Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Will we get stuck in Budapest? [W6 connection in BUD]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Sorry for catching your attention with such a flashy title, but we are in terrible trouble.

We need to buy a ticket from Rome to Saint Petersburg. There's not much money and the only available, cheapest option, was found through a Russian website. It's basically two Wizzair flights: Rome - Budapest, Budapest - Saint Petersburg. If we buy this option what happens if the first flight gets delayed and the second one leaves? The person will be stuck at the airport, or does Wizzair in this case offer automatically a new ticket for the next flight?

A big fresh bucket of "thank you"'s to anyone who will help in a timely manner
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:06 am

Unless the flights were bought on one ticket (i.e. with one reservation number), if the first flight is delayed they will miss the second flight and not be put on a future flight for free.

For the second flight, you might want to buy the Wizz Air flexible ticket option which allows changing the flight to the next day if it looks like flight is getting delayed?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If booked on 1 ticket the airline is required to take care of you to get you on their next flight with availability. But with LCCs this doesn't always mean the same day or even the next s networks are limited and flights don't always operate on each day. How long is it between arrival at BUD & the next flight? You will have to do departure immigration from the EU.

If not booked as one ticket, you'll want to confirm this with the agency preferably in writing (email), the traveler will be responsible for a new ticket.

Be sure to take a look into reducing costs of traveling out of a nearby airport and using bus or train to get there.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
The answer is likely to be no. I don't think that Wizz Air, being a LCC, sells any connecting ticket.The Wizz Air website doesn't allow me to book that itinerary. Presumably that Russian website sells you separate tickets as one journey.

This is unfortunately quite frequent with some website. I've seen Ryanair "connections" despite the fact that Ryanair didn't offer connections at that time.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Why do you expect the Rome -BUD flight to be delayed? Most flights arrive as scheduled or with only a minor delay, so most likely you will make the second flight (provided that there is amble time to make the transfer of course). I wouldn't worry too much. If the first flight is delayed and you miss your second flight, it is likely that your travel insurance will cover the cost of purchasing new ticket; check the rules of your travel insurance.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Unless the flights were bought on one ticket (i.e. with one reservation number), if the first flight is delayed they will miss the second flight and not be put on a future flight for free.

For the second flight, you might want to buy the Wizz Air flexible ticket option which allows changing the flight to the next day if it looks like flight is getting delayed?
I don't think Wizz Air does connections because they don't want to deal with missed connections
Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: A3 *G, Hilton Diamond, Accor Silver
Looking at the Wizz Air website for flights through at least July 1, all I see are departures from Budapest at 6:30 AM to St Petersburg (LED).

Are the tickets you are considering buying for the same day?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not selling connections, but rather only singles point-to-point is the W6, and other LCC, response to EC 261/2004. No responsibility for rebooking, no duty of care, and unlike to be any delay compensation unless the specific flight is delayed.

I realize that OP is cost-conscious, but it is often the case that the cheapest tickets are not the least expensive journey. It is fine to say that most flights are on time, but OP does not care about most flights. If he is unlucky and it is his flight delayed, he is stuck purchasing a new ticket for some later time (date) at walk-up fares and paying for a hotel and food while stuck.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:12 pm

Direct flights as low as £35 one way if u fly fm Pisa on something called Pobeda. Alternatively £140 one way direct on Aeroflot fm FCO.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Why do you expect the Rome -BUD flight to be delayed? Most flights arrive as scheduled or with only a minor delay, so most likely you will make the second flight (provided that there is amble time to make the transfer of course). I wouldn't worry too much. If the first flight is delayed and you miss your second flight, it is likely that your travel insurance will cover the cost of purchasing new ticket; check the rules of your travel insurance.
With separate tickets, it's not a connection and most travel insurance doesn't cover this risk. YMMV.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @LeonardoPaoletti. Please follow the redirect as we send this to our European Airlines forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
I would even add a day or two buffer in Budapest just to be on the safe side.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ilcannone
I would even add a day or two buffer in Budapest just to be on the safe side.
I guess we all have different perceptions of risk...I would add 2-3 hours to be on the safe side (but I'm also prepared to buy a new ticket to get my destination if the first flight is seriously late - most of the time I make such change of aircraft without any issue)
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
With separate tickets, it's not a connection and most travel insurance doesn't cover this risk. YMMV.
If you re-read my post I have not suggested that this was a connecting flight; I carefully left out the words "connection" or "connecting flights" as I'm fully aware that this is not a connection when the OP is on separate tickets.

My travel insurance is not restricted to coverage for connecting flights only (such coverage would be of no use to me as the airline will take care of you if you misconnect) but provided reasonable time between the 2 separate flights. I have not tested this but I assume that this means at least MCT (when travelling HBO).
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by SK AAR
I guess we all have different perceptions of risk...I would add 2-3 hours to be on the safe side (but I'm also prepared to buy a new ticket to get my destination if the first flight is seriously late - most of the time I make such change of aircraft without any issue)
You could consider it an extra bit of holiday also, there is also the possibility of flying into the Baltics or Helsinki then taking the bus/train in, or fly into Moscow instead then bus/train!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.