Wiki Posts
Search

Enterprise Free Gas Story- MCO

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Enterprise Free Gas Story- MCO

My friend tells me he just got back from Orlando. Reserved a compact car for roughly $200 a week in Orlando thru Enterprise.

When he arrives, the agent tries to upsell him. No surprise there. Only $5 more for a full size, versus the $20 a day they normally charge. He declines.

They start walking through the lot to his compact. The agent keeps saying "What about upgrading to this one or that one."

"No thanks" my friend says.

Getting nearer the back of the lot, my friend realizes there are no compacts. The guy offers to upgrade him to a minivan for free. My friend says a minivan uses too much fuel, he's fine with the compact.

In the end, the agent tells him he'll mark the tank on the minivan as empty, just so my friend will take it. The tank was full.

My friend drives the minivan and has the low fuel light come on on the drive back to the airport.

So many stories about the car rental companies trying to come out ahead.

Thought I'd post one of the customer coming out ahead.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:43 am

How odd. It sounded like they had cars, just not compacts. They must have had a glut of minivans though. Good for him to come out ahead.

To me however it almost seems their intentionally keeping the mid-full size cars back in an attempt to get any customer with a compact/economy reservation to pay for an upgrade.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
This is not an uncommon scenario, actually. It seems like I'm comped a tank (or partial tank) of gas once or twice a year at Enterprise, and it's always because of the forced upgrade. Depending on how many miles you put on the vehicle, you may still actually be paying more for gas than if you had gotten the size of vehicle you reserved. (But if you can use the extra space, then it's a win-win).

And yes, the agent would have loved if it the person had willingly agreed to the upgrade. But the real reason (I think) that economy cars are scarce are because walk-up customers will frequently ask for the cheapest thing on the lot. And if there are no economy cars, then they'll *have* to pay for the upgrade, like it or not. Another reason to always make a reservation in advance.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:03 pm

I once got a forced upgrade from a CCAR to an ISUV on National. I didn't want the SUV, and wanted the compact car for the gas mileage. They comped me a tank of gas, and I was able to exchange the SUV for a compact at another airport. So not only did I get a fuel efficient car, I also got a free tank of gas. I made sure it was running on fumes when I returned it.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by nd2010
I once got a forced upgrade from a CCAR to an ISUV on National. I didn't want the SUV, and wanted the compact car for the gas mileage. They comped me a tank of gas, and I was able to exchange the SUV for a compact at another airport. So not only did I get a fuel efficient car, I also got a free tank of gas. I made sure it was running on fumes when I returned it.
Nicely played.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.