Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU Compensation on Icelandair Flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
EU Compensation on Icelandair Flight

My flight on Icelandair from BOS-KEF was detailed for over an hour due to the fuel truck delivering fuel late to the plane.

As a result, I will miss my 8am connection from KEF-CPH (on my same ticket).

I am traveling in business class.

The next from KEF to CPH on Icelandair is at 2:30pm, 6+ hours later than my originally scheduled arrival.

They're is a flight on SAS from KEF to CPH at 11:45, which is 3:45 later.

I don't know what the airline intends to do.

What comp am I entitled to under EU compensation if I am rerouted on my connection on either of these?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 2:56 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
As this is about an Icelandair flight, I've moved it to the Other European Airlines forum. Please continue to discuss this topic here.

stut
UK & Ireland
Old Mar 6, 2017, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by stut
As this is about an Icelandair flight, I've moved it to the Other European Airlines forum. Please continue to discuss this topic here.

stut
UK & Ireland
ok, but the answer would be the same for BA, any EU carrier ex-US to connecting city in Europe. (:2 "other Airlines" forum has the least traction, visitors, experiences, etc.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 3:39 am

Delays that occur outside of the airline control and are considered "extraordinary circumstances" doesn't entitle you to any compensation, I'm not sure whether or not a delay due to a late fuel truck is something controlled by the airline, you can always file a claim with them and see what they say, however all this can only be done after you reach your final destination.

If you are >3hrs and <4hrs delayed, you are potentially looking at 300€ compensation, if more than 4 hours than 600€
Old Mar 6, 2017, 5:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In the first instance, the question is whether the reason for the delay is a basis for compensation at all. I am not certain what the situation is at BOS, but it will be dependent on whether the fuel bowsers at BOS are FI subcontractors (in which case the delay is functionally FI's) or whether MassPort supplies the service airportwide and simple invoices carriers (in which case this is simply an airport function).

Compensation is measured by arrival time not departure. Thus, nothing can be determined until arrival at CPH. You may make up time enroute and the onward flight may be held.

Presuming that the former is the case, compensation should be determined at the final ticketed destination, e.g. CPH, and presuming that the departure delay matches the arrival delay, if you are rerouted on FI as I would expect, you will be due EUR 600 (4+ hour delay). If rerouted on BA, you would be due EUR 300 (3+ hour delay).
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
In the first instance, the question is whether the reason for the delay is a basis for compensation at all. I am not certain what the situation is at BOS, but it will be dependent on whether the fuel bowsers at BOS are FI subcontractors (in which case the delay is functionally FI's) or whether MassPort supplies the service airportwide and simple invoices carriers (in which case this is simply an airport function).

Compensation is measured by arrival time not departure. Thus, nothing can be determined until arrival at CPH. You may make up time enroute and the onward flight may be held.

Presuming that the former is the case, compensation should be determined at the final ticketed destination, e.g. CPH, and presuming that the departure delay matches the arrival delay, if you are rerouted on FI as I would expect, you will be due EUR 600 (4+ hour delay). If rerouted on BA, you would be due EUR 300 (3+ hour delay).
Thanks. As we were re-posted on FI's 6+ hour later afternoon KEF-CPH flight, I submitted the reimbursement request via Icelandair's claims website, seeking EUR600 for a 4+ hour delay to destination on a 6,020 KM itinerary. Not sure how long they will take to respond / process, but will advise.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nologic
Thanks. As we were re-posted on FI's 6+ hour later afternoon KEF-CPH flight, I submitted the reimbursement request via Icelandair's claims website, seeking EUR600 for a 4+ hour delay to destination on a 6,020 KM itinerary. Not sure how long they will take to respond / process, but will advise.
So, 16 days after I posted my EUR600 compensation claim request on the IcelandAir website, I was notified by email that it has been accepted and asked for a credit card...a day later, I was informed that $640 would be credited to my account...

The thing is...few, if any, other people on my inbound flight -- which misconnected with every intra-Europe flight on IcelandAir, causing a minimum 6+ hour delay -- were aware that this comp was avail...(I informed a few people that I was interacting with)...but most people had no clue to even request a claim.

If requested, IcelandAir would hand out a brochure explaining passengers' rights and a card directing you to their very efficient delayed compensation request web-form.

Last edited by nologic; Mar 23, 2017 at 7:39 am
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:10 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nologic
The thing is...no only on my flight was aware that this comp was avail...I informed a few people that I was interacting with...but most had no clue to even request a claim.
Mrs999 and I were booked for HEL-KEF-ORD last year. Delay out of HEL made us miss the connection, the last flight of the day; no way around an overnight in Reykjavik. The transfer desk were friendly and efficient. First they wanted to put us on the next day's FI flight, which would have got us to Chicago 24 hours late. After brief protestation from us, they agreed to put us on Delta in the morning to NYC and thence to ORD. Eventually arrived in the afternoon, something like 18 hours late.

Anyway, after the re-booking was complete and everything concerning our new arrangements was explained to us, taxi-, hotel- and meal-vouchers given, the transfer supervisor was all smiles and 'Sorry about that! But have a good trip!' (That's it.) Smile. (That's all.) Smile. (Go away now.) Smile. But I knew better. I said 'Aren't you supposed to also give us the details regarding a claim for compensation under EC 261/2004?' Her smile actually broadened at that point, possibly in surprise. She said 'Yes, of course' and gave us their brochure, which was right to hand -- but she wouldn't have given it without our asking.

I filed the claim when we got home. A week went by with no action, so I sent a followup e-mail. They replied straightaway, saying 'sorry for the delay; your claim has been sent to the refunds department'. Three days after that, 1200€ was in our account.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
The airline is liable for the errors of its suppliers (e.g. fuel truck provider). It's not an extraordinary circumstance.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn
The airline is liable for the errors of its suppliers (e.g. fuel truck provider). It's not an extraordinary circumstance.
And, 16 days later...they agreed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.