Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rental Insurance: Myth or Fact?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2012, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Question Rental Insurance: Myth or Fact?

O.K., I've done many searches and have seen a few threads discussing rental insurance, but I've yet to find a thread describing what rental insurance do I really need to have to gain full or practically full coverage. My main concern being the high dollar scenarios.

I'm tired of giving the rental agency representative that stupid dear in the headlights look when they ask me if I'd like to purchase the supplemental car insurance.

I used to work for a large company, as such it wasn't an issue, now I'm with a smaller company that doesn't provide the same travel coverage. Please advise.

Myths or Facts?

Master Card or visa signature credit card for insurance is all you really need. (M or F)

CC's don't immediately take care of insurance claims which can put the customer in a lerch leaving them to pay large sums of money. Say 10k+ What happens if you can't pay in the interim, how long can these unpaid balances go for?(M or F)

CC plans simply don't provide enough coverage. (M or F)

In the case of a car accident, cancel the cc to avoid automatic charges by the rental company. (M or F)

Don't bother canceling the card, they can still charge you because the number was valid at the time of the contract. Why can they can even to this? (M or F)

CC rental insurance isn't sufficient, it only covers a few scenarios and not enough. (M or F)

Rental companies are suckering you in to buy rental car insurance,not enough value add, you don't need any of it, rely on the CC and your own car insurance policy. (M or F)

It's better to buy the rental insurance to avoid an impact on your personal car insurance (M or F)

Any input on the subject would be greatly appreciated, I'm happy to see references to existing threads that answer these questions.

Regards,

Mike
Old Feb 19, 2012, 4:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
OP has cross-posted in the Avis Forum and has requested that be left open, this one closed. So done. /JDiver, Senior Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.