Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Terrible experience with Malaysia Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2009, 1:02 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Although not sure how profitable it is, I believe there are several other Asian airlines competing in the JFK/EWR market, such as KE, CI, and BR. Hopefully they do okay to keep the competition there.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK Eurobonus Silver, DL, AA, AY, US
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
You could saved all the troubles of ringing every MH office around (which you should have just stuck with Sweden though) and checked on their website which clearly states that baggage allowance on all sectors to/from the americas is :

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uplo...nformation.pdf
As said, the reason I called them in the first place was because the information on the e-ticket receipt was contradictory to what they said on their website. I'm aware that more or less every airline in the world has their baggage allowance on their website.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK Eurobonus Silver, DL, AA, AY, US
To my great surprise this time MH actually answered and it looks like they even actually read my message, even though it took a little over a week.

I got a nice and apologetic answer where they recognized that the service was not up to the MH standard and offered me 3000 Enrich miles as a compensation. Well, that's hardly a huge amount and completely useless for me, as I still think I will avoid MH in the future, and certainly won't be joining their FF program anytime soon, but I appreciate the gesture.

At least I will now consider MH as an alternative again if the price is good, even though I'll prefer flying with someone else.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 4:20 pm

Angry Terrible experience with Malaysia Airlines

Dear mkgrip,
i read your post with similar feelings. I am Surgeon from Malaysia. I recently had a humiliating experience on board MAS (August 2009) while accompanying 2 elderly patients (my patients) who were severely burnt from a cooking gas explosion; to be transferred to a hospital in Tokyo (from Malaysia). We paid our tickets after I got clearance from the doctor in charge at MAS Medical Centre. (I went thru all the red tapes required - filled up forms, made multiple phone calls to the relevant ground crews and doctor of MAS in order to obtain clearance to board the flight)

On the dreadful day, one of the patient suddenly complaint of severe pain. I gave the patient several intravenous painkiller injections (in titrated doses) until i ran out of supply. All were used and still the pain did not subside. The pain was worse after takeoff. i requested to use the Doctor's Kit which is readily available on board and can be used by a certified doctor. But before that i am required to ask permission from the captain.

When i requested for it (via a stewardess), I was rudely refused by the chief steward . He scolded me. I witnessed him shouted at the stewardess that im an incompetent doctor for not bringing enough medications with me. He called the captain on the intercom (yanking the phone roughly) and suggested that he (the captain) should just off load the 3 of us at the malaysia airport.

i insisted for the medications, and later i was invited into the cockpit where, again, i was shouted at by the rude captain. He too threatened to disembark us back to Malaysia although the flight was already halfway. His excuse was that the Doctor's kit is only meant for emergency purposes. Is severe pain not considered an emergency? what more a patient with half of the body burnt by flames???

I just dont understand why these two high ranking officers of the flight reacted that way to me and indirectly victimizing a sick person on board. They have no business to question how i manage my patients because they are NOT trained in medical field. They r in aviation industry!

Certainly they dont have any compassion and freely abusing their power. The 5 hour flight was an agony to my mind. The captain finally approved the meds and i gave the shots. I managed to thank the captain and apologizing for the inconvenience caused. The pain was relieved eventually. But the patient developed high fever 1 hour before landing. Never did the both of them ever came to me or to the patient to ask about their condition, what more to apologize for their offending behaviour.

When we reached Narita Airport, the Japanese ground crews were more helpful. AS I walked out of the plane, the captain who was standing by the door threw a rude remark (he said it to his crew , i quote : 'after sending these patients to the hospital, u'll find this doctor at Tokyo Disneyland" unquote.

I have been on many type of aircrafts thru out my entire life but never have i been this humiliated , (just for a merely 1 ml of painkiller drug!!)

I have just emailed to the top guns of MAS today and shall wait for their response. Should i not receive any feedback, i will not hesitate to go to the press. if u need any info, please feel free to email me at [email protected]
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:20 pm
Company Representative - Malaysia Airlines

Hi drzety74,

We are deeply sorry for the experience you and your patient encountered on your flight, and rest assured, we are looking into the matter with utmost urgency. We are doing everything we can do check with the flight crew, and we hope to be able to get back to you on the matter as swiftly as possible.

Thank you for your patience,
S. Pushpalatha
Head of Customer Relations
Malaysia Airlines
Old Sep 3, 2009, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Malaysia Airlines
Hi drzety74,

We are deeply sorry for the experience you and your patient encountered on your flight, and rest assured, we are looking into the matter with utmost urgency. We are doing everything we can do check with the flight crew, and we hope to be able to get back to you on the matter as swiftly as possible.

S. Pushpalatha
Malaysia Airlines

Welcome to FT. Seems like a step in the right direction for MAS. Hopefully you will continue to monitor the boards for feedback on Malaysia Airlines.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 3:32 am
Suspended

Another warm welcome for Ms Pushpalatha !

I am surprised MH actually cares about their reputation on these boards. Maybe you should also look into the conduct of a supervisor by the name of "Choo" at the KUL Golden Lounge (satellite terminal) who does not hesitate to shout at (and scold) passengers using the lounge !
Old Sep 3, 2009, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by drzety74
AS I walked out of the plane, the captain who was standing by the door threw a rude remark (he said it to his crew , i quote : 'after sending these patients to the hospital, u'll find this doctor at Tokyo Disneyland" unquote.
This is completely unacceptable behavior from anyone and for a CAPTAIN to have said this is just disgusting.

