Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

ryanair: new cabin baggage rule and laptops

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ryanair: new cabin baggage rule and laptops

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: Delta PM
I flew on the 30th of Dec, with 3 bags in cabin, a 10 kg small backpack, a folded garment bag with one suit and some shirts and a panetone. I asked at check-in and it was no problem. I was flying from Italy though.
I think Ryan AIr is just trying to get a handle on the pocket book, handbag issue, so they can be more consistent.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by wxman22
I flew on the 30th of Dec, with 3 bags in cabin, a 10 kg small backpack, a folded garment bag with one suit and some shirts and a panetone. I asked at check-in and it was no problem. I was flying from Italy though.
I think Ryan AIr is just trying to get a handle on the pocket book, handbag issue, so they can be more consistent.
New rules went into effect Jan 15.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by noniron
Does this new rule apply to existing bookings or just new bookings?
It applies to all flights from Jan 15 2018 onwards, regardless of when the ticket was bought.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:56 pm

Can anyone provide the latest view on this please?
I'm flying from Stansted to Dublin next week and want to carry a rucksack with laptop in, it's a mid size Targus business bag and probably exceeds the dimensions stipulated for the small cabin bag.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
No changes... still...

PRIORITY BOARDING/PLUS/FLEXI
1 55x40x20 cm bag @ 10 kg and
1 35x20x20 cm bag
both guaranteed to be taken on board

NO PRIORITY:
1 55x40x20 cm bag @ 10 kg (going into the hold, tagged at the gate)
1 35x20x20 cm bag (guaranteed onboard - under the seat)
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:11 am

Great, thanks
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Yes, but the rules are not clear regarding non-priority passengers arriving at the gate with a single non-wheelie bag, like a rucksack with laptop in, exceeding the 35x20x20 cm limit for cabin bags. My experience between January and now has been that they let you bring it on board. I have not seen reports of the contrary on this forum or elsewhere. However, the lack of an official and clear policy means that every time we just can hope for the best. Ryanair customer service, probed on the matter, has simply restated the official policy, and that is that only 35x20x20 cm bags will be allowed in the cabin for a non-priority passenger, regardless of whether or not the passenger had a 55x40x20 cm bag checked at the gate.
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:35 am

I can't really make sense of this. I have a 55x40x20 bag and a rucksack which I believe exceeds the 35x20x20 rule. I need to have the rucksack on board with me. Is there any way I can do this without having the check the 55x40x20? It doesn't seem that paying the priority and 2 cabin begs fee guarantees this, which is just crazy.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by acquiesce213
I can't really make sense of this. I have a 55x40x20 bag and a rucksack which I believe exceeds the 35x20x20 rule. I need to have the rucksack on board with me. Is there any way I can do this without having the check the 55x40x20? It doesn't seem that paying the priority and 2 cabin begs fee guarantees this, which is just crazy.
Sorry, why is this crazy. These are FR's rules, if you don't like them, there is other carriers you can choose from. Instead of saying this is crazy why not get bag that fits second bag rule... If you NEED to have rucksack with you and you are not willing to "chance it" then the only other option is to check in your 55x40x20 bag and pay for priority boarding which will guarantee your somewhat-over-35x20x20 bag coming on board. In my experience most (if not) all low cost carriers normally don't bother checking size of soft bags unless they are ridiculously over the limit.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by commuter31
Yes, but the rules are not clear regarding non-priority passengers arriving at the gate with a single non-wheelie bag, like a rucksack with laptop in, exceeding the 35x20x20 cm limit for cabin bags. My experience between January and now has been that they let you bring it on board. I have not seen reports of the contrary on this forum or elsewhere. However, the lack of an official and clear policy means that every time we just can hope for the best. Ryanair customer service, probed on the matter, has simply restated the official policy, and that is that only 35x20x20 cm bags will be allowed in the cabin for a non-priority passenger, regardless of whether or not the passenger had a 55x40x20 cm bag checked at the gate.
No, the rules are very clear, however what happens in practice is different to the rules and is down to the gate agent. As previously mentioned I have never seen any gate staff challenging anyone with "soft bag" that is reasonable size. However just because they have never done it in the past, doesn't mean they won't or that these are not the rules.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lehovec
Sorry, why is this crazy. [...] Instead of saying this is crazy why not get bag that fits second bag rule.
It is crazy because if you have a >13" laptop, this won't fit in the cabin bag. Taking the rules literally implies that if you want your >13" laptop in the cabin, you have to buy priority AND use your large cabin bag allowance to carry it. Plus, if you want to travel only with your >13" laptop bag and nothing else, you are stuck: you can't carry it on board because it's too big for the small bag allowance, and you can't obviously have it placed in the hold all by itself. How is this not crazy?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

No, the rules are very clear
I beg to differ. The rules do not cover explicitly the case of a passenger carrying a single bag. This scenario is open to interpretation, and when the rules are open to interpretation they are by definition not 'very clear'. It would be very easy for ryanair to add the single-bag passenger rule, and remove the uncertainty.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:26 am

I beg to differ. The rules do not cover explicitly the case of a passenger carrying a single bag. This scenario is open to interpretation, and when the rules are open to interpretation they are by definition not 'very clear'. It would be very easy for ryanair to add the single-bag passenger rule, and remove the uncertainty.
They do cover passenger carrying a single bag...
Scenario A: single bag 55x40x20, no priority boarding, bag goes into the hold at the gate
Scenario B: single bag 35x20x20, no priority boarding, bag goes onboard
Scenario C: single bag 55x40x20, priority boarding, bag goes onto the a/c
Scenario C: single bag 35x20x20, priority boarding, bags goes onto the a/c

These are the rules, how you or a gate agent decide to interpret them is different. The fact that the FR chat keep referring ppl to this rules, just confirms it.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:28 am

It is crazy because if you have a >13" laptop, this won't fit in the cabin bag. Taking the rules literally implies that if you want your >13" laptop in the cabin, you have to buy priority AND use your large cabin bag allowance to carry it. Plus, if you want to travel only with your >13" laptop bag and nothing else, you are stuck: you can't carry it on board because it's too big for the small bag allowance, and you can't obviously have it placed in the hold all by itself. How is this not crazy?
If you think it is a crazy rule then there is a number of other carriers you can fly with who do not have this "crazy" rule. Just because you don't like this particular rule, it doesn't make it crazy.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:13 am
Original Poster

If you think it is a crazy rule then there is a number of other carriers you can fly with who do not have this "crazy" rule.
You said that already. Many times. This statement does not add anything useful to the conversation.

Just because you don't like this particular rule, it doesn't make it crazy.
As I said, the rule is not crazy because I don't like it. It is crazy because a non-priority passenger traveling just with a regular size (say 15" as an example) laptop bag is stuck. The laptop bag cannot go in the cabin (it's too big), and cannot go in the hold either (ryan air will ask to remove laptops from bags going in the hold; but the laptop itself is too big to go in the cabin according to the rules). Therefore, according to the rules, the only choice for such a passenger is to either pay priority, or pay the gate fee. That in most cases the gate agents will let you through, and you repeating the 'if you don't like it, use another airline' mantra, does not change the fact that the rule is crazy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.