Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carryon Questions involving VN and PG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Carryon Questions involving VN and PG

Usually I travel with a carryon bag, CPAP and personal item. Vietnam airline (VN) on tickets bought before August 1, 2019 has a 7kg carryon limit. We will be boarding in Ho Chi Minh City and flying coach to Siem Reap. We understand from earlier posts that carryons meeting the size requirement are usually not weighed. The posts were older but hopefully still true.My weight will be between 10 and 12 kg.

After August 1 VN changed its carryon rules. It now allows a carryon and an accessory item (combined weight 12kg) as well as a personal item like a laptop. Will my older ticket be able to use those limits? Under either the older or current rules, does my CPAP count against my carryon limits? It weighs about 5kg.

Now PG seems to have even stricter limits. All I could find was one carryon bag with a 5kg limit. Yet it allow a 56 x 36 x 23 centimeter bag, same a VN. If weight is not an issue, I'd like to take my 18" roller bag. I could see nothing about personal items or CPAPs. Thoughts?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Generally airlines do not count the size or weight of 'essential medical items required by the passenger' in your hand luggage allowance provided that these are reasonable and not excessively bulky. I can't say for the specifics of VN or PG but neither are real LCCs and I would be very surprised if you faced issues.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: BAEC
Bangkok airlines does have some info

https://www.bangkokair.com/special-baggage/CPAP-POC

Vietnam airlines is a bit more vague

https://www.vietnamairlines.com/vn/e...ecial-services

Scroll down, it mentions that they need prior notification of a CPAP machine on flights to/from the US. But otherwise not.

If you want more reassurance I would call the airlines for advice. But I would be fairly certain you would be fine assuming the CPAP counts as extra cabin baggage.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Bangkok Air does say that you can bring your CPAP as long as you drain the water. As mine has no battery, that is not an issue. What isn't said is whether it counts as your carry on. I assume it does not but wish it said so. Oh well ....
Old Oct 26, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
On all the Asian airlines I've been on, apart ftom SQ,there hasn't been a concern with passengers and their carryon. I'd see groups with 3 big bags each.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
On all the Asian airlines I've been on, apart ftom SQ,there hasn't been a concern with passengers and their carryon. I'd see groups with 3 big bags each.
We found that very true on intra-China flights. Overhead space filled very quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.