Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines 772 FC being eliminated -- rumour ????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Malaysia Airlines 772 FC being eliminated -- rumour ????

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2004, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Exclamation Malaysia Airlines 772 FC being eliminated -- rumour ????

Greetings -

I've recently heard a rumour that Malaysia Airlines will be doing a re-config on their 772's to a two class service? Anyone know if this is true and if true, when it will be done?

I'm currently holding a FC ticket for travel on MH later this summer and all segments are on 772s (EWR-KUL-MEL and return).

Source of rumour: A friend saw a picture of a MH 772 on airliners.net with a comment that it will no longer be a 3 class config.

SDF_Traveler

Last edited by SDF_Traveler; May 23, 2004 at 11:45 am
Old May 23, 2004, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL,SQ
Yes, Malaysia Airlines has stated that the 777s will be reconfigured to two-class with the cabin upgrade. However, the process will begin only after October.
Old May 25, 2004, 5:47 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Nice move - I hope MH does well!
Old May 26, 2004, 5:24 am

Programs: DL,SQ
Some interesting bits about MH's EWR service... there is talk of re-routing it through Europe (ARN appears to be the leading candidate) by October.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story...ewspage=Search

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story...6&sec=business
Old May 29, 2004, 12:18 am

Aawwww, come on now!!!

MH has never had a real FC product compare to other Asian Airliners. What they have is a business plus product similar to Delta Business Elite. I have seen better BC product on other airlines than MH First. Their lounge in KL is very nice though.
Old May 29, 2004, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by AH-64D
MH has never had a real FC product compare to other Asian Airliners. What they have is a business plus product similar to Delta Business Elite. I have seen better BC product on other airlines than MH First. Their lounge in KL is very nice though.
Simply not true!

MH First is a true First class, barring perhaps the seat which is not a 'suite'. The seat width is way above average, the foot-rest is horizontal and the recline 165 degrees. Some people prefer this as you can easily sleep on your side and turn.

The menu is excellent (rarely less than six or seven courses including caviar on selected flights), and presented with a great deal of flair from the trolley.

If you have a ticket on MH first - relax and enjoy!

Regards

WG
Old May 29, 2004, 7:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Eqivalent to DL's BusinessElite?!

Originally Posted by AH-64D
I'll take MH FC over DL's BusinessElite anyday! Maybe the seat is not up to snuff--but the food and service is on par with SQ and CX.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 12:27 am

Would you take MH First over JL, CX or SQ (aka other Asian airlines)? If not then there is a problem isn't it. MH said (per their website) their F seats fully recline at 165 degrees. Come on, how can it be fully reclined when it is not 180 degrees. MH is going to the 180 degree flat bed, what do you think they will describe them as: beyond fully reclined? Excessively reclined? Their food although good is not nearly as good as JL, CX nor SQ. Their F cabin on the 744 is overcrowed. All in all, I would even rank them behind AA Atlantic F with the FL suite. Of course, YMMV.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
Greetings -

I've recently heard a rumour that Malaysia Airlines will be doing a re-config on their 772's to a two class service? Anyone know if this is true and if true, when it will be done?

I'm currently holding a FC ticket for travel on MH later this summer and all segments are on 772s (EWR-KUL-MEL and return).

Source of rumour: A friend saw a picture of a MH 772 on airliners.net with a comment that it will no longer be a 3 class config.

SDF_Traveler
When are you going to be in KUL? I'll be in that part of the world in August, and again in November.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 3:42 pm
tiernan1338

HI all,

This slight old, albeit timely article may put things into perspective. I apologise in advance of the lack of formating for the text below, but I've got to run. Hope it quells some of the confusion which is flying around the room.

Just my 2 cents, having flown cattle, business and first class with all airlines listed in this forum, I would definitely choose MH as my preferred carrier. QF as my secondary provider.

Regards
tiernan1338
Vic, Australia

"Malaysia Airlines today unveiled plans of a major programme to upgrade 32 aircraft in its fleet serving long and medium haul destinations. Representing an investment of approximately RM700 million, First and Business class cabin accommodation, and the in-flight entertainment system throughout, will be entirely revamped to introduce cutting edge style and design, providing the ultimate in contemporary global air travel.

At a ceremony in Kuala Lumpur, Dato' Ahmad Fuaad Dahlan, Senior General Manager of Sales, Distribution and Marketing, Malaysia Airlines introduced product vendors B/E Aerospace Inc., USA and Matsu****a Avionics Systems Corporation who will commence cabin upgrade programmes in mid 2004.
Seventeen B747-400 aircraft and fifteen B777-200 are scheduled for refit with the first aircraft expected back in service by November 2004. First class passengers will enjoy increased cabin space, extended legroom, personalised seating pods adjustable to individual passenger height and converting to lie-flat beds, mood lighting, elegant fittings and a host of additional amenities. Business class passengers will also enjoy increased space, mini pod seats with lie-flat facility, redesigned cabins and additional extras.

Passengers throughout the aircraft will enjoy the new System 3000i Audio Visual On Demand entertainment programmes, providing DVD type picture resolution on screen, and a host of interactive in-flight services.
Speaking earlier today, Dato' Fuaad said, "The innovations unveiled this morning give new strength and energy to the already high quality products Malaysia Airlines has on offer. To innovate is to make change – to make a difference. In this case, we introduce that difference based on sound commercial logic. Malaysia Airlines is an achieving airline in the top league of the global aviation business – a position we aim to maintain and enhance. We provide the best cabin crew service in the world – as testified by our third global award for "World's Best Cabin Crew" from Skytrax UK. Today, we add to that the best in cabin accommodation and in-flight entertainment."
Mr Robert J. Khoury, President and CEO of B/E Aerospace Inc. said, "Our engineering and certification expertise, combined with a long history of providing innovative interior products, enables Malaysia Airlines to achieve a new standard of comfort and convenience in premium class service."
Matsu****a President, Takashi Mizuma added, "Matsu****a Avionics is very grateful that Malaysia Airlines has chosen our In-flight Entertainment Systems once again. MAS first selected a MASC system over seven years ago, back in 1996, when our System 2000E as the commercial air transport industry's leading IFE system. As we work hard to develop new systems (such as S3000i) in response to the requirements of our customers and their passengers, it is our strong hope that over the years you will hear much more good news from Malaysia Airlines about our IFE systems."
Cabin, Seat And In-Flight Entertainment Upgrade - B747-400 and B777-200
First Class

The new specification for First Class on the B747-400 will showcase a completely new interior in Zone A, the First Class area, of the B747. The layout design is a combination of business jet interior decor and architecture, combined with a personal seat-cum-bed pod. There will only be 12 seat pods in the First Class area, giving it a very spacious and exclusive ambience. The First Class seat will be a fully horizontal flat bed in sleep position and an extremely comfortable armchair with translating ottoman, and a seat pan that adjusts to the passenger's height in the seated position. There will be side stowage console for every seat and electrically operated windows next to the passenger. A special lighting system, adjustable to passenger mood will add to the atmosphere of the cabin. Two exquisitely styled and spacious lavatories will be a luxurious 'utility feature' of the cabin. Complementing the hardware upgrade, MAS will create new service delivery standards catering especially to front end passengers. For example, the passenger may choose to dine for two or alone, select an individual mood of lighting in which to dine and specify the choice of service time.
Business Class

Malaysia Airlines' new Business Class seats will be the all new 'mini pod' design converting into flat beds. The seat, offering an additional 21% legroom from the current design, converts into a lie flat bed, providing the ideal working and resting place for business travelers. Each seat has a fixed privacy shell. In the recline position, the seat will transverse inside the shell, creating private personal space. Such a privacy facility also ensures no encroachment into another passenger's personal space. The passenger will also enjoy additional seating width with the armrest translating away with the movement of the seat during recline. Each Business Class seat will be equipped with a 110V AC outlet to power notebooks.
In Flight Entertainment
Malaysia Airlines has carried out extensive studies on the entertainment needs of passengers on board and as a result Malaysia Airlines will be among the first in the world to install the latest state-of-the-art 3rd generation Matsu****a entertainment system dubbed 'System 3000i'. System 3000i will offer complete AVOD (Audio Video on Demand) throughout the aircraft -- including Economy Class. (AVOD enables the passenger to be in absolute control -- to start, pause, rewind or fast forward an entertainment programme). System 3000i delivers DVD type picture resolution on the passenger's screen and facilitates new interactive services -- email, SMS, internet/intranet, live TV - to be progressively introduced to Malaysia Airlines' passengers. The offering of a more advanced IFE system, including Economy class is timely to cater for the more IT savvy and younger age group of 20-35 year olds who will potentially be the future premium class passengers on board Malaysia Airlines. System 3000i is also expected to benefit Malaysia Airlines and passengers by having greater reliability and lower maintenance issues.
2 Class Conversion For B777-200
In conjunction with the cabin upgrade programme, Malaysia Airlines will reconfigure all B777-200s to a 2-class cabin. This aircraft is being utilised more frequently for medium haul routes in addition to long haul routes. This configuration will benefit the corporate travel demand sector as the current trend shows greater demand for business class on medium haul flights.
Synergistic Key Initiative
Malaysia Airlines will start to receive upgrading parts from both suppliers by the middle of 2004 and start installation in October. The investment for this major upgrade programme will cost the airline about RM700 million, with the cost spread over 4 years. The aircraft cabin, seat and IFE upgrade programme is part of the airline's expansion plan that is in synergy with other customer-oriented initiatives such as customer relationship management programme and the recently announced internet booking.
"

Old Jul 29, 2004, 12:36 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I guess the real question is how rapid the roll-out of the new configuration aircraft will be?

If the roll-out starts in November, when will it hit different routes?

Basing it on what ANA did, I assume MH will progressively roll-out the aircraft starting on it's highest profile, highest yield routes. I assume that will mean KUL-LHR to start.

Any ideas when the new configuration will hit LAX? Based on MH cutting the LAX flights back to five a week, and TG never putting its new configuration 747s on the LAX route, I am fearful that LAX may be one of the last routes to see the new configuration.

Any rumours out there?
Old Jul 29, 2004, 7:25 am

Programs: Delta PM, US GP
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I guess the real question is how rapid the roll-out of the new configuration aircraft will be?

If the roll-out starts in November, when will it hit different routes?

Basing it on what ANA did, I assume MH will progressively roll-out the aircraft starting on it's highest profile, highest yield routes. I assume that will mean KUL-LHR to start.

Any ideas when the new configuration will hit LAX? Based on MH cutting the LAX flights back to five a week, and TG never putting its new configuration 747s on the LAX route, I am fearful that LAX may be one of the last routes to see the new configuration.

Any rumours out there?
I'm curious about this too. VERY curious. I have 2 First Class tickets (using miles) booked for next summer. LAX-KUL then on to China. I'm assuming the China leg will be 2-class 777 which is fine with me, I'm just hoping for nice, new seats in First for the long stretch by then.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 7:35 pm

Malaysian first class confirguration

Does anyone know if the 747 from LAX will be complete by December? Now that could make me soooooooooooo happy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.