Wiki Posts
Search

OZ or MU: UK to China

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
OZ or MU: UK to China

I have a work trip from London to Shanghai and Chengdu next month. I'll be flying Business, and ordinarily I would fly oneworld, but it's much more expensive this time (no Avios and tier points for me!).

The best options look to be either MU LHR-PVG, CTU-PVG-LHR or, OZ LHR-ICN-PVG, CTU-ICN-LHR and I'm trying to work out which would be better - I've never flown either,

The flight times on MU would be best (plus there's a direct flight on the outbound), and I like the reverse herringbone. However, I have read that smoking can be quite common onboard, which would really put me off. That's the big one for me. I've read about rude/indifferent service, but I have found that with other carriers, too depending on the crew. Is the food any good?

With OZ, I'm unfamiliar with the seat on the A350, but I have heard good things about the service. The main drawback is the timing of the return. It departs CTU at 00:20, arriving at ICN at 04:30 with a layover of 09:40 before an afternoon flight back to LHR.

I'd love some insight/advice here.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:33 pm

I've only flown MU ex-USA, and found service is not as polished, but have not found them unfriendly yet. Food ex-LAX was good if you like Chinese food and there are several selections, even without reserving ahead.

However, I like OZ much more. Service is better and consistent. A350 has their newest business product. I think odd-numbered rows have the honeymoon seats in the middle section, so stay away from those. If you won't be too tired, you can do a short day-trip into Seoul using the AREX, airport express train to Seoul Station. I think the first one departs around 5:20am from T1 and takes just over 40 minutes. Temperature should be just right in October.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:38 pm

I've flown MU many times, both long haul and domestically in China. The seats and IFE on the 777 are good. The service is generally very good. Flights attendants mostly try very hard to do a good job. Language is not an issue on international flights. Very rarely I've had language problems domestically. I've had indifferent crews occasionally, but that's true with all airlines in my experience. The food is ok. I've never had an awful meal, but it is mediocre most of the time. I've experienced smoking odor on only a few flights (out of many), and it was only for very brief periods. I greatly dislike smelling smoke, but I wouldn't let that discourage you from flying MU.
You would probably also qualify for the limo service at PVG and/or LHR. I'm not sure if it is offered for LHR though.
I've only got limited experience with OZ so I'll let someone else advise you on that.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:43 pm

Have you considered CZ...twice daily flights from London. Superior in my opinion to MU (though not a direct flight to Shanghai). You will find them competitively priced in Business class. Depending on when you fly, they may operate their new 787-9 which has 1-2-1 layout in J. Otherwise it’s 2-2-2...lie flat or course.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Bub001
Have you considered CZ...twice daily flights from London. Superior in my opinion to MU (though not a direct flight to Shanghai). You will find them competitively priced in Business class. Depending on when you fly, they may operate their new 787-9 which has 1-2-1 layout in J. Otherwise it’s 2-2-2...lie flat or course.
The CAN connection has the potential to be a BIG problem, though only about 30% of the time.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
I did PVG-LHR once and I found it to be okay, although that's considering I did it in Y as opposed to J.

In all my times on MU (18 flights so far over the last two years, both domestic and international) I've never seen anyone smoke nor have I smelled cigarette smoke in the cabin, so I wonder if the image of Chinese passengers smoking on-board is still accurate. The soft product isn't the best, but the hard product is definitely up there.

For me, YMMV when flying a Chinese carrier, but MU is definitely okay in my book. They're my airline of choice now between Asia and the US, and if I had to fly to Europe from Asia I'd fly them again.
Bub001 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Thanks for the input everyone. It's very helpful.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Akiestar
I did PVG-LHR once and I found it to be okay, although that's considering I did it in Y as opposed to J.

In all my times on MU (18 flights so far over the last two years, both domestic and international) I've never seen anyone smoke nor have I smelled cigarette smoke in the cabin, so I wonder if the image of Chinese passengers smoking on-board is still accurate. The soft product isn't the best, but the hard product is definitely up there.

For me, YMMV when flying a Chinese carrier, but MU is definitely okay in my book. They're my airline of choice now between Asia and the US, and if I had to fly to Europe from Asia I'd fly them again.
I don’t think there are many passengers who smoke, it is more likely to be the pilots. It seems mostly to be first class passengers who report cigarette odor on Chinese flights. It wouldn’t surprise me. Last year, I was flying in the second row of a domestic China Eastern flight, across the aisle in the first row was a deadheading pilot. He placed his flightbag next to the bulkhead in the vacant window seat, rather than the overhead bin, and he reclined his seat immediatly after boarding. Shortly before take off, the flight attendant asked him to place his seat in the upright position, he did, until the flight attendant returned to her jumpseat on the opposite side of the bulkhead, and he reclined his seat again.

If Chinese pilots brazenly disregard the rules in the public space of the cabin, of course they will disregard the rules when flying.

Of course, there was the highly embarrassing incident for Air China, where the pilots caused a depressurization incident by trying to cover up the smell of their cigarettes.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd take MU on this routing for both the nonstop and avoiding the brutal return flight timings from CTU. Smoking is still prevalent by the pilots but it doesn't really smell that bad in the cabins and it's not like it's a huge cloud of smoke, the filters do a good job on the plane. MU has made great strides in the past 3 years and they are now my preferred airline when flying to the EU or USA from China.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I'd take MU on this routing for both the nonstop and avoiding the brutal return flight timings from CTU. Smoking is still prevalent by the pilots but it doesn't really smell that bad in the cabins and it's not like it's a huge cloud of smoke, the filters do a good job on the plane. MU has made great strides in the past 3 years and they are now my preferred airline when flying to the EU or USA from China.
10 years ago, I couldn't have fathomed praising MU, but I actually like them now as well. I use Delta for my USA trips most of the time because their new ATL flight works great for me, and I like 9-abreast 777s. I'm pretty much done with UA and AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.