Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Trip Report: Fiji Airways A350-900XWB New Business Class AKL - NAN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Hello everyone!

I’ve been looking forward to share my experience flying Fiji Airways’ brand new A350-900XWB with the new Super Diamond seats! I’m only posting a few photos here, but I have a more thorough reviews and photos here, as well as my recent Qantas A380 First Class review from Singapore to Melbourne.

There is a separate lane for premium passengers as well as Oneworld Emerald and Sapphire members, as Fiji Airways recently joined Oneworld as a Oneworld Connect member.

Fiji Airways at Auckland Airport uses Qantas International Business Lounge, which I will also review on a separate post. After having some delicious Thai Red Beef Curry at the lounge, I headed to my gate. My flight that day departed out of gate 5.

The initial aircraft assignment was Boeing 737 MAX. As you know, the MAX planes won’t be flying anytime soon. It was then switched to a leased aircraft from Miami Air, which didn’t even feature a business class cabin. But then a few months ago, I noticed there was another equipment swap. When I looked at the aircraft type, my jaw dropped! Now I was scheduled to fly on the brand new A350-900XWB named Island of Vanua Levu that Fiji Airways recently took delivery of! That’s why I couldn’t be more excited.

I boarded through door 1L and was greeted by a friendly flight attendant. I love the new plane smell! Fiji Airways A350 planes are equipped with reverse herringbone Super Diamond seats in a 1-2-1 configuration. I assigned myself seat 20K.

I do love the finish, and it looks much better than the rendering on the internet. Unlike most airlines, the seat is entirely wrapped with off-white leather. It reminds me of seats in luxury cars.

Waiting on my seat are pillow and blanket, as well as a booklet explaining how to operate the seat controls.

Once settled in, the flight attendant offered a pre-departure beverage. The options were champagne and sparkling drinks; I had the latter.

Even though many airlines have opted to install Super Diamond seats, the version installed on this aircraft is the newer version. As you can see, the IFE controller looks very similar to an android phone, and it even has a camera — I think.

The screen is very responsive and has a high resolution, especially when showing the camera view.

The footwell is decent. It’s not as spacious as some of the older configurations, but it’s quite comfortable, and great news for hot-natured folks — there are individual air nozzles on every seat!

Five minutes after take-off, the seatbelt sign was turned off, and the crews started preparing lunch service.

It took about 50 minutes until the appetizer was served, and there was only one option to choose from.

For the main course, I ordered the grilled fish — seared wall fillet, served with white wine cream sauce, green pea studded risotto, and roasted pumpkin wedge.

While it was a decent dish, the flavor wasn’t unique enough for my taste bud. Personally, I would expect something more exotic and spicy.

To finish, I had the cream tart — vanilla-scented whipped cream cheese filling in a sweet pastry case.

Overall it was a good quality meal, especially for a short flight, but it was a bit on the plain side. I also had a chance to check out the lavatory, which is clean and stocked with Pure Fiji toiletries.

Other than that it was an uneventful flight, but the view from my window for the remainder of the flight was spectacular. Before landing, the flight attendants walked around the cabin to collect the headphones.

Moments later, we touched down in Nadi. Upon arrival, I was able to get a few shots of the plane as the terminal is partially outdoor.

Conclusion

Fiji Airways’ brand new A350 was such a joy to ride! The business class cabin is elegant and beautiful. The white leather seats are something you’ll see in a luxury sports car. I’m so glad I had a chance to fly this magnificent bird.

Overall, the service was great, and I was addressed by my last-name the entire flight. The flight attendant working on my aisle was very friendly. I love it when I see the crews are enthusiastic because it sets the tone of how good a flight would be.

The quality of the food was good, but the food itself was a bit bland. That said, I wouldn’t hesitate to fly Fiji Airways again, especially on a long haul flight on A350 aircraft.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Thank you for posting this review!

I was curious about the A359 since I'll be flying on FJ in May for my trip to Vanuatu and the Solomon Islands.
johnsw1988 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 10:12 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
fast becoming one of my favourite airlines.
johnsw1988 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Thank you for posting this review!

I was curious about the A359 since I'll be flying on FJ in May for my trip to Vanuatu and the Solomon Islands.
My pleasure! I wish I were doing AKL-NAN and then continuing NAN-LAX. But I'm glad I had the opportunity to fly this beautiful bird. I was scheduled to flew the MAX, but obviously I had not been flying since last year, and then it switched to Miami Air When I googled it, it didn't even have business class. But eventually it got swap and ended up flying A359. I couldn't be happier!
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by johnsw1988
My pleasure! I wish I were doing AKL-NAN and then continuing NAN-LAX. But I'm glad I had the opportunity to fly this beautiful bird. I was scheduled to flew the MAX, but obviously I had not been flying since last year, and then it switched to Miami Air When I googled it, it didn't even have business class. But eventually it got swap and ended up flying A359. I couldn't be happier!
I'm kind of surprised that FJ would contract with Miami Air to operate their routes in the South Pacific.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I'm kind of surprised that FJ would contract with Miami Air to operate their routes in the South Pacific.
I know right! I freaked out when I got a schedule change notice. I was even downgraded to Y, but it all worked out well in the end. So glad having a chance to experience the new plane!
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 7:17 am
Suspended

Thanks for the fantastic report, with photos. However, it looks like the seats are just standard A350 seats, but with leather(or leatherette) upholstery. I find leather(leatherette) coverings too slippery though.
johnsw1988 likes this.
Old May 2, 2020, 3:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by johnsw1988
I know right! I freaked out when I got a schedule change notice. I was even downgraded to Y, but it all worked out well in the end. So glad having a chance to experience the new plane!
when we flew into NAN, Malindo air had taken over from Miami air. Malindo were very ordinary & seats were very low.

Have flown on Fiji airs A330s in business class & it was great, but the A359 was infinitely better.

Last edited by OZFLYER86; May 2, 2020 at 4:24 pm Reason: typo
Old May 3, 2020, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
when we flew into NAN, Malindo air had taken over from Miami air. Malindo were very ordinary & seats were very low.

Have flown on Fiji airs A330s in business class & it was great, but the A359 was infinitely better.
I actually flew one of Malindo's 737-900 at the end of this trip from KUL to KTM (Trip report coming up soon!! :-)). As a reference, this is the seat - pretty standard J, but I like the fact that they have leg rests and more spacious the US airlines fleet:

Regarding Fiji's A330, I also flew it on that trip from NAN to SIN. OMG, it was awful! I got the old one - not the one ex. SQ. I would avoid this type at all cost. When you recline the seat, the tray table also tilts - I spilled a full glass of Bailey's on my lap! UGH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.