I am a Delta frequent flier but with the merger with NW airlines their is a possibility that I'll be able to use my SkyMiles to book MAS flights...I had been looking forward to trying MAS but...having followed this thread I will definitely think twice before flying to Asia with MAS.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by mario33
Another warm welcome for Ms Pushpalatha !

I am surprised MH actually cares about their reputation on these boards. ..
Maybe it IS about time that someone from MH actually reads FlyerTalk!

MH used to believe that no one will be bothered by what is posted on forums. Maybe the power of FT is proving them wrong.

I sincerely hope that Malaysia Airlines becomes our MH insider here.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 3:34 am
Company Representative - Malaysia Airlines

Dear Dr Izety,

I am writing in reference to your feedback pertaining to our staff’s behaviour during your flight from Kota Kinabalu to Narita recently. In my email to you last Wednesday, I promised to personally look into the matter and I would like to provide you with an update.

I understand Dato’ Capt Zuraidi and Tengku Zuraya have connected with you and advised that an investigation into your feedback is in progress. This is a Standard Operating Procedure at Malaysia Airlines. If necessary, our Security Department will also be roped in to provide assistance.

I am told that both the Captain and the Inflight Supervisor are currently away on duty and will be taken out of their flights once they return to ensure that we get to the bottom of this. In this case, I have asked to be kept in the loop, all the way, personally.

To be honest, I am somewhat shocked by the action of this particular Captain/cabin crew as we have often received compliments from customers’ who have commended other Captains/cabin crew in handling medical incidents on board. There are procedures in place that need to be adhered to prior to allowing medical doctors to open the physician kit. However, the behavior captured in your feedback is totally unacceptable.

Dato’ Captain Zuraidi, Senior General Manager, Flight Operations and the Customer Relations team will connect with you for a face-to-face meeting.

Once again, Dr Izety, I am sorry over the incident and thank you for taking the time amidst your busy schedule to bring this matter to my attention.

Yours sincerely,
Tengku Azmil Zahruddin
Managing Director/ Chief Executive Officer
Malaysia Airlines
Old Sep 5, 2009, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Maybe it IS about time that someone from MH actually reads FlyerTalk!

MH used to believe that no one will be bothered by what is posted on forums. Maybe the power of FT is proving them wrong.

I sincerely hope that Malaysia Airlines becomes our MH insider here.
And, as had been raised before, we need a dedicated MH forum too, instead of now clumping it with "all other Asian airlines".
Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:08 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Malaysia Airlines
Hi drzety74,

S. Pushpalatha
Malaysia Airlines
Welcome and good to see Malaysian airlines taking an active role on this board.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 4:03 am

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
I fly MH about 4 to 5 times a year and am quite amazed to learn that they have rude cabin staff and a captain to boot! I have always experienced very courteous staff. Hope MAS would update us on the outcome of their investigation.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:17 am

Lots of negatives on this board recently for MAS. Similar experience here as you can find my post(#6) on the thread "SFO/LAX to TPE direct flights? only EVA and China Airlines?" Amazed by how much similarity my TPE-LAX flight and OP's trip have. No notice on delayed flight and a very-hard-to-call-in customer service line, Badly organized ground staffs causing delay, rude and inpatient FA did not want to serve me a drink...etc
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:32 am

Dear Dr Izety,

I am writing in reference to your feedback pertaining to our staff’s behaviour during your flight from Kota Kinabalu to Narita recently. In my email to you last Wednesday, I promised to personally look into the matter and I would like to provide you with an update.

I understand Dato’ Capt Zuraidi and Tengku Zuraya have connected with you and advised that an investigation into your feedback is in progress. This is a Standard Operating Procedure at Malaysia Airlines. If necessary, our Security Department will also be roped in to provide assistance.

I am told that both the Captain and the Inflight Supervisor are currently away on duty and will be taken out of their flights once they return to ensure that we get to the bottom of this. In this case, I have asked to be kept in the loop, all the way, personally.

To be honest, I am somewhat shocked by the action of this particular Captain/cabin crew as we have often received compliments from customers’ who have commended other Captains/cabin crew in handling medical incidents on board. There are procedures in place that need to be adhered to prior to allowing medical doctors to open the physician kit. However, the behavior captured in your feedback is totally unacceptable.

Dato’ Captain Zuraidi, Senior General Manager, Flight Operations and the Customer Relations team will connect with you for a face-to-face meeting.

Once again, Dr Izety, I am sorry over the incident and thank you for taking the time amidst your busy schedule to bring this matter to my attention.

Yours sincerely,
Tengku Azmil Zahruddin
Managing Director/ Chief Executive Officer
Malaysia Airlines[/QUOTE]

It was indeed refreshing to read your response letter to the Doctor. I came across it today. I would dearly like to know what the final outcome was.

I was a frequent flyer between Miri, KK, Bintulu and KL, and we had no Air Asia then. I usually found the crew helpful, but there were occasions when I felt further rapport training was needed. I also agree that there are awakard customers.

I now use the KL/Lon route occasionaly and I again I must say that there are instances when I have had uncomfortable responses. Perfection is impossible, but there are ways of responding or refusing courtiously.

Your letter is an excellent example of the way any public dealing organisation should respond to its customers, and should be a compulsory read for all MAS employees.

I shall be using a MAS flight in April, and hope to sound off some positive feedback on this forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.