MH from London

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2008, 12:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BMI, VS, Marriott, SPG, HH*S, GoldPoints+
MH from London

An enquiry regarding showers.

I realise the ( excellent ) lounge at LHR has shower cubicles, but is a facility available for business or first class pax arriving at KUL?

Also, one for the KL experts, if arriving at 17:30, and realising KL town centre has congestion issues, would it be wiser to take the skytrain or a taxi if speed is of the essence?

If the answer is a recommendation for the skytrain, do MH offer a transportation of bags into the city / or is there such a service available on a paid basis at the airport?
Old May 17, 2008, 3:35 pm

Hi UK Flyer 1,

I'm no expert in MH C or F (I travel in Y) but I know that MH does offer arrival lounge facilities. I'd assume they have the shower facilities, as I'd be amazed if their services at the hub is less compared to in LHR?

I haven't been in KL for a long time, but I imagine it'll still be peak time during your arrival.

You may want to try this KLIA VIP Service, https://www.vipservice.com.my/ . It seems really cheap if you're paying in GBP, just GBP 15?

Hope this helps.
Old May 17, 2008, 6:52 pm

Programs: Peasant at large
The MH lounge in KUL is fantastics especially if you're in F. Don't know if they allow arriving pax to use the facilities but I know lots of biz travellers that pop over early just to chill out before a long journey.

Never taken the train to downtown but it is the faster way for the most part. If you're concerned about getting stuck in traffic if taking a cab, it really depends on where you need to go. AFAIK, the train takes you close to downtown but not exactly the financial or shopping district, at least not the main ones anyway.

Depending on where you need to go after that, you might end up getting stuck in the back of cab. Big difference is, if you took a "luxury" cab from the airport, it's usually a nice car. Older Merc or one of the local made Protons but about a full size car compared to the compacts that make up 90% of the street cabs in town.

If you're going to the golden triangle area, I think you'd save just a bit of time taking the train compared to cab unless there's some accident that's causing back-ups along the road. Remember, it's rush hour but you're heading into town while most folks are trying to get out. If you have a few bags to handle cab's the way to go.

Howerver, if you go with the VIP service suggested above, then you won't have much to worry about. Haven't tried it before (planning to later this year if my project in KUL comes through) but it looks very promising.

If you do use the VIP service, do pop back and let us know how things went.
Old May 18, 2008, 1:49 am

Programs: Skywards, Qmiles, Miles&More, Enrich
For shower facilities & then some, you can try the Plaza Premium Lounge in the satellite terminal for a fee. It's not exactly the MH Golden Lounge but you can freshen up & have a small snack after your arrival.
http://www.plaza-ppl.com/kl_en/index.php

I've used the ERL or train to downtown, which gets you to KL Sentral. If you travel light, you may want to try the Putra LRT or 'subway' to KLCC (Petronas Twin Towers). Otherwise, there are plenty of taxis at Sentral to take you anywhere in the city center for around US$5. Btw, you can also check-in for your next MH & some other airlines at KL Sentral provided you get there 2hrs before your flight. ^
Old May 18, 2008, 2:44 am
Suspended

As an arriving passenger travelling in F (or C), you are entitled to use the Golden Lounge at KLIA. There are actually 2 lounges : the main lounge at the satellite terminal ( most likely where you get off the aircraft) which has separate F & C sections and also a new regional lounge at the main terminal.

You didnt mention the location of your hotel. The KLIA Express does not drop you off in the CBD but rather outside the CBD at Sentral. If you arrive during peak hours, you will still have to go through the jam into the city by car/cab. Having said that, if your arrival is at 5.30pm, you will probably clear immigration, collect your luggage and clear customs by 6.00-6.15pm, go take the train and arrive at Sentral after 7.00pm when the peak hr jam would have eased.

I have had enough of the lousy service by the official airport "limousine" (taxi) which is nothing more than a legalised taxi mafia. Its a hit and miss service, sometimes you get a good driver but most of the time the drivers do not have enough sleep, the cars are dirty and reek of cigarette smell, they stop for fuel after picking you up (instead of before), reckless driving etc

I would strongly suggest taking a hotel car if its within your budget. Its a pity KL does not have decent airport transportation, you are either ripped off by the train or official taxi operator .....
Old May 18, 2008, 2:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BMI, VS, Marriott, SPG, HH*S, GoldPoints+
KL arrival

Thanks for all your replies, they are certainly helpful. I enjoyed the recommendation of a VIP service, I wasn't ware of this and this may be the way I will go.

I also agree about the airport 'Limo service', I have enjoyed experiences good abnd bad in this department, although stopping for fuel is a new one on me. I may be old fashioned, but I really feel wobbly when a driver starts to chat on his mobile while zipping through at high speed.

This has all been most useful, thank you.
Old May 19, 2008, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
I have used the VIP service a number of times. After immigration there will be someone holding a placard with your name. The first 2 times they were on the other side but they got smarter the last time and had a placard on both sides. A porter will be assigned to you after you deal with the formalities at the booth. He will grab your bags off the carousel and push your trolley through Customs and basically accompanying you all the way to KL Sentral (I usually tip RM5, they are generally from Nepal). There he will direct you to another counter and your limo driver (usually a Merc) will be waiting for you. It's a great service if I'm travelling alone and need help with bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.