Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TG or MH for KUL-BKK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2023, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

TG or MH for KUL-BKK

Hello! I am stuck in a dilemma because I am trying to ascertain whether it is worth paying an extra RM400-ish for TG over MH. Here is what I gathered:
  • TG: costs RM1500+ (over €320)... widebodies, lie-flat seats but apparently no lounge at KUL and prone to last-minute aircraft shifts
  • MH: costs RM1150-ish (approximately €245)... only narrow bodies, no lie-flat seats, risk of no in-seat IFE, but with lounge access
Which of these options consist of better value in your opinion?
Old Feb 28, 2023, 10:05 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by hybridace101
Hello! I am stuck in a dilemma because I am trying to ascertain whether it is worth paying an extra RM400-ish for TG over MH. Here is what I gathered:
  • TG: costs RM1500+ (over €320)... widebodies, lie-flat seats but apparently no lounge at KUL and prone to last-minute aircraft shifts
  • MH: costs RM1150-ish (approximately €245)... only narrow bodies, no lie-flat seats, risk of no in-seat IFE, but with lounge access
Which of these options consist of better value in your opinion?
It's a two-hour flight so I wouldn't overthink it from a comfort or IFE point of view. You don't mention whether you prefer to accrue mileage to *A or OW as this could also come into consideration. Personally, I'd take the lounge access with MH. At least you can be fed and watered before you leave and MH's lounges were not bad before the plague. Is it possible that TG would put you in the Plaza Premier lounge in KUL which is/was a lot worse than other Plaza Premiers around the world and MH's own lounges in KUL.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Just take the cheapest flight/with the suitable departure times. As stated by previous poster, don't overthink this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 12:22 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Also check Air Asia and Batik Air Malaysia - plenty of flights KUL-DMK/BKK
Old Mar 2, 2023, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ftrichard
It's a two-hour flight so I wouldn't overthink it from a comfort or IFE point of view. You don't mention whether you prefer to accrue mileage to *A or OW as this could also come into consideration. Personally, I'd take the lounge access with MH. At least you can be fed and watered before you leave and MH's lounges were not bad before the plague. Is it possible that TG would put you in the Plaza Premier lounge in KUL which is/was a lot worse than other Plaza Premiers around the world and MH's own lounges in KUL.
Actually I have gotten in touch with TG's KL office and they said staff would put us up at the Plaza Premier lounge.

Speaking of food, another thing that weighs in to my decision is MH's version of "book the cook" service for "regular" meals. Although MH has fewer options, at least it includes a steak dish I am very much looking forward to try. TG only offers such a service for flights from BKK, not to BKK.
Other possible plusses in MH's favour: as it is a narrowbody flight, it will likely mean a departure from the main terminal so it saves us the risk of getting stuck on the Aerotrain. A departure from an airline's hub on business class always has a certain majesty to it.

On the other hand, as I am already taking SIA C somewhere on this trip and will likely fly MH C from a domestic destination, I feel that experiencing C on three carriers is always a delight.

As for where to earn FF points, I am pretty agnostic as I have FF accounts on both CX and SIA.

Any other thoughts on those?
Old Mar 2, 2023, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
Also check Air Asia and Batik Air Malaysia - plenty of flights KUL-DMK/BKK
Sorry, I forgot to mention I intend to fly C class. Batik offers it but the lower fares don't include lounge access.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 5:58 pm

Actually I have gotten in touch with TG's KL office and they said staff would put us up at the Plaza Premier lounge.

Speaking of food, another thing that weighs in to my decision is MH's version of "book the cook" service for "regular" meals. Although MH has fewer options, at least it includes a steak dish I am very much looking forward to try. TG only offers such a service for flights from BKK, not to BKK.
Other possible plusses in MH's favour: as it is a narrowbody flight, it will likely mean a departure from the main terminal so it saves us the risk of getting stuck on the Aerotrain. A departure from an airline's hub on business class always has a certain majesty to it.

On the other hand, as I am already taking SIA C somewhere on this trip and will likely fly MH C from a domestic destination, I feel that experiencing C on three carriers is always a delight.

As for where to earn FF points, I am pretty agnostic as I have FF accounts on both CX and SIA.

