Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

SFO/LAX to TPE direct flights? only EVA and China Airlines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO/LAX to TPE direct flights? only EVA and China Airlines?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:01 pm

Programs: NON ELITE
I would avoid UA at all cost.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by aurigakb
Wow... just some random report of a less than ideal flight, and suddenly, an airline that is generally known for good service is now off limits.
I agree. I have generally had good to excellent service on MH on LAX-TPE-KUL and other sectors in Y. I find most MH crew to be friendly, down-to-earth, accommodating and easy to engage in conversation and joke around with. Their web site and ground service is not their strong point and I admit they do have some bad apples, but I really think overall their cabin crew really is their saving grace and is one of the world's best.

I think BR is OK, but it seems their crew is more serious and efficient and do not really show their personalities, perhaps due to the language barrier. Not sure if IFE is of any concern to the OP, but MH has way better AVOD with many, many more choices than BR.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lin821
True, UA dropped (again) non-stop SFO-TPE last year but OP was asking about direct flights.

Non-stop and direct flights are not the same animal. That I learned from FT.

UA's direct flights SFO-TPE are still in business. I just flew it in May.
I knew you had setup that trap for someone to fall into
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m3m3m3
thanks to everyone who replied!

it looks like I should avoid malaysia air!
It almost sounded like you were trying to avoid a Taiwanese carrier? Both EVA and China, while not on the level of Cathay or Singapore, are good airlines. China Airlines safety record is questionable.

I think you can credit China miles to NW/DL. EVA to CO is tougher now, I believe, unless you are on a higher fare class.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by aurigakb
Wow... just some random report of a less than ideal flight, and suddenly, an airline that is generally known for good service is now off limits.
Yeah, while it sounds unreasonable to rule out an 5-star skytrax airline by one unpleasant flight, people seem to trust a latest TR rather than the stars on a ranking(including me). I was attracted by the 5 stars of MH also, so I gave it a try. It turned out to be way below my expectation.

As a first time MH flyer, I do think a 5-star airline should provide consistent service, so everyone who try them for their name can experience it. I was matching MH to SQ before the flight, but MH gave me a big slap on the face.

Gaining new customers is about exceeding the expectation and a good first impression. That's why I'm a elite of an airline which is not too special but a wonderful first flight.

Last edited by 83914673; Sep 3, 2009 at 9:29 am
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by username
Originally Posted by lin821
True, UA dropped (again) non-stop SFO-TPE last year but OP was asking about direct flights.

Non-stop and direct flights are not the same animal. That I learned from FT.

UA's direct flights SFO-TPE are still in business. I just flew it in May.
I don't understand what "trap" I had set up.

First of all, I clearly stated non-stop and direct flights are different.

OP asked a simple question whether there's other direct flight between SFO/LAX and TPE, besides EVA and China Airline. There is. So I gave the answer. What's wrong with a simple answer?

Others volunteer and provided further comments on the services aspects of those airlines. It may be good pointers for OP to choose which airline to fly based on the feedback. But OP didn't request it in the original post.

Originally Posted by m3m3m3
Is this correct? Is there any other airline that flies direct? TIA!
Old Sep 4, 2009, 3:28 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by username
Not really, I know what he was trying to loop me in to but I also "think" I know that the OP is referring to non stop flight. I specifically put "no SFO-TPE non-stop since last September" on my post instead of just replying him saying that there isn't a SFO-TPE to clear confusions.

In all honesty, I don't think the OP would really bother asking that question because you can get to TPE with 1-stop by using a bunch of carriers whether it's a direct or non direct flight (which does not even matter).
Old Sep 4, 2009, 3:56 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Not really, I know what he was trying to loop me in to but I also "think" I know that the OP is referring to non stop flight. I specifically put "no SFO-TPE non-stop since last September" on my post instead of just replying him saying that there isn't a SFO-TPE to clear confusions.

In all honesty, I don't think the OP would really bother asking that question because you can get to TPE with 1-stop by using a bunch of carriers whether it's a direct or non direct flight (which does not even matter).
That's the way I read the OP's question.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Thumbs up super fare

Originally Posted by stefan.aerts
EVA have some really cheap fares if you sign up for their FF programme and then log and search for fares

I just paid $706. total for SFO-SGN-SFO in Oct/Nov - such a deal (very glad I joined Evergreen Club) - my first EVA experience

I'm just wondering how EVA will compare to the excellent economy service onboard with Asiana (current favorite)???

Last edited by Daawgon; Sep 11, 2009 at 11:36 am
Old Sep 11, 2009, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Asiana beats it in almost every way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.