Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Icelandair EU261/2004 Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Icelandair EU261/2004 Question

I searched but did not find this answered elsewhere...trying to determine to what extent I am covered by EU261/2004 legislation for a recent itinerary on FI.

Bottom line: I arrived in USA 17h50m later than originally scheduled due to a cancelled HEL-KEF flight. Am I justified to seek the full 600€ compensation? Or, does the compensation not apply to the second leg (KEF-PHL) because it was between 2 non-EU countries? I read conflicting info about whether EU261/2004 applies ex-Iceland or not.

Long version: Sat 24JUN - booked to fly HEL-KEF-PHL (one continuous journey on same ticket). FI343/HEL-KEF was initially delayed 7h55m due to a late arrival of the inbound aircraft (new arrival in KEF at 2355). This delay resulted in a nightstop at KEF, and not wanting to spend the whole next day waiting for the 1700 departure to PHL, we were rerouted on the 1030 departure to IAD (my original plans involved taking a train from Philly to DC on Sunday night so this was the least inconvenient option - despite not being able to go home in Philly for one day).

I received an email at 1911 stating that FI343 was now cancelled due to a fuel leak, after being at the airport over 6 hours (and over 3.5 hours past our scheduled departure time).

I phoned FI in Iceland and was booked on FI353/25JUN departing HEL at 0845, connecting onto FI647 to IAD that was part of my first rebooking).

FI provided us with a hotel, transport to the hotel, and meal vouchers for lunch and dinner.

Other than being told there would be a bus back to the airport in the morning, no one had any info about when/where/how this was arranged, so I booked a taxi for my companion and another couple. I will seek separate reimbursement for that expense.

Overall it worked out despite wasting an entire day sitting in the Helsinki Airport. The fleet is obviously stretched too thin for the summer schedule based on the number of operational problems they experienced over the past few days (based on their website banner).
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:13 pm

600€ should be due, assuming of course it is not extraordinary circumstances etc. etc.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll send it off and hope for the best.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:47 pm

For the purposes of EU261/2004, Iceland is an EU country. The regulation applies to Iceland and Icelandic airlines in the exact same manner as it does to EU countries and EU-based airlines.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
OP, I was just wondering how long it took for FI to deal with your EU261 claim, if indeed they have?

Submitted online over a month ago and have heard nothing. Followed up a couple of times via their Facebook chat and last time was told response time might be 6 weeks in high season. Does that fit your experience?
Old May 7, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Just to confirm Icelandair is required to pay EU 261 compensation?

MCO-KEF flight was canceled due to mechanical on 7 May and the friends are getting to their destination 24 hours later.
Old May 7, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by apodo77
Just to confirm Icelandair is required to pay EU 261 compensation?

MCO-KEF flight was canceled due to mechanical on 7 May and the friends are getting to their destination 24 hours later.
See:

https://www.icetra.is/aviation/passengers/rights/
Old May 7, 2018, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes. Although Iceland is not a Member State, Iceland applies EC 261/2004. Other examples of non-Member States applying the Regulation are Switzerland and Norway.

Note that Iceland does not necessarily apply interpretations of the Regulation by the ECJ and thus what may clearly not be an extraordinary circumstance for an EU carrier or a departure from the EU, might be one on FI.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Often1
Yes. Although Iceland is not a Member State, Iceland applies EC 261/2004. Other examples of non-Member States applying the Regulation are Switzerland and Norway.

Note that Iceland does not necessarily apply interpretations of the Regulation by the ECJ and thus what may clearly not be an extraordinary circumstance for an EU carrier or a departure from the EU, might be one on FI.
Thanks. This was definitely 100% mechanical cancelation so not sure how they could claim extraordinary circumstances when that is what happened.

appreciate the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.