Search

Alamo LAX: SUVs, Conertibles, Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2008, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold
Alamo LAX: SUVs, Conertibles, Upgrades?

Hi Guys,

We're planning a Trip to LAX (and on to Vegas etc.) in Oct and are going to get two cars for 4 adults, 1 Convertible... (for fun) and an SUV for carrying our Luggage and being able to comfortably drive together if we want to.

Alamo is first choice, as I am 23 (they got All Incl / Uage packages from Europe) so I wonder if someone could tell:

- What convertibles are normally available?
Being European, we certainly want american cars on our trip, and of course something larger than a New Beetle or PT Cruiser. If those would be the only ones available:

- Would it be a problem to change car category?

- What SUVs are normally available and how much are the upgrade fees?

I am considering booking an Equinox (Mid-Size?) and upgrade (paid for), as it might be cheaper than booking a bigger SUV up front.
I would love ending up with a Luxury SUV (Navigator, Escalade etc) or am alternatively thinking about going "Standard SUV" up front to hope on a TrailBlazer or something.

- Any ideas on upgrade prices?
If I was going from Equinox to Trailblazer, or Trailblazer to Escalade or something?

Would I always get an upgrade if I asked for it (and am willing to pay), or is there a chance that if I booked an Equinox, that I would have to take it?

Thanks
raph
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:55 am

Here is my experience with LAX and convertibles. In March we reserved a convertible at Alamo LAX. On the Alamo website, it claims to be Crysler Sebring (or similar). However, on arrival there was one convertible available on the lot, which happened to be a periwinkle blue VW Beetle. When asked I asked if there were any Sebrings available, they tried to tell me that it was in a higher class and that the only "convertibles" were the VW Beetles and PT Cruisers (Very little similarity to the Sebring IMO), which I absolutely refused. I argued, but no Sebrings were available. National is on the 2nd floor of the same building, and they stated they did not have any available either, although I could see them in their lot. They did allow me to take an Avenger (with 2 miles on it!) for the day and return the next day, at which time they scrounged up the last Sebring for me.

I have to admit this was on a very busy Saturday at Alamo.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for that... ^

Will try the same then if necessary... Coming in on a saturday as well

Regarding the SUV, I booked 'Standard' now which should be sufficient...

Does anybody know whether Alamo got Mustangs (Conv) at all? Or are those only with Hertz and other Rental car companys (don't believe i've seen Ford at Alamo at all yet)
Old Aug 11, 2008, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
While rental car companies are not as closely tied with manufacturers like they used to be, I don't believe you will find any Ford with Alamo, but you might find some Japanese models that you might like (no Mustang at Alamo though).

Rasheed
Old Oct 24, 2008, 2:03 pm

Programs: M&M
Can I choose the car with Alamo in LAX?

Oliver
Old Oct 25, 2008, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Yes you can. Alamo LAX got a choiceline, so you'll go out and pick whatever you want (within your booked category).

If anyone is interested, I just returned from my trip and we picked a Pontiac G6 Convertible (there were 2 or 3 G6s and 1 or 2 Sebrings in the Convertible line) and a GMC Envoy as the Standard SUV. Others were mostly Chevy Trailblazers, but the GMC was better equipped (Leather, Sunroof, XM, Heated Seats, 4x4 etc.)

Schönen Gruß!
Old Oct 25, 2008, 2:14 am

Programs: M&M
Danke / Thanks ...

Oh, one more question: what kind of "Compact/Midsize SUV" does Alamo usually have?

Oliver
Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by raph
Yes you can. Alamo LAX got a choiceline, so you'll go out and pick whatever you want (within your booked category).

If anyone is interested, I just returned from my trip and we picked a Pontiac G6 Convertible (there were 2 or 3 G6s and 1 or 2 Sebrings in the Convertible line) and a GMC Envoy as the Standard SUV. Others were mostly Chevy Trailblazers, but the GMC was better equipped (Leather, Sunroof, XM, Heated Seats, 4x4 etc.)

Schönen Gruß!
Nice work! The G6's weren't available when I was there, but I definitely would've been happy with that. Sounds like it worked out well for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.