Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent China Southern PE to Business Paid Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Recent China Southern PE to Business Paid Upgrades

Have JFK to CAN and return coming up. In paid PE currently. Any recent experience with asking if any paid upgrades at check-in exist? IE at the counter.

Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Have JFK to CAN and return coming up. In paid PE currently. Any recent experience with asking if any paid upgrades at check-in exist? IE at the counter.

Thanks!
During early 2017 friends of mine flew LAX-CAN, they upgraded to PE for USD150. Not sure if that was at the airport or offered by email in advance (I'm pretty sure it was at the airport, so definitely worth asking at check-in). They said it was good value.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
During early 2017 friends of mine flew LAX-CAN, they upgraded to PE for USD150. Not sure if that was at the airport or offered by email in advance (I'm pretty sure it was at the airport, so definitely worth asking at check-in). They said it was good value.
I'd pay that for sure! However I am in PE already on a paid fare. Looking for Business

If I can pay 300-500 I'd jump on it.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
I'd pay that for sure! However I am in PE already on a paid fare. Looking for Business

If I can pay 300-500 I'd jump on it.
It would help if i could read!
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:15 pm

I believe it is between 800-1000USD. I think it will cost you more if you try to do it at checkin than on the plane (at checkin they will have access to the fare bucket for your original ticket), whereas on board I think it’s just a flat fee. Please report back, though, if you do get a definitive number.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Bub001
I believe it is between 800-1000USD. I think it will cost you more if you try to do it at checkin than on the plane (at checkin they will have access to the fare bucket for your original ticket), whereas on board I think it’s just a flat fee. Please report back, though, if you do get a definitive number.
I have only ever flown CZ in J (not showing off its often cheaper from New Zealand to China than PE on Air New Zealand or Qantas). Many of my flights I hear them offering upgrades on board. I don't think I have ever noticed anyone doing this from Y, but on a flight a few weeks ago from CAN-AKL a guy sitting next to me disappeared into F before takeoff and there seemed to be a payment. No idea what he paid.

On a vaguely related topic last night on my flight from CAN-HGH halfway through the short flight a pax from Y rocked up into business class, took and empty seat and kicked back reading the paper till just before landing when he moved back. Crew didnt say anything.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
On a vaguely related topic last night on my flight from CAN-HGH halfway through the short flight a pax from Y rocked up into business class, took and empty seat and kicked back reading the paper till just before landing when he moved back. Crew didnt say anything.
The FAs don't get paid enough to care about such things, and most graduate to better jobs within 2-3 years.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:08 pm
Suspended

During my recent Delta Connet flight from Las to Lax, I saw a Chinese guy (Asian men holding a Chinese newspaper) upgraded himself. He just moved without asking or being asked after the plane door closed.
To be honest, there is little difference between regular Y seat and C seat on Delta Connect. But he got a muffin instead of peanuts. :-)
So, self upgrade also happened on U.S. carriers and if one is brave enough...

Last edited by Mama; Nov 2, 2018 at 4:29 pm
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

I'll report back. Going end of this month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.