Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

"Special screening" in Reykjavik, being held in a separate room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Special screening" in Reykjavik, being held in a separate room

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Sorry for your experience.

From my 2 KEF experiences, I would chalk this up to: 1.) the extra screening TSA requirement; 2.) the physical limitations of KEF; and 3.) Icelandic peculiarity.

KEF was built--like most airports--to international transit specifications. Most countries have a dedicated transit area so they can hold connecting passengers. The US requirement for extra screening. LHR, AMS, FRA, HKG, even YVR have the ability to do an extra check before boarding commences: they can require all passengers go into the "holding pen" (as it were). From what I recall KEF isn't set up that way.

The pecular bit though is the up-down-up thing after security: You start up, you're forced down, then you go back up to the gates. And then there's no organized call to board: if you suss this out in advance you know to be near the podium for the crush. Totally bizarre.

But Iceland's awesome: worth the wackiness of KEF.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 1:23 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by fokker50
* At the same time Iceland is only place on earth where I have taken domestic flight without ANY security or ID-check (2008)
I am not sure if this is still the case (probably not), but a few years back Air New Zealand domestic flights ex CHC operated with ATR and Beechcraft aircraft were not subject to any security or ID check. B737 flights departing from the other gates upstairs were subject to these checks...
Old Nov 1, 2011, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
I am not sure if this is still the case (probably not), but a few years back Air New Zealand domestic flights ex CHC operated with ATR and Beechcraft aircraft were not subject to any security or ID check. B737 flights departing from the other gates upstairs were subject to these checks...
Yes, that is still the case. As far as I'm aware, security screening does not have to be conducted on regional flights at any New Zealand airport due to the low number of passengers on each plane. Generally, these regional flights fly on ATR and Beechcraft aircrafts to small towns, but Air New Zealand occasionally uses them for metropolitan cities as well.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 5:39 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
A few scheduled commuter flights in the US are conducted by non "Part 121" carriers, which aren't subject to TSA security. They use very small aircraft, and are treated like private flights.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:01 am

Boing Boing posted a lengthy article yesterday about one person's experience with secondary screening at Reykjavík: http://boingboing.net/2011/10/31/air...on-center.html
Old Nov 3, 2011, 5:10 am
sgm

Programs: BA Gold
Wow: I won't be flying to the US via KEF again!

I understand secondary screening, but just don't get the holding-cell.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 5:54 pm

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by gortuk
Boing Boing posted a lengthy article yesterday about one person's experience with secondary screening at Reykjavík: http://boingboing.net/2011/10/31/air...on-center.html
Not just "one person", but one of the freedom fighters from Wikileaks (and also involved in the Tor project).
Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by gortuk
He doesn't know why?
Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by sgm
Wow: I won't be flying to the US via KEF again!

I understand secondary screening, but just don't get the holding-cell.
Do you work for wikileaks? involved in the Tor project?
If so you shouldn't fly anywhere

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.