Wiki Posts
Search

Alamo Rental - HNL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
Alamo Rental - HNL

I'll be renting a car from Alamo @ HNL from Jan. 2 - Jan. 12. My reservation says a 'Mustang Convertible or similar', however I'm thinking it'll probably be a Sebring? Does anyone have any idea of what their fleet looks like at HNL? Also, I've never rented from Alamo before...anything to be aware of in comparison to AVIS?

I've only rented from AVIS at HNL, as I normally only rent from them on travel. My status generally gets me the nicest car available, with the exception of their prestige line.

I know some of you may be thinking that if I'm happy with AVIS, why rent from Alamo on this trip? The reason is the cost. My original booking (3 months back) was through AVIS, but the only vehicle available was an intermediate SUV @ $1233 for the 10 days. Alamo is able to offer a convertible for $470. It's almost a no-brainer there.

Anyway, any insight would be appreciated. I'd definitely prefer the Mustang over the Sebring.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:18 pm

how'd you go, what vehicle did you end up with?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
I forgot all about this thread. My flight was significantly delayed from LAX to HNL. I arrived at the Alamo rental facility about 5 hours after my scheduled pickup. There were several other customers in the Alamo building, who presumably were on delayed flights and being down right rude to the agents. From arguing over the shuttle bus taking too long to having to walk in the rain to their car...you name it.

Upon arrival, they informed me that they didn't have any convertibles available. I was nice and asked what they had available. The agent looked through her system and made a few calls. She then said they may have some subcompacts available, like a Fiat 500, but those are going quick and likely to be sold out within a few minutes. By the time I'd get to the lot and select a car, I may only be able to get a Scion iQ, which wouldn't work considering our luggage. The agent then asked if I could wait about 20 minutes for a convertible, saying she could order one. I said sure, and inquired about the details of the vehicle. She smiled and said, you've been the best customer all day, it'll be much better than your Mustang.

20 minutes passed and the agent said, the car is on the way...It arrived about 10 minutes later. It was a black Mercedes SLK250 convertible. Unbelievable! And on top of it, she applied a small discount which brought my rental down to $424 out the door. Awesome deal and I may rent from Alamo again on personal travel. The entire process was great!

Also, as a side note, the Mercedes didn't appear to be from the Alamo fleet. The keys said Hertz and all the transactions (pickup/return) were typed in manually.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:32 pm

nice, thanks for the update.

i ended up with a hertz rental for the camaro ss convertible, not as refined as the merc but certainly the SS sounds better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.