Search

Lotus Elise at Enterprise

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2006, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Lotus Elise at Enterprise

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...offers_el.html

I may be swithing for a while...

If Hertz can't satisfy your need for speed with a Mustang GT-H, try your luck at Enterprise. Lotus announced plans today to distribute 50 Elise roadsters to select Enterprise Rent-A-Car locations in Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco and south Florida. The Elise is a far cry from Enterprise's mainstream fare, which includes such eminent nameplates as the Dodge Neon, Pontiac G6 and – if you spring for the Luxury group – Lincoln Town Car.

There's no word yet on how much it will cost to rent an Elise, but we think it will be substantially more than the $65 or so Enterprise charges to rent a Town Car for a day at Miami International Airport. An early report says Hertz charges $129 per day to rent a Mustang GT-H in San Francisco.

It takes a certain kind of vacationer to appreciate the two-seat Elise's bone-jarring ride and racetrack handling – not to mention justify the rental to the wife and kids. But there’s an easy fix for that: Plop down another $65, and they can follow behind in the Town Car.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 2:59 pm

Programs: Hertz #1 Club President's Circle; National Executive Elite; Marriott Titanium; AA Executive Plat
dangit I wont be able to take my golf clubs with me
Old Oct 15, 2006, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Absolutely fantastic car.

After driving it you'll realise why we all think american cars handle like boats...

EDIT: $199 a day, dang thats a heck of a lot!!!
Old Oct 15, 2006, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
rynbmw, you won't be able to take golf balls with you. The Elise makes the Boxster look like an SUV. Then again, it ain't exactly a "get from A to B" kind of car, more like a "get from A to B, then think of some reason to head back to A. ^
Old Oct 15, 2006, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Press release:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/061012/20061012005718.html?.v=1

I love the Elise, so I'll definitely be in line. ^ Wonder how long it'll take for the manual transmissions to start developing problems though...
Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:54 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by prashok
Wonder how long it'll take for the manual transmissions to start developing problems though...

not long, as the saying is in england

Lots
Of
Trouble
Usually
Serious....
Old Oct 17, 2006, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by aceman

Lots
Of
Trouble
Usually
Serious....
Or "If it's not leaking, it's empty!"

I was thinking more along the lines of renters who are unfamiliar with manuals causing havoc to the clutch and so on. Surely that's why most rental companies don't carry manual-equipped cars...
Old Oct 25, 2006, 4:53 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Absolutely fantastic car.

After driving it you'll realise why we all think american cars handle like boats...

EDIT: $199 a day, dang thats a heck of a lot!!!
In LA it is possible to rent almost every specialty car (from the low end like the Lotus and Porsches, to mid range Ferraris to high-end Bentleys, etc.). $199/day is a bargain, most of these specialty cars are $500/day and up (and $1/mile, often with only 50 miles/day free). The Bentley goes for $2000/day, btw. Of course in LA there is no place to really open it up (though I've broken 100 within the city limits in past years).

My neighour owns an Elise, and it does seem to be the best Lotus ever made. And it hasn't broken down yet (a year old). But I think it has also never seen 5th gear.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 5:48 pm

Lots
Of
Trouble
Usually
Serious....
Well... perhaps gremlins in the electrics after a time, but the mechanicals are sound. The engine and transmission are both proven units sourced from Toyota. This was done primarily as an inexpensive fast-track to a federalized(EPA/DOT) and approved powerplant for the US market.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 3:04 pm

Programs: UPS - Think Brown
Whatever happened to this?
Old Apr 1, 2007, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG, National Exec
Originally Posted by brownery
Whatever happened to this?
Enterprise is renting them, I had one for a couple days while my vehicle was in the shop...I got it at the "insurance" rate of $129.99/day. I think the car is a piece of crap, very small and not useful at all in Los Angeles...I feared for my life on the 405 with the legions of idiots and soccer moms driving land tank SUV's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.