Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian to fly between UK, Ireland and U.S. NE Coast cities. from Summer 2017.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian to fly between UK, Ireland and U.S. NE Coast cities. from Summer 2017.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
This from the Wall Street Journal yesterday. Likely behind a paywall after the first read, so make sure you have time to read it.

Norwegian Air May Survive After All (But its stock is still pricing in hopes of a takeover that may not happen) -

https://www.wsj.com/articles/norwegi...all-1542025947
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
This from the Wall Street Journal yesterday. Likely behind a paywall after the first read, so make sure you have time to read it.

Norwegian Air May Survive After All (But its stock is still pricing in hopes of a takeover that may not happen) -

https://www.wsj.com/articles/norwegi...all-1542025947
can't access the link. Can you copy & paste here or send via a PM
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by southpac
can't access the link. Can you copy & paste here or send via a PM
It might pull up in incognito mode or by googling the title in a newspaper that uses the WSJ's stories.

Not much shocking here. The complete and sudden collapse in oil prices definitely increases the chances of Norwegian making it through the winter. The problem remains, however, that their transatlantic business model is fatally flawed. Other than abandoning it, and reverting to short haul, I don't know what they can do to survive.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:51 pm
Suspended

business model fatally flawed ? How ?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

business model fatally flawed ? How ?
This has been discussed many times in this forum. No airline has ever been successful by specializing in low fare transatlantic service. Most of the money made on transatlantic routes is made in premium cabins, and airlines that don't have this revenue fail and go out of business.

It is possible, of course, that this could change someday. Norwegian's terrible financial performance suggests that time has not yet come, and that the airline will, in all likelihood, eventually fail.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:25 pm
Suspended

please stop making your opinion sound like fact. The massive worldwide recession, will have a huge impact on airlines. Many won't survive. They are already dropping like flies in Europe. One of the big boys might fail next ?
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:46 pm
Suspended

please stop making your opinion sound like fact.
You should take you own advice.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GFrye
You should take you own advice.
maybe, but many here don't want to acknowledge that recession is here now & it will have major impacts on air travel

eg.

some business types, will not longer fly(business goes belly up) or travel budgets cut, so will look for cheaper fares/cheaper airlines
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Thank you for proving my point.

You think that accurate statements such as "No airline has ever been successful by specializing in low fare transatlantic service" are opinions, but you're convinced that "recession is here now" is a factual statement.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

please stop making your opinion sound like fact. The massive worldwide recession, will have a huge impact on airlines. Many won't survive. They are already dropping like flies in Europe. One of the big boys might fail next ?
There is an article in today's WSJ that suggests that the world economy -- other than the USA -- is cooling, but that most economists do not expect a global recession. Of course, you could be right and these economists wrong, but I would suggest that you not be so certain of your convictions. History indicates that the vast majority of "recession forecasts" are wrong.

Regardless, in the real world, we have a situation where an upstart and financially unsuccessful Norwegian is trying to establish a market niche against established financially successful airlines. This niche has been tried before and failed, and so far Norwegian's results mirror past results. So while I'm not so good at predicting recessions (nobody is), I know enough about the airline industry to suggest that Norwegian's future is very much in doubt. Recession or no recession. And I would suggest that this is a Captain Obvious statement, that you can choose to believe or not.
GFrye likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New worries this week about the ability of Norwegian to keep flying. A Norwegian newspaper reports that the airline will likely violate their loan covenants on January 1.

Oh, and they've probably lost more than $200 million on a fuel hedge this quarter.

My guess is this isn't quite the end of Norwegian, but that's a guess and not a certainty. I would NOT buy a ticket to travel on them for next year right now.

https://www.newsinenglish.no/2018/12/20/norwegian-air-lands-in-more-trouble/
GFrye likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:32 pm
Suspended

Sounds like you should buy any airline tickets for next December

Plenty of airlines inc big ones will go belly up in the massive depression of 2019-21. It's going to be the biggest bloodbath the world has even seen. many banks will fail so buying with a credit card might not save you.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:23 am
Suspended

southpac, your abstract comedy routine is getting old.

Last edited by GFrye; Dec 22, 2018 at 12:33 am
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:59 am
Suspended

Ignore recession/depression at your peril
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:58 am
Suspended

Again, take your own advice.
please stop making your opinion sound like fact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.