Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Malaysia Airlines: change of route?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Malaysia Airlines: change of route?

I made a new topic, because I couldn't find anything where to ask this in.. But does anybody know is it possible to reroute your flight plan on Malaysia Airlines? We've booked Helsinki - Bangkok and return, via Amsterdam and Kuala Lumpur, and I know that if we skip the last leg (KL-BKK), that cancel's the whole return flight. But is it possible if we pay fees, get the tickets changed etc.? I tried asking the travel agency (Supersaver) and they can't change anything on flight route on any airline, only flight dates. I tried searching MA website, but it advises to log on through manage my booking, and it cant find our booking with the booking code and last name. Does anybody have an answer to this? There was nothing on the flight tickets about changes. I haven't called MA customer service yet, because I think that calling from here would be more expensive than a new ticket..
Our destination is Singapore and Malesia(maybe a bit of Thailand also), so it's not the end of world if it's not possible, then we book one way from BKK to Singapore. It just would be a little more convenient, it would save us a full day also. So thanks alot in advance for any info!
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:23 pm

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
AFAIK, you cannot skip the KL-BKK sector. You would risk cancelling your return flight! Plus, flying directing to KL would cost a lot more than BKK (because it's a direct flight, rather than one with a stopover, and that's how airline pricing works).

I'm not sure that they would agree to re-price, but I've tried to change a non-fullfare economy before on the airport, and MH refused to - even when I said I was willing to pay fees. YMMV. Perhaps just buying a ticket on one of the dozen or so BKK-SIN flights, which would be quite cheap, would be a wise decision...
Old Nov 6, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
My experience with MH is the same as bluegreentravel they are usually very strict on changing tickers unless you have booking a flexi ticket. With respect to going to flying to Singapore it will porbably be cheaper just to book a low cost carrier (bear in mind your luggage though!) rather than changing tickets.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:45 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
You cannot re-route on MH. It is annoying, and the ticket to Bangkok is substantially cheaper than to KL, so even if you were allowed to change the ticket, you'll probably end up paying a lot.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by JMSIM
I made a new topic, because I couldn't find anything where to ask this in.. But does anybody know is it possible to reroute your flight plan on Malaysia Airlines? We've booked Helsinki - Bangkok and return, via Amsterdam and Kuala Lumpur, and I know that if we skip the last leg (KL-BKK), that cancel's the whole return flight. But is it possible if we pay fees, get the tickets changed etc.? I tried asking the travel agency (Supersaver) and they can't change anything on flight route on any airline, only flight dates. I tried searching MA website, but it advises to log on through manage my booking, and it cant find our booking with the booking code and last name. Does anybody have an answer to this? There was nothing on the flight tickets about changes. I haven't called MA customer service yet, because I think that calling from here would be more expensive than a new ticket..
Our destination is Singapore and Malesia(maybe a bit of Thailand also), so it's not the end of world if it's not possible, then we book one way from BKK to Singapore. It just would be a little more convenient, it would save us a full day also. So thanks alot in advance for any info!
From what I'm reading.. is that the trip has not begun. So therefore you can't just change any part of your ticket. Your TA needs to cancel your existing ticket and then issue you a new ticket based on your new routing, less the cancellation fees. It is not based on change fees because you cannot change a ticket that travel has not begun.

MH (Malaysia Airlines) will not touch a booking made through a travel agent before travel.

Can you tell me when your travel is supposed to be? And what was fare you paid? I can try to find the fare rules for you if I can.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
From what I'm reading.. is that the trip has not begun. So therefore you can't just change any part of your ticket. Your TA needs to cancel your existing ticket and then issue you a new ticket based on your new routing, less the cancellation fees. It is not based on change fees because you cannot change a ticket that travel has not begun.

MH (Malaysia Airlines) will not touch a booking made through a travel agent before travel.

