar 15, 2021, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by warakorn
Well, if the lessors are playing along, this could be possible.
However, who in his right mind will lend a new "Norwegian" any money?
For the lessors, getting some money is better than getting no money. And getting the planes from parked without a contract to placed with an airline means the lessor does not have to pay for the costs of having the planes parked either. I'd go along if there was a reasonable chance of getting the lease payments for 12 to 18 months.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 7:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
My guess is that the lessors want to write off their old investments and start aftesh. Then they can repackage the debt in a new product that can be sold to their investors. In todays financial world all you need is a new label on old debt. Whether the companyis a going concern is rather secondary
Old Mar 17, 2021, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw this and couldn't believe it. Is it April already?
There's nothing that will stop them, eh?
But to be honest, if things get going as hoped and life comes back to normal, it will be good to have something offering competition on the North Atlantic routes. Otherwise TATL tickets could get a lot dearer in the near future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.