Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Gold Benefits - TAP Portugal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Gold Benefits - TAP Portugal

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by S43R
when I saw that pre-paying would be slightly less.
what do you mean? slightly less than free? Or that you saw that pre-paying would ONLY be slightly less than paying at the airport?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: United 1K; Hilton HHonors Gold; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
what do you mean? slightly less than free? Or that you saw that pre-paying would ONLY be slightly less than paying at the airport?
Airport price was 50 Euros and the pre-pay price online was 42 Euros (up from 25 Euros at booking) at check-in time, so I took my chances.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:54 am

I think that there is a slight difference on checked luggage allowance on Discount fare between Star Gold and TAP Gold as per here: https://www.flytap.com/en-gb/baggage/hold-baggage (see extra baggage note 1 applicable to Star Gold) and calculator here: http://book.flytap.com/bagsim/BaggageStart.aspx?_l=en

The rules were the same but all changed a few months back. I've not risked it as Star Gold and have paid for luggage in advance.

In terms of seat selection, I recall being able to select for free before but then it all changed, probably with luggage rules. Nowadays I have to pay to select seat as Star Gold on Discount. Not sure if there is a difference there as well for TAP Gold.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
A slight variation on the OP's question: As a *G, i I buy a "Basic" or "Classic" ticket in Economy for a flight from SVQ to LIS (an ATR72 ... ugh), what is the weight allowance for a checked bag? 23 or 32 kg?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
23KG plus 1
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
23KG plus 1
Apologies for my denseness, but are you saying 2 bags of up to 23 kg EACH or 2 bags up to 23 kg TOTAL?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jmd001
Apologies for my denseness, but are you saying 2 bags of up to 23 kg EACH or 2 bags up to 23 kg TOTAL?
​​​​​​https://www.flytap.com/en-ca/baggage/hold-baggage
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Another data point: As a *G, they accepted one checked bag on a discount economy fare flying LIS-LHR. There was no discussion about it and no questions were raised at the *G check in desk. However, seat selection was not permitted.

As a separate data point, at LIS they were not weighing hand luggage, but at LHR they were being very strict about it.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Hi, any further data points since? I am flying with them for Xmas and hoping to check in 1 bag for free due to to *G. At the moment, the ‘manage my booking’ system is not displaying any particular information that I am allowed to check one bag for free. I have booked a economy restricted fare (discount).

thanks!
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by JFSV
Hi, any further data points since? I am flying with them for Xmas and hoping to check in 1 bag for free due to to *G. At the moment, the ‘manage my booking’ system is not displaying any particular information that I am allowed to check one bag for free. I have booked a economy restricted fare (discount).

thanks!
There is information about baggage allowances and any FFP perks related to baggage in this app:

http://book.flytap.com/bagsim/BaggageStart.aspx?_l=en

it may, or may not, be current (welcome to the world of TAP...)

In practice, even though the TP "help" line said no checked-bags for free for a non-TAP *A Gold, I was able to check bags in as as an LH Gold.

But baggage delivery takes so long in Lisbon, I try always to be a hand-baggage only passenger.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
OK thanks! It is indeed confusing. This link you have just shared says no free bag for Discount fares.

Conversely, this site states, under "Extra baggage"https://www.flytap.com/en-gb/baggage/hold-baggage :

Book your extra luggage online now so you don’t leave anything behind. There are special conditions if you book before the online check-in opens (up to 36 hours before your flight time). The conditions apply to one extra item of up to 23kg.

If you have TAP Platinum American Express, Victoria Card, we have special conditions for you.

Economy classBusiness classVictoria Gold or Star Alliance Gold1+ 1 item up to 23kg / 50 Ib+ 1 item up to 32kg / 70 IbTAP Platinum American Express+ 1 item up to 23kg / 50 Ib(1) Are entitled to one extra bag weighing a maximum of 23kg/50lb or 32kg/70lb, depending on the cabin in which they are travelling, even if travelling on Discount booking class.

Note: It is not allowed the transport of baggage for infants traveling on tap discount in flights within Europe and North Africa and intercontinental flights. Only completely folding strollers are allowed as hold baggage or the transport of the child’s chair or basket.
Do you have excess baggage? You can check the extra costs here:
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I also was offered the option to check a bag on a .discount fare just under a month ago.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Another data point: As a *G, they accepted one checked bag on a discount economy fare flying LIS-LHR. There was no discussion about it and no questions were raised at the *G check in desk. However, seat selection was not permitted.

As a separate data point, at LIS they were not weighing hand luggage, but at LHR they were being very strict about it.
I hate "worrying" about these draconian luggage rules. As a Star Gold member, I bought a dirt cheap ($120) one way ticket from the USA to London. I don't even want/need a checked bag. I just want to bring normal USA-like carry-on baggage with me. That seems fine -- except they have an 8 kg weight limit. I can travel the world with a normal carry-on and a personal item, but 8 kg (if it's enforced) is a major PITA. I guess all I can do is pack light and hope for the best: and if they weigh my bag and give me grief for it being 2 kg over, I ask for my free Star Gold checked bag.

The other thing I hate is the seat assignment hassle. I only wish that airlines had charged for coach seat assignments at the time the Alliance was formed. I'm sure it would have been included as a free benefit: it's idiotic to get priority airport check-in, bags, boarding and lounge access, and then have to play the seat lottery. So is there any way to get a free seat assignment at check-in, or are they just "randomly" assigned?
leoo likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by iahphx
So is there any way to get a free seat assignment at check-in, or are they just "randomly" assigned?
Assignments are free at T-3h.

The 8kg limit may be enforced if you visit the check-in counter, but not at the gate.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Palal
Assignments are free at T-3h.

The 8kg limit may be enforced if you visit the check-in counter, but not at the gate.
Thanks. So I can choose my own seats 3 hours before departure? Can I do that online or only at the airport?

It is always my strategy to avoid counter visits on any airline with draconian weight limits. Is TAP's online check-in reliable such that I'll be able to check-in online? I never know with foreign carriers. Like earlier this year, I was flying JAL from the USA and got my boarding pass online. I get to the airport and the TSA tells me these are "phony" boarding passes, and I have to go the counter to get a "real" one. Glad I had extra time, and elite status.

I know no one is going to weigh my bag at a USA gate. But what's the situation in Lisbon? Do they have scales at the gates? If not, I should be golden with my 10kg carry-on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.