Can you tell me when your travel is supposed to be? And what was fare you paid? I can try to find the fare rules for you if I can.
No, the trip hasn't begun yet. It starts in about 5 weeks. Flight starts on 14.12.2013 and return flight 11.1.2014. We paid 738 euros per ticket for those. We bought them through Supersaver (a finnish agency).
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, the trip hasn't begun yet. It starts in about 5 weeks. Flight starts on 14.12.2013 and return flight 11.1.2014. We paid 738 euros per ticket for those. We bought them through Supersaver (a finnish agency).
Your have a EUR 200 change or cancellation fee.

As you have not begun travel, your ticket can only be cancelled and then reissued - based on what is booking class is currently available. Which means you lose the cheap seat (probably "S" class and have to rebook again, probably now "H" class - just using the same dates now, your fare is literally doubled to over EUR 1307, before the EUR 200 fee ! If you want to do just to KUL and back from BKK, your fare is EUR 300 more. So all in all, you're looking at almost EUR 1700 if you are to book your ticket now !

So my advice... stick with what you have. And just buy your Jetstar ticket to Singapore...
A note of interest.. AY/MH will not interline to Jetstar. You need to arrive to BKK, collect your baggage, and then recheck in for your Jetstar flight.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Nov 7, 2013 at 2:57 pm
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Your have a EUR 200 change or cancellation fee.

As you have not begun travel, your ticket can only be cancelled and then reissued - based on what is booking class is currently available. Which means you lose the cheap seat (probably "S" class and have to rebook again, probably now "H" class - just using the same dates now, your fare is literally doubled to over EUR 1307, before the EUR 200 fee ! If you want to do just to KUL and back from BKK, your fare is EUR 300 more. So all in all, you're looking at almost EUR 1700 if you are to book your ticket now !

So my advice... stick with what you have. And just buy your Jetstar ticket to Singapore...
A note of interest.. AY/MH will not interline to Jetstar. You need to arrive to BKK, collect your baggage, and then recheck in for your Jetstar flight.
Thanks a lot for going to the trouble of finding that out! Did just that, bought a ticket from Jetstar to Singapore. We're arriving in Bangkok on 15th, and the flight to Singapore is a morning flight on 16th. So will pick up our bags naturally.
It just sounds so silly that if we'd want to change our flight to only KL, we'd have to pay double. Considering that if it were possible to change it, MA could sell our KL-BKK tickets again. So they'd make a good profit from our change.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
It just sounds so silly that if we'd want to change our flight to only KL, we'd have to pay double. Considering that if it were possible to change it, MA could sell our KL-BKK tickets again. So they'd make a good profit from our change.
Yes it's crazy, but that's the way airline revenue management works! Without the KUL-BKK leg, it would be one less layover, and airlines often charge a hefty premium more direct/convenient flights... And, KUL and BKK are different markets with different pricing strategies. Plus, rebooking now would mean that the lower booking classes would have been sold out - so you have to book into a new (more expensive) fare bucket with different conditions/flexibility, etc.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks a lot for going to the trouble of finding that out! Did just that, bought a ticket from Jetstar to Singapore. We're arriving in Bangkok on 15th, and the flight to Singapore is a morning flight on 16th. So will pick up our bags naturally.
It has nothing to do with KUL being more expensive than BKK all the time. It just so happens that it is between HEL and BKK because AY is a competitor (even though they're also OW) and they fly direct between the two cities. So MH would prefer the revenue go to them. Yes even though AY is flying you between HEL and AMS/FRA/CDG to connect to the MH flight.

In many other places, MH's fares to KUL is the same as it is to BKK, and SIN.

It also has nothing to do with it being "silly" to change the flight to KL and that MH can make a good profit for selling your seats. If the same low fare is available, a simple change to KUL or SIN would be just the cancellation fee. However that booking class is not and therefore you need to pay the higher fare.

Your TA sold you that fare because it was cheaper to fly to BKK than it was to KUL and you took it knowing that you cannot just drop off at KUL (maybe you didn't, but your TA should have told you that).

But anyway, all ends well as you're booked on Jetstar between BKK and SIN now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.