Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Air baggage rules - how serious are they?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian Air baggage rules - how serious are they?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2016, 2:55 pm

My wife and I will soon be flying BCN-LGW-USA. From what it sounds the carry on and back pack will be weighed together? Does anybody have any insight into this ex Spain?
Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 1:33 pm

Return Flight From Paris to Oslo to Oakland Not Perfect

So, the return flight was stressful as well. Weight not an issue in Paris. Everything was fine, carry-ons were good to go and the one checked bag went through without a problem. Great, I thought until we got to the next flight going from Oslo to Oakland. Apparently my carry-on was too big. Not too heavy, just too big. I was floored. I had already travelled without issue and put my carryon in the overhead bins with no problem for 3 legs of this vacation. Also, I measured my bag and it conformed to their website requirements. Now the agent at the gate says it won't fit and I have to pay to check it in. I said, "No way. I will repack it so it fits, and I don't appreciate the way you constantly change the rules." So, I took out my heavy coat and put it on; put some other stuff into my purse; then went back to the same guy. He didn't recognize me in my big coat and waved me along without saying a word about my carry-on. What a jerk. Just know that you never know what's going to happen, so be prepared to make adjustments if you did over-pack.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:50 pm
cjt

Has anyone had any more recent experiences? I have EDI-PVD-EDI coming up soon, planning to get by with hand-baggage only....I've never noticed scales at EDI gates and I would expect the same for PVD.

Was a corker of a deal at £202rt, who knows how they're making money on £63 one-ways from east coast US to UK
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:13 pm

If you know what the rules are stick within them and you will be fine. I have JFK - OSL and SWF - EDI coming up and it is not difficult to be within the 10kg restriction.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cjt
Has anyone had any more recent experiences? I have EDI-PVD-EDI coming up soon, planning to get by with hand-baggage only....I've never noticed scales at EDI gates and I would expect the same for PVD.

Was a corker of a deal at £202rt, who knows how they're making money on £63 one-ways from east coast US to UK
Flew DY out of PVD earlier this week, they were firm on the 10kg for both the carry-on bag AND the personal item, combined.

The family in front of us lost their minds when told they would have to pay extra as they had stuffed their bags to the gills - we felt really bad for the check-in agent, but he said he gets that response pretty regularly with these new flights and inexperienced travelers.

The entire experience was very smooth, except for the fact that they kept the cabin lights on for 80% of the flight - I hadn't experienced that on a overnight TATL.

I recommend stopping on Federal Hill prior to your flight for some food, instead of relying on airport food!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:11 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Sallycat

The entire experience was very smooth, except for the fact that they kept the cabin lights on for 80% of the flight - I hadn't experienced that on a overnight TATL.
As much as I don't like using them, there's a reason I ALWAYS carry eyeshades when I travel.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by EmailKid
As much as I don't like using them, there's a reason I ALWAYS carry eyeshades when I travel.
I had thrown some freebie eyeshades in my bag from my last B6 redeye but they were useless! I will be better prepared next time, for sure.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any recent experiences intra-Europe? (Specifically ex-ARN?)
Will have rollaboard and backpack, the roller will almost definitely be over 10Kg (and possibly over the size limit -- width -- depending on which one I take). But I imagine I should be able to bypass the check-in counters.
I can't even figure out what the checked baggage charges will be, either in advance or at the gate. When I pull up the rez online it says:
"One or more luggage selection is deactived. This is because preordering is closed on flight or that maximum number of luggage has been reached for a passenger."

Work will pay, but I'd rather not stick them with some extortionate bill at the counter.
Thx!
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:55 am

Angry lenient no more

I guess this thread is very old because now Norwegian international flight carry on restrictions are insanely strict! They never allow you to actually check in online and when you get there they are weighing everyone's carry on and if its even .5k over the very low 10k total - and this means your carry on plus your purse or 1 item together - they charge an absurd 100$ to check a fairly small bag! I think if the airline was actually budget this would be okay, but its not budget prices anymore, I paid 700$ for my Boston to NY flight without any food or a seat. I don't understand how airlines can get away with this? It seems like a money making scheme to me. Plus the lines to check in were awful, chaotic and slow. I haven't experienced this with other airlines. I will never fly Norwegian again! It was deeply upsetting.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:58 am

They did not let me off with .5 over the limit. They are insanely strict and charge 100$ for the bag.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:02 pm

Indeed at EWR they appeared to weight everything that looked like it might be over 10 Kg combined and in that case you needed to obtain a "carry-on" sticker affixed to your luggage to carry them with you. However it seems that while they strictly enforced the weight limit to get the sticker, they were waiving the fee for bags that were just above the limit and that had to be checked-in. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.