Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Korean Air SFO-ICN - AVOD available!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2006, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Korean Air SFO-ICN - AVOD available!!!

Just got an email from KE's N American Customer Relations - good news!! ^
"Dear Mr. N,
Currently, we have scheduled a B772P aircraft, which is our newer aircraft featuring AVOD entertainment.

Please note, however, that on rare occasions, aircraft may be changed without prior notice.

Korean Air is continually up-grading existing equipment as well as receiving new aircraft from the manufacturers. We expect that our transpacific and transatlantic fleet will all be upgraded with the most modern features by 2007.
Your patronage is appreciated, and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Customer Relations
North America"
Old Apr 5, 2006, 6:12 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Wonderful news! Thanks for sharing the info! :-:

I'll be flying ATL-BKK on either KE or CI via ICN or TPE (buying DL codeshare tix) over Labor Day weekend. Most of my transpac travel has been on award tix lately, but I'll be buying this one, most likely in Y. I've been leaning toward KE because I've liked KE on previous trips and the lounge at Incheon, to which I'll have access as a SkyTeam Elite Plus, is among the best in the world-- an oasis amid two long-hual flights. I know that I can take the nonstop from ATL, which would have shorter overall trip time, but it might be worthwhile to go via SFO or LAX because I can be reasonably assured of an upgrade ATL-West Coast on DL. More or less confirmed AVOD on the SFO flight, which anyway would be the shortest of all the transpac options in terms of flying time, makes this a done deal on the outbound anyway. ATL-SFO-ICN-BKK, BKK-ICN-ATL: 20,000 MQM's roundtrip, doubled to 40,000 base SkyMiles with my Plat bonus. ^^^

Last edited by MegatopLover; Apr 5, 2006 at 6:19 am
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

sounds pretty good!
but wouldn't you get an international upgrade as a Plat if u did ATL-NRT(DL metal)-BKK? may be you will miss out on miles for NRT-BKK - but you may get to fly BizElite all the way to NRT!
just a thought - i have not done any research - I am not a bigh KE fan - the lounge is good - but I don't like the food. DL's better than KE any day..IMHO

QUOTE=MegatopLover]Wonderful news! Thanks for sharing the info! :-:

I'll be flying ATL-BKK on either KE or CI via ICN or TPE (buying DL codeshare tix) over Labor Day weekend. Most of my transpac travel has been on award tix lately, but I'll be buying this one, most likely in Y. I've been leaning toward KE because I've liked KE on previous trips and the lounge at Incheon, to which I'll have access as a SkyTeam Elite Plus, is among the best in the world-- an oasis amid two long-hual flights. I know that I can take the nonstop from ATL, which would have shorter overall trip time, but it might be worthwhile to go via SFO or LAX because I can be reasonably assured of an upgrade ATL-West Coast on DL. More or less confirmed AVOD on the SFO flight, which anyway would be the shortest of all the transpac options in terms of flying time, makes this a done deal on the outbound anyway. ATL-SFO-ICN-BKK, BKK-ICN-ATL: 20,000 MQM's roundtrip, doubled to 40,000 base SkyMiles with my Plat bonus. ^^^[/QUOTE]
Old Apr 6, 2006, 6:00 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by nbarve
sounds pretty good!
but wouldn't you get an international upgrade as a Plat if u did ATL-NRT(DL metal)-BKK? may be you will miss out on miles for NRT-BKK - but you may get to fly BizElite all the way to NRT!
just a thought - i have not done any research - I am not a bigh KE fan - the lounge is good - but I don't like the food. DL's better than KE any day..IMHO
Well, to get the upgrade, I'd need to book at least an M-class fare to NRT, then would need to get someone at DL to book an interline ticket on TG or NH (good luck!). The M fare ATL-NRT vv. would be around $2000, and it would only work if the upgradeable inventory were available on the exact flights I needed: I have very little flexibility. While the BE seat on a 777 is better than economy class on any airline, I'm not wild about it and I think DL's service is bush league compared to almost any Asian airline, in any class. So I definitely prefer KE to DL.

The Y class on codeshare flights (KE or CI) is running about $1100 right now, which is good for an ex-USA ticket. If I were going to spend upwards of $2000, I'd buy a one-way in Y going over (or a roundtrip and get the return leg refunded as a credit), then buy roundtrip C class tickets ex-BKK, which can be had for just about $2000 depending on the gateway. That would get me 1.5 roundtrips, with one roundtrip BKK-ATL in C the whole way. Probably won't do that this year, but might do it next year.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:35 pm

So......does this mean the new seats/pods also? And, when does it start?
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond, SPG Gold (lifetime)
Originally Posted by nbarve
Just got an email from KE's N American Customer Relations - good news!! ^
"Dear Mr. N,
Currently, we have scheduled a B772P aircraft, which is our newer aircraft featuring AVOD entertainment.

Please note, however, that on rare occasions, aircraft may be changed without prior notice.

Korean Air is continually up-grading existing equipment as well as receiving new aircraft from the manufacturers. We expect that our transpacific and transatlantic fleet will all be upgraded with the most modern features by 2007.
Your patronage is appreciated, and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Customer Relations
North America"
How did you get them to email you with an update. I have been very frustrated trying to get info on the JFK-ICN route equipment.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 1:04 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Well, to get the upgrade, I'd need to book at least an M-class fare to NRT, then would need to get someone at DL to book an interline ticket on TG or NH (good luck!). The M fare ATL-NRT vv. would be around $2000, and it would only work if the upgradeable inventory were available on the exact flights I needed: I have very little flexibility. While the BE seat on a 777 is better than economy class on any airline, I'm not wild about it and I think DL's service is bush league compared to almost any Asian airline, in any class. So I definitely prefer KE to DL.

The Y class on codeshare flights (KE or CI) is running about $1100 right now, which is good for an ex-USA ticket. If I were going to spend upwards of $2000, I'd buy a one-way in Y going over (or a roundtrip and get the return leg refunded as a credit), then buy roundtrip C class tickets ex-BKK, which can be had for just about $2000 depending on the gateway. That would get me 1.5 roundtrips, with one roundtrip BKK-ATL in C the whole way. Probably won't do that this year, but might do it next year.
The KE C seats are well below par! DL's 12 year old B/E seat is MUCH better than KE's back breaking C seat!
Old Apr 15, 2006, 5:48 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE Morning Calm, SPG Gold, Hyatt DIA...when I fly domestic I always fly CO or UA! yay
Red face

Yeah..sadly it is true that the new biz on KE is not as comfortable as it seems...that's so sad, cuz I expected a lot. I took the one from JFK-ICN-JFK with new 747, it seemed narrower than the old seats. I'd recommend other carrier for C class, although KE might be a lil cheaper. C class have bigger AOD screens though, so if you are a person who prefers watching a lot of movies and games etc., you should try taking KE..their AOD is pretty good.

I'd like to try their F class...they seem really nice
Old Apr 17, 2006, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
What flight number was that from JFK-ICN?

Originally Posted by jamsoh
Yeah..sadly it is true that the new biz on KE is not as comfortable as it seems...that's so sad, cuz I expected a lot. I took the one from JFK-ICN-JFK with new 747, it seemed narrower than the old seats. I'd recommend other carrier for C class, although KE might be a lil cheaper. C class have bigger AOD screens though, so if you are a person who prefers watching a lot of movies and games etc., you should try taking KE..their AOD is pretty good.

I'd like to try their F class...they seem really nice
Old Apr 18, 2006, 5:18 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE Morning Calm, SPG Gold, Hyatt DIA...when I fly domestic I always fly CO or UA! yay
Originally Posted by uavking
What flight number was that from JFK-ICN?
It's the afternoon flight that leaves around 11:30 AM..I'm guessing KE 82?

I know the ICN-JFK was KE 81 for the new designed aircraft...

If you chose to fly C on this sector, tell them you want the Left front seat A or B, they have more space in front of them (bulkhead), and avoid C class just in front of Y class..it's kinda noisy...upper deck is okay too
Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:26 pm

Avod

I'll be flying ATL-BKK on either KE or CI via ICN or TPE (buying DL codeshare tix) over Labor Day weekend. Most of my transpac travel has been on award tix lately, but I'll be buying this one, most likely in Y. I've been leaning toward KE because I've liked KE on previous trips and the lounge at Incheon, to which I'll have access as a SkyTeam Elite Plus, is among the best in the world-- an oasis amid two long-hual flights. I know that I can take the nonstop from ATL, which would have shorter overall trip time, but it might be worthwhile to go via SFO or LAX because I can be reasonably assured of an upgrade ATL-West Coast on DL. More or less confirmed AVOD on the SFO flight, which anyway would be the shortest of all the transpac options in terms of flying time, makes this a done deal on the outbound anyway. ATL-SFO-ICN-BKK, BKK-ICN-ATL: 20,000 MQM's roundtrip, doubled to 40,000 base SkyMiles with my Plat bonus. ^^^
I am yet to find a good source to look up which KE flights have AVOD. I experienced it first time on the ICN-JFK 11AM flight - it is great. As good as the SQ offering.

I was disappointed to find out that the ATL-ICN did not have it.

Any idea which specific flights/routes have it. The ICN-JFK was a 747. So, it is not just on 777.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 5:18 am

Programs: Delta Slymiles
If not mistaken the 11am morning or sometimes 1pm afternoon flight out of JFK has it and the 11a ICN-JFK flight has it also. The midnight flight out of JFK does not nor does the flight that gets you into JFK in the evening which I believe leaves Korea later in the evening about 7p. KE 82 and 81 are I believe what you are looking for as far as JFK service. The entertainment system is great, on par with the NW A332 and JALs new 747 entertainment systems.

Mykal
Old Apr 26, 2006, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Anyone know if there's a chance of the midnight JFK-ICN flight getting the new cabin/AVOD before June (It'll be a long flight otherwise...). Same with ICN-DFW...

Originally Posted by Mykal
If not mistaken the 11am morning or sometimes 1pm afternoon flight out of JFK has it and the 11a ICN-JFK flight has it also. The midnight flight out of JFK does not nor does the flight that gets you into JFK in the evening which I believe leaves Korea later in the evening about 7p. KE 82 and 81 are I believe what you are looking for as far as JFK service. The entertainment system is great, on par with the NW A332 and JALs new 747 entertainment systems.

Mykal
Old Apr 26, 2006, 7:16 pm

Question

Originally Posted by gt0138d
I am yet to find a good source to look up which KE flights have AVOD. I experienced it first time on the ICN-JFK 11AM flight - it is great. As good as the SQ offering.

I was disappointed to find out that the ATL-ICN did not have it.

Any idea which specific flights/routes have it. The ICN-JFK was a 747. So, it is not just on 777.
I agree.

I have a few questions here. I am going ATL-ICN-BKK in May. C Class. I am trying to figure out what I need to bring on-board from a entertainment perspective.

So if no AVOD does that mean no personal entertainment system at all? (I am trying to get as much info on movies as possible- I saw the KE site with the three movie listings however are there more choices with AVOD?)

Are the movies then up on a screen?

Also, does anyone know if C has an outlet for plugging up my laptop/DVD player? That would certainly help with passing the time.

Thanks in advance for any help here!
K7
Old Apr 26, 2006, 7:26 pm

......ATL-SFO-ICN-BKK, BKK-ICN-ATL: 20,000 MQM's roundtrip, doubled to 40,000 base SkyMiles with my Plat bonus. ^^^
Just to check...don't you get 30,000 MQM's because of the 1.5 escalator for Y class?

Last edited by K7Beach; Apr 26, 2006 at 7:28 pm Reason: For clarification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.