Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

PAL charging for aisle seats - poor behavior, not honoring original selections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red

So I seat selected an aisle/window combo on A330 when I booked fares back in November. I do know they are never guaranteed, but they have always stuck in the past.

Subsequently they have introduced a charge for aisle seats.

They have now dumped us in middle seats because we didn't pay a fee (which at the time did not exist). No advice in the interim of how we could secure the seats by paying a fee - although I don't think I should have to pay and original selection should be honored.

Oh yes we're Elite as well - nice touch PAL, maybe we wont be back after this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:57 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the discussion as the thread moves to the appropriate Other Asian Airlines forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: BAEC
Well, that's hardly 4* service.
And what's so special about isle seats in any case?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:34 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by plunet
Then you'd be pleased to know that Garuda as a 5-star airline charges over ~USD50 to select seats even on the shortest intl flights.

that aside, this reminds me a lot about when MH temporarily had free seat selections. I can't help but feel that this must be amongst the stupidest decisions they've made. Aisle seats, really? They should either keep the normal seats FOC, or charge for everything (but I am definitely hoping for the former)
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:45 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
In my experience it helps to be polite and firm at check-in and to insist on your assigned seats until you get them. PAL has done that a few times with me when they changed prices or swapped equipment. Most people don't bother pushing back, but if you do (wihtout becoming obnoxious) eventually they give in and give you what you bought.
They moved me to the back of the bus when they introduced charges for seats up front - got my old seat back.
Was downgraded from Premium Economy to Economy when they swapped their new A330 out for a B777 - and eventually got a business class seat.
It always annoys me when they try to do this stuff and expect to get away with it...
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:47 am
R2

I had a somewhat related experience a couple of years back.

I was travelling SIN-MNL with my wife on two different PNRs. Flight was pretty full and they could not give us seats next to each other at check-in. She was assigned a seat at the back of the plane, I was given an exit seat (for free).

Once boarding was complete, I asked the purser if my wife could join me as the two seats next to me were vacant. Yes, is the answer, but only if we pay the additional priority seat fee (USD30 or whatever it was).

I decline the offer politely and made her aware being unhappy with the decision. A little later they invited my wife to take a vacant seat in the row behind me but despite my very friendly request would not allow her to sit with me in the exit row unless we paid for it.

It wasn't a big deal but I was surprised how rigid they were. If this was requesting someone to move from Economy to Business I would have completely understood it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:04 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Honestly, I am very surprised by this development. I thought Tan (and Bautista) wanted to do away with San Miguel's strategy of charging everything. And to think that they continually market themselves as the premier airline of the Philippines.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
1 international flight, 2 domestics and was moved from all pre-selected seats. Got comparable seats at airport (nothing was available at online check in) - but that was at Auckland and I was more confortable being firm. For domestics just sucked it up and actually enjoyed the window seat for a change.

Last edited by jeffrocowboy; Aug 22, 2018 at 5:09 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:29 am

Seems like they do this with free pre-selected seats but has anyone experienced the same with paid 'special' seats or do they allow to keep your selection if you have paid extra for it?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
When I have to go to the toilet or walk for some exercise (on long-haul flights) it is easier for me (I am 195cm or 6'5") to be in an aisle seat. If someone in the middle seat or windiow seat needs "to go" then I welcome the additional chance of getting up and moving a bit more.
I get so fed up with flying economy in aisle seats, that for long-hauls I usually fly Business Class unless they are incredibly expensive... BUT if I plan ahead - say 5 months ahead - and fly strategically chosing my airlines - I can often get a decent priced Business class seat with plenty of room.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Angry

Thank you for letting us know about this PR practice.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Gilligan, Ginger and Mary Ann are there for starters.
moondog likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:45 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Spider
Seems like they do this with free pre-selected seats but has anyone experienced the same with paid 'special' seats or do they allow to keep your selection if you have paid extra for it?
This is often caused by change of equipment, so it can happen with paid seat assignments as well. I had a confirmed Premium Economy seat and was downgraded to Economy - until I told them what I thought off that...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.