Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with previous incident threads, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those on the flight. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Reasonable speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

5. FlyerTalk complies with international copyright agreements. Please do not post full copyrighted articles; summarize the salient points, cite properly and post links. Entire copyrighted articles will be summarily deleted.

6. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.
Print Wikipost

Lion Air flight from Jakarta has crashed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:46 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Lion Air flight from Jakarta to Pangkal Pinang has crashed shortly after takeoff

Seeing breaking reports about this but no details yet.

Last edited by 355F1; Oct 28, 2018 at 8:53 pm
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:47 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Looks like the Sydney Herald has some info:

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/li...29-p50cmu.html
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Flightradar24 reporting that it’s a 737 MAX 8. Delivered in August of this year. If that’s true, this would be the first accident of this model.

fingers crossed hopefully everyone is ok.

Last edited by secretalcoholic; Oct 28, 2018 at 9:15 pm
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
Flightradar24 reporting that it’s a 737 MAX 8. Delivered in August of this year. If that’s true, this would be the first accident of this model.

fingers crossed hopefully everyone is ok.
sadly local news confirmed debris has been found
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Check out Flight-Tracker playback function

It appears that the JT610 flight took off at 2321UTC and reached a maximum altitude of 5,375ft at 2326UTC while still over Jakarta. After this it continued on course for five more minutes, during which altitude seemed to fluctuate up and down until the radar return ended.

Something seems to have been drastically wrong here, seemingly climbing more slowly than usual and continuing on course rather than an immediate return.

With an almost new aircraft there can't be any maintenance issues.

Please note: header should refer to "Flight-Radar's flight tracking function".

We can but pray that there will be survivors and an explanation found.

Last edited by TemboOne; Oct 28, 2018 at 9:55 pm Reason: addendum to header
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier, BA, AA, HHonors Gold
No sign of any survivors.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:47 pm

The BBC provides more details. 😢

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46014463
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:10 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Over 180 passengers and crew onboard, and problems from takeoff.

The aircraft had difficulties levelling out, and asked ATC to return to CGK not long after take off.

Evidently, sadly, it didn't make it.

M
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Very sad news
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:26 am

Ugh. So sorry to see this. Indonesian air safety woes continue.
Paella747 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Very sad to see this.

Lion Air has been expanding greatly the last 5 years, and there have been some scandals with pilots.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:43 am

Apparently the plane had indications prior to flying that it was not fit to fly...

And not to be distasteful in light of this tragedy, but I'll mention what I have said before even... in certain countries, most specifically Indonesia, I always go out of my way to pay more for Garuda. I guess they do not fly every route conceivable, and surely they are not fool-proof, but I think they are called for.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:49 am

It's hard not to initially point the blame to some of the apparent systemic safety issues of the operating of commercial aircraft in that region, but would be very curious to know the role of Boeing and issues with the plane that was delivered - if it was an unrecoverable fault it would be Boeing's biggest scandal in a very, very long time.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Very very sad...
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Horrible situation for the families. Some colleagues and I were actually sitting in my office here in Indonesia talking about Lion Air about a half and hour before we heard about the crash. My heart immediately dropped when I heard about the crash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.