Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

WOW headed for bankruptcy [operations ceased 28 March 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WOW headed for bankruptcy [operations ceased 28 March 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:53 pm

The WOW bird left BOS today. TF-DOG went to LCQ, which also got TF-CAT from EWR.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:23 pm

Dunno if anyone is following this, but I did the Experience Airbus A380 tour in Toulouse, and 2 birds in full WOW livery were observed by the engine test area (couldn’t tell if they were in a queue or just parked nearby).
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: AY Silver, BA Silver, FI Saga hopeful
Originally Posted by tecate55
Dunno if anyone is following this, but I did the Experience Airbus A380 tour in Toulouse, and 2 birds in full WOW livery were observed by the engine test area (couldn’t tell if they were in a queue or just parked nearby).
I guess they were A330s? They are the ones that WOW refused to accept delivery of. They are the reason WOW went bankrupt.
No way to operate profitably, no way to get rid of.
-
DJ
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: AY Silver, BA Silver, FI Saga hopeful
ex-WOW (?) A320 TF-GPA

Additionally, we passed by KEF's ex-military apron little over a week ago.
TF-GPA was still there. It was given to Isavia as one of the "guarantee planes", because WOW had accumulated tens of millions of dollars in landing fees etc. that were going unpaid because Isavia and by extension, Icelandic government didn't want to be the entity that pushed WOW over the edge.

Only problem was that WOW didn't own that plane. Owned by ALC, which understandably got antsy about the fact that their property was now being held at KEF and they we're made liable for fees incurred by WOW. ALC sued Isavia, but they got slapped down by Icelandic court.

Isavia has magnanimously agreed to release the plane, the moment they receive "sufficient guarantees" that the debt will get paid. I imagine their definition of "sufficient guarantee" might take a form of cash sum equivalent of those debts, deposited in an Icelandic bank =)
-
DJ
James91 likes this.

Last edited by docjones; Jun 8, 2019 at 7:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.