Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian replaced with HiFly flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by 4BandE
Wow. All of the HiFly flights on the OAK-BCN route have been delayed. With my flight being at the end of the month, I'm just hoping to get there!
That's a lot of €€ in compensation!

I wonder if they don't have replacement crews in OAK and just use the same crew on the OB and IB? Could that be the reason for the delay?

When do you think they process this downgrade? Do they do that as soon as they do the aircraft swap or is this an "at the gate" kind of thing?
No clue. Report back once you find out (I hope you don't).

What a great time to be a charter airline! So much business thanks to rolls royce!

Last edited by Palal; Jun 8, 2018 at 4:09 am
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Palal
It's going to be either this plane or this plane.
They removed the first part of biz and converted it to economy. Rows 9 and 10 remain biz lie flat seats. Power should be working, IFE will be provided on tablets (bring your own headphones).

Overall a better hard product over DY's planes, but soft product will be terrible.

As there are fewer premium seats than on DY, about half of DY premium customers will get downgraded. Remember you're due a refund amounting to 75% of the purchase price per EU 261/2004.
I flew CS-TFX (the first link above), yesterday from BCN to OAK. Can confirm that while there are screens for all seats in economy, they do not have any function other than to display "Thank you for choosing Arik Air" for the entire flight or just a blank red screen. They turned the screens on shortly after take-off, but there was no way to turn the screen off. Many of the seats had ripped seat back pockets and broken cup holders; the seat pitch seemed ok. The economy seats they placed in the former forward business class section were different. They looked newer and had smaller seat back screens. Having two bar areas, especially the one in the front of the airplane, was a nice feature that doesn't exist on the Norwegian 787s. Ipads were supplied to the passengers in the premium section, but in economy we had nothing and no in-seat power, a strain for a 12 hour flight.

Last edited by solosf; Jun 9, 2018 at 9:33 am Reason: grammar
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
These A345 were initially ordered by Kingfisher airlines to offer ULH flights from India to the US. Hence the bar and the red color scheme. Arik bought them after KFA couldn't take them and soon after 5K took them. A345 are essentially A330-300 with a A346 wing and some cargo space sacrificed for additional fuel tanks.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
These A345 were initially ordered by Kingfisher airlines to offer ULH flights from India to the US. Hence the bar and the red color scheme. Arik bought them after KFA couldn't take them and soon after 5K took them. A345 are essentially A330-300 with a A346 wing and some cargo space sacrificed for additional fuel tanks.
The engines are also the - 600 version, or a third variety? They are much larger than the - 300 engines, looks similar size to the - 600.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: Southwest, United, Alaska
Norwegian Barcelona to Oakland Switch to Fly High

Norwegian...beware of operator changes.

On Sunday, June 24, flew Premium, Barcelona to Oakland. The flight was fine, arrived on time and safely. Luggage took one hour to arrive.

A few months before the flight, the flight time had changed from an afternoon to a morning time. A month before take off, I received a text that the flight would be operated by Fly High, and that the aircraft was not a Boeing 787. Turned out it was an old Airbus A340-500. I tried calling to verify I still had Premium seats and it took two hours to get through. They confirmed the Premium seats, but they were not together. The only way to verify them was on the day of the flight. However, at check-in, they were two Premium adjacent seats. The good news was that they had a small Business Class section with lay flat seats! What a surprise. The bad news was that my seat's in-flight system wasn't working, and the flight attendants seemed overwhelmed, busy rushing back and forth down the aisles.

The woman sitting across the aisle said that her friend on another Norwegian flight had been bumped back to Economy although she had paid for Premium. So, just be aware that the operator could change and that the plane may not be the advertised newest and "greenest" aircraft staffed with Norwegian flight attendants and state of the art in-flight entertainment.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:51 am

I suspect it was Hi Fly. Lots of discussion here on it.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K; HA Pualani Gold, SWA A-List; Aloha Silver (RIP); HH Gold
Arrived today in Barcelona on HiFly’s A340-500 that is replacing the OAK-BCN and EWR-BCN routes for a while (CS-TFX).

Prior or to this week, this plane was consistently delayed 2.5 to 3 hours. Since the plane’s turnaround time was around two hours, every scheduled flight was delayed until the plane has a longer layover to make up time (on Sundays). This week the plane was much better on schedule and there was only a 1.5 hour delay out of OAK.

The plane interior is showing its age. The inflight entertainment works on some seats but not on others along with the in seat power. As another person has noted, there is a small premium section with lie flat seats. Surprisingly the regular economy section had good legroom comparable to United Economy Plus. When reclining the seat back does recline and seat bottom moves forward. There is an adjustable foot rest below the front tray. The headrests do not move up and down but the sides do fold in. With the recline and headrest folds, some may not need a neck pillow.

They brought out pre ordered meals but did not have other food for passengers until the last 1/3 of the flight where they handed out everyone a bag which had a turkey ham and cheese sandwich, stale cinnamon roll and a bottle of Tropicana apple juice. Just make sure you bring your own food.

The ground/gate crew along with the inflight crew were nice.

Being non stop and for $270 one way, it definitely was worth it. Just don’t expect much from a low cost carrier.

For this specific plane, you can track it here:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/cs-tfx
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:44 am

My sister and I are on a Hi Fly operated flight from BCN - OAK on July 16th. I am confused about the seat map... my tickets say 1E and 1F. I did the “bid for an upgrade” for premium seats but haven’t heard anything back. Is row 1 a standard seat or a premium?

On July 1st I flew Norwegian (regular plane aka no Hi Fly) out of OAK to Gatwick. I originally booked a standard seat but then did the “bid for an upgrade” and was upgraded to premium in row 8. So I am confused about row 1 for Hi Fly... normally the first couple rows are premium or first class... help please!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Jessica Moore
My sister and I are on a Hi Fly operated flight from BCN - OAK on July 16th. I am confused about the seat map... my tickets say 1E and 1F. I did the “bid for an upgrade” for premium seats but haven’t heard anything back. Is row 1 a standard seat or a premium?

On July 1st I flew Norwegian (regular plane aka no Hi Fly) out of OAK to Gatwick. I originally booked a standard seat but then did the “bid for an upgrade” and was upgraded to premium in row 8. So I am confused about row 1 for Hi Fly... normally the first couple rows are premium or first class... help please!
On some aircraft the flow is Y PY Y. So row one could very well be Y.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: UA MM 1K; HA Pualani Gold, SWA A-List; Aloha Silver (RIP); HH Gold
Row 1 on my plane was standard economy. There are not many premium seats.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:55 am

Norwegian flight replaced by HIFLY

I have just had a text advising us that our flight to JFK 19th August is being replaced with HIFLY and that entertainment will be limited - we booked Premium Economy seats for this, can anyone tell me what we can expect? I noticed an article in the Telegraph stating it is a luxury aircraft? Not sure if that's correct?! I am being offered the choice of a refund if I wish to have one but want to find out how this will be first in comparison to what we booked originally if anyone can help. (Bit late to search alternatives anyway!) https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/n...ndon-new-york/
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:39 am

Likely to be the old SQ a380 with first suites.

If it is, it is a bit better than Norwegian. 😬
louise1809 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Well, that's one way for Norwegian to speed up their economical problems...

I'm pretty sure that Norwegian's cost for wet leasing an A380 surpasses their forecasted cost to operate the route themselves with a 787, and they won't get any additional revenue if the switch was made late and they can't sell the additional seat capacity.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:16 pm

Does anyone know when/if Norwegian will update seat maps to better choose a seat based on the A380's configuration? The norwegian.com seat map still reflects the 787.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by forcemm
Does anyone know when/if Norwegian will update seat maps to better choose a seat based on the A380's configuration? The norwegian.com seat map still reflects the 787.
So far it is just a rumour that Norwegian might lease HiFly's A380 at some point. Little Internet browsing reveals that the first HiFly A380 customer was Thomas Cook Scandinavia for one off charter to replace a broken A321 on CPH-LCA route and the next customer for this plane looks to be Air Austral on CDG-RUN route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.