Wiki Posts
Search

Thrifty or Alamo at MIA (Miami Airport)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Thrifty or Alamo at MIA (Miami Airport)

Hello guys,

We are a couple of Brazilians and we will travel to Florida next October, more precisely to Miami. This way, I would like to ask you if someone has some previous experience with Alamo or Thrifity at MIA Airport, because, I found better prices with them (Thrifity is a little cheaper), but I have read not so good reviews from this two companies in this location (issues with gas, returning, extra fees...).
So, which of the two would you choose and why?
Thanks
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:02 pm

I've never rented from the Miami location, but I do work for Thrifty, so might as well give you a few tips (in my own opinion, not on behalf of them)

The fees after the fact are 99% of the time due to the toll roads. There are a ton down there. You have to purchase something called PlatePass or stay off the toll roads. If you don't you will be billed 15 dollars *For every single toll*

Any car you rent, do a pre inspection and if you notice any damage, ask someone to sign a pre inspection form. If they don't have one, then call in and have it noted on your account.

You must return the car full of gas. You must present a receipt from the gas station within 10 miles of the rental car location.

If you keep the above in mind, you will have no problems with any of the car rental companies. Have fun!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Hi,
I think we will chose the Thrifity (and check everything before accept the car to avoid any bad surprise)...
I had no idea about this detail to return the car with the tank filled - 10 miles distance to the gas station (usually where the prices are higher). And about the tolls, our initial idea is to get the toll pass, but try to avoid them while traveling in that area.

Thank you for your support.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 9:45 am

If you have a camera phone, do a pre inspection, and making note of any scratches, dings, or anything that is wrong with the car and then note before you leave. Also check with your credit cards to see if they will cover car rental damage and then use the ones that do. That way you don't have to pay for their expensive insurance. Being that you are from another country, there is a chance they might sneak it onto the contract, so read the typed/printed out portions of the contract. If they do, cross it off and tell them to reprint it. Not saying they will but I have had experienced it with another company at a different airport. Being that toll roads are rampited in Florida, the platepass technology would actually be a good thing since I believe a lot of the toll roads are unmanned. Have a great trip and hope you enjoy florida.

~JS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.