Shenzhen Airlines long haul economy experiences?

Old Sep 12, 19, 12:26 pm
  #1  
lsi
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: London
Posts: 36
Shenzhen Airlines long haul economy experiences?

Am taking the family from London to BKK in April and have seen some fairly stunning fares in economy on Shenzhen Airlines (as in up to 700-800 GBP cheaper for the four of us than the next best option on the dates we need...)

At that kind of discount we'd obviously be prepared to suffer certain relative hardships, but I would love to hear from anyone who has any thoughts on...

- What is their economy class like (I've found it weirdly difficult to find information on seat pitch, etc)?
- Is there a humane way to spend a 6-8 hour layover in SZX with two under 12s in tow?

Any insights would be hugely appreciated...
lsi is offline  
Old Sep 12, 19, 8:44 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,321
I've never flown ZH longhual, but it can't be that bad.

The main reason I'm replying is to opine on that 6-8 hour layover at SZX. While terminal is big and beautiful, I couldn't imagine spending 6 hours there on purpose. Just try to imagine an enormous shopping mall chalk full of stores selling things like wedding dresses and $10,000 handbags, yet with remarkably few places to eat. The good news is that there's now a Hyatt House and Hyatt Place really close to the terminal (i.e. just walk across the pickup/dropoff road); they look pretty spiffy from the outside. Unfortunately, if you don't have a PRC visa, there's some chance that you wouldn't be granted an entry permit, even with a hotel reservation. This is much less likely to be an issue if your layover is > ~8 hours and/or at night.
lsi likes this.

Last edited by moondog; Sep 13, 19 at 10:24 am
moondog is offline  
Old Sep 13, 19, 5:35 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 49
Granted that I have never flown ZH long-haul, I have flown ZH domestically many times and I think they are probably one of the best Chinese airlines out there. If you have flown with and can tolerate CA/MU/CZ you will be fine with ZH.
lsi likes this.
akl_cat is offline  
Old Sep 13, 19, 10:10 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SIN/SZX
Programs: A3*G/KFEG
Posts: 113
I fly ZH very often and I agree that they are probably one of the better domestic Chinese carriers.

But, the LHR route is a new one so I guess it'll be a slight gamble. I do agree that the fares are really tempting.
razorblade is offline  
Old Sep 13, 19, 11:35 am
  #5  
lsi
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: London
Posts: 36
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I've never flown ZH longhual, but it can't be that bad.

The main reason I'm replying is to opine on that 6-8 hour layover at SZX. While terminal is big and beautiful, I couldn't imagine spending 6 hours there on purpose. Just try to imagine an enormous shopping mall chalk full of stores selling things like wedding dresses and $10,000 handbags, yet with remarkably few places to eat. The good news is that there's now a Hyatt House and Hyatt Place really close to the terminal (i.e. just walk across the pickup/dropoff road); they look pretty spiffy from the outside. Unfortunately, if you don't have a PRC visa, there's some chance that you wouldn't be granted an entry permit, even with a hotel reservation. This is much less likely to be an issue if your layover is > ~8 hours and/or at night.
This is good input, thanks. From the sounds of it spending the extra money for QR would be worth it...
lsi is offline  
Old Sep 14, 19, 12:57 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SIN/SZX
Programs: A3*G/KFEG
Posts: 113
Originally Posted by lsi View Post
This is good input, thanks. From the sounds of it spending the extra money for QR would be worth it...
There's TWOV at SZX if that's your worry.
razorblade is offline  
Old Sep 14, 19, 2:27 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NRT / HND
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Posts: 4,257
Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
There's TWOV at SZX if that's your worry.
Is that fairly recent? SZX was one of the cities excluded from TWOV, though I never understood why.
dvs7310 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 19, 2:56 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,321
Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
There's TWOV at SZX if that's your worry.
TWOV doesn't always guarantee an entry permit, particularly on shorter layovers, and you wouldn't want to be stuck in that place for six hours if you had other options. Maybe Saudi Arabia TWOV is worse, I guess.
moondog is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:42 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SIN/SZX
Programs: A3*G/KFEG
Posts: 113
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
Is that fairly recent? SZX was one of the cities excluded from TWOV, though I never understood why.
Yes it's fairly recent. I've seen TWOV counters when entering SZX as well.

More info here: https://www.chinadiscovery.com/shenz...hour-twov.html
razorblade is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:44 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SIN/SZX
Programs: A3*G/KFEG
Posts: 113
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
TWOV doesn't always guarantee an entry permit, particularly on shorter layovers, and you wouldn't want to be stuck in that place for six hours if you had other options. Maybe Saudi Arabia TWOV is worse, I guess.
That's true I guess. Im lucky enough that my passport grants me visa free to most countries.

I do agree that SZX international air side is a horrendous place to be stuck at for 6 hours.
razorblade is offline  
Old Sep 15, 19, 10:39 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 30,321
Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
Yes it's fairly recent. I've seen TWOV counters when entering SZX as well.

More info here: https://www.chinadiscovery.com/shenz...hour-twov.html
The linked article pertains to the 144 hour TWOV; 24 hour TWOV has been in place at pretty much all PRC airports since the late 90s for all passports, though some airports, including SZX, have had unique restrictions at various times.
moondog is offline  
Old Sep 19, 19, 10:29 am
  #12  
lsi
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: London
Posts: 36
Thanks for the replies to this! Six hours airside in SZX would be cruel and unusual from the sounds of it, so I guess we'll look for alternate routes...
lsi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread