Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Gold Benefits - TAP Portugal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Gold Benefits - TAP Portugal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, JetSmarter, Global Entry, CLEAR
Cool Star Alliance Gold Benefits - TAP Portugal

Hi everyone,

I am considering using TAP Portugal for the first time and had a quick question. I have Star Alliance Gold and was wondering if you buy the 'hand baggage only' ticket if you are able to select seats in advance? I see that we are allowed to bring extra baggage but I cannot see anywhere about the seat selection or lounge access.

Thank you in advance!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
With *G and a hand baggage only fare you get:
Lounge access = yes
Priority boarding and security = Yes
Hand baggage = 1+1
Free checked in luggage = none (*G benefit does NOT apply)
Seats = pay in advance or at check-in, free 3 hours before departure.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:05 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
I am Star Alliance Gold and have never had a problem checking in a bag for free on hand baggage only fares...
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jackr27
I am Star Alliance Gold and have never had a problem checking in a bag for free on hand baggage only fares...

You take a chance with agents who may not be knowledgeable.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jackr27
"Never had a problem" being code for successfully sweet-talking the agent into overlooking the rules, or for encountering agents who just didn't know/realise/check that you are not entitled to a baggage allowance?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by irishguy28
"Never had a problem" being code for successfully sweet-talking the agent into overlooking the rules, or for encountering agents who just didn't know/realise/check that you are not entitled to a baggage allowance?

Just flew them last week, inter Europe, checked in online. Had all *G benefits. Didn't use there lounge as I have PP and like their lounge better, but was allowed to access it.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I've experienced no problems either ... so far.

I've no idea if this is a fluke, down to my ineffable charm,the kindness (or ignorance) of the agent, or a glitch in TP's system. And so far I've not been silly enough to delve deeper

I'm no longer in TP's fan club, so my experience of these fares in the last year were limited to a couple of MAN LIS trips when Ryanair were more expensive.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
*G were allowed a free bag on discount fares until about 6 months ago....they perhaps were not yet trained on the new rules but I'm not sure I'd risk it if I didn't want to pay the bag fee.
Old May 3, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LH SEN, DL PM
If i add one Checked luggage online (25 € on my connection) do i get another one for free on *G on discount Fare?
Old May 4, 2018, 7:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by 1nsane
If i add one Checked luggage online (25 € on my connection) do i get another one for free on *G on discount Fare?
Sadly no. You have to buy a ticket with a fare that includes baggage to get the extra *G allowance.
1nsane likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LH SEN, DL PM
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Sadly no. You have to buy a ticket with a fare that includes baggage to get the extra *G allowance.
I could use the online checkin today. I could add 1 piece for free with no charge. I have other bookings without status it says it exceeds the free allowed luggage.
But i couldn't create boarding passes because i changed my seats now the want to charge me for the seats..
When can i deploy the mobile boarding pass? I read 3 h before takeoff?
Old May 16, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1nsane
I could use the online checkin today. I could add 1 piece for free with no charge. I have other bookings without status it says it exceeds the free allowed luggage.
But i couldn't create boarding passes because i changed my seats now the want to charge me for the seats..
When can i deploy the mobile boarding pass? I read 3 h before takeoff?
​​​​​​https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...-exit-row.html
Old May 17, 2018, 3:20 pm
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
It seems TAP have shifted their luggage policy for *G back to allowing one free bag, even on their "Discount" fares. I booked a flight a few months ago, that I just checked in for. When I booked, I'm 99% sure their website said that *G on discount fares got no free checked luggage unless the one ticket spanned multiple *A carriers. I checked it again a few days ago, and they've reverted the wording to allow 1 checked bag for all *G (it specifically states that this extra allowance includes those flying on Discount fares). I rang their CS team, who confirmed this.

Now, at online checkin, the system states my allowance is 1 free bag.
nnn and timetosave like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: AV Diamond, TK ELP, IB Oro, AD Diamante, NZ Gold, QF Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Seat selection is not a Star Alliance Gold benefit. On discount fares, TP charge for seat allocation. But on the plus side usually they put SAGs in the front rows of Y which have significantly more legroom than down the back on their new 320 fleet cabins.

Lounge access will of course be honoured with any fare type.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: United 1K; Hilton HHonors Gold; Marriott Platinum
Providing a data point: last Sunday I was able to check in one bag for free on a discount (cheapest) fare from LIS to AMS (Star Gold). I was expecting to pay for the bag but took my chances when I saw that pre-paying would be slightly less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.