Any other thoughts on those?
I don't think the possibility of taking the Aerotrain between terminals is that horrifying. The PP lounge in the satellite is often crowded and only ever served me beer - a low grade experience in KUL from this branded contract lounge. MH has better lounges at both the main terminal and satellite - the satellite being larger but otherwise not offering noticeably different F&B. We were regulars in the main terminal lounge flying this exact route for about five years when I lived in KL and used it about once a month but that was way before the plague and when they served actual Champagne. If you take MH on a domestic flight then your experience will be vastly inferior with its domestic lounge offering somewhat disappointing F&B (no booze for example). I'd still vote with my wallet on this and travel with MH from their own hub especially if you can choose your meal on board in advance so that your two hours in the air doesn't become a shattering ordeal.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Plaza Premiers KUL is disgusting.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Also, how frequent are last-minute aircraft substitutions on a KUL-BKK sector with TG (maybe even MH)? A few weeks ago, it reported one of the flights was due to be on a 787-9. Yet it was downgraded to a 772/77E.

Last edited by hybridace101; Mar 7, 2023 at 2:27 am
Old Mar 7, 2023, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
As a TG *G, I was quite happy to fly on MH's J BKK-KUL due to lower pricing. The seat and food were fine on this short sector on a B737.

I effectively used the savings for a nicer hotel for two nights, so do have a think holistically. Aircraft substitutions do happen no matter the carrier.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Looks like the consensus is almost lopsided. Despite being used to a widebody for intra-Asian flights, I have gone with MH for these related reasons:
1. The hub - there is a just a majesty in flying out of an airline's base.
and related to #1
2. The check-in hall makes us feel like royalty even for a short hop.
3. By flying out of KUL, I am guaranteed access to an MH lounge with the maximum selection of seating and food possible. Hopefully there are showers too (are there showers at the regional MH lounge at KUL?).
4. This was possibly the tipping point: I have the option of preselecting my "regular" meal.
5. Timing - MH has more options. TG had only two flights to BKK: early afternoon which is a bit too early and mid-evening, which is a bit too late. I wanted to ensure I had allowances for delays and long queues at BKK. This will minimise the chances I exit to the public area after the ARL and other establishments close.
6. (and this is related to #5), I have one free change of flight. This will come in handy in case I have a meeting in KL that ends earlier than planned.

All of those extras for about £65 less than what I could have gotten with TG.

Hope I made the right choice!

Last edited by hybridace101; Mar 8, 2023 at 8:18 am
Old Mar 9, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
The new Plaza Premium at KUL Main Terminal right after immigration is rather nice. It's right before the buses to the C gates where TG departs from.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

I don't think the possibility of taking the Aerotrain between terminals is that horrifying. The PP lounge in the satellite is often crowded and only ever served me beer - a low grade experience in KUL from this branded contract lounge. MH has better lounges at both the main terminal and satellite - the satellite being larger but otherwise not offering noticeably different F&B. We were regulars in the main terminal lounge flying this exact route for about five years when I lived in KL and used it about once a month but that was way before the plague and when they served actual Champagne. If you take MH on a domestic flight then your experience will be vastly inferior with its domestic lounge offering somewhat disappointing F&B (no booze for example). I'd still vote with my wallet on this and travel with MH from their own hub especially if you can choose your meal on board in advance so that your two hours in the air doesn't become a shattering ordeal.
Can regional MH passengers like those flying from KUL to BKK use the lounge at the main terminal? Does the regional lounge offer showers?
Old Mar 9, 2023, 5:24 pm

Can regional MH passengers like those flying from KUL to BKK use the lounge at the main terminal? Does the regional lounge offer showers?
Why would business class MH travellers from KUL to BKK not be able to use the lounge in the main terminal which is where MH's regional flights tend to leave from?

I believe there are showers near the toilets but I've never used them as I was invariably more focused on starting my night out in Bangkok early in the lounge bar after a hard Friday at work. Go up the escalators, into the lounge, head to the right past the bar and food on the left and the spa (if it's still there) on the right and straight in front of you are the toilets. I seem to remember there being showers in there but I'm only 90% on that.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, I meant the larger one at the satellite terminal.

Slightly off-topic, can we use the lounge at arrival from a domestic business MH flight at KUL assuming we had no lounge at our airport of origin